Farmers

Started by Aerlik, July 04, 2008, 10:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

was jimmy Burke a farmer? On another website a members funniest moment was reading a programme stating that he was out injured with a back injury caused by "pulling a calf" would love to see that programme  :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

mouview

Other notable Galwegians were Noel Tierney and Tom 'Pook' Dillon (as distinct from John). Sligo's Micky Kearns was surely the most high profile in Connacht - known in marts far and wide as a buyer.

D4S

Nobody mentioning if any of those they have named have all ireland medals? Only 1 I've seen so far is Ambrose Rogers who I named, who has an all ireland minor medal 77 and senior 1991.  Forgot to mention earlier, although he didn't win an allstar he was an allstar replacement in 1987 and went on the tour to the states!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

moysider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 04, 2008, 01:36:26 PM
was jimmy Burke a farmer? On another website a members funniest moment was reading a programme stating that he was out injured with a back injury caused by "pulling a calf" would love to see that programme  :D

Think Jimmy was a plumber but he was plagued by back injuries as well. Around Mayo there are nt too many full time farmers while there would be lots of fellas would have a job and a bit of land as well. Jimmy probably fell into that bracket in all probability. Joe McGrath was a farmer as well to the best of my knowledge. The 81 team had a good sprinkling of them. Anthony Egan another part-time farmer with back trouble. Christ but they were big strong boys who never saw a weights programme in their lives.

Donegal Danny

In Donegal Noel Hegarty on the 1992 All Ireland winning team was and still is a sheep farmer in Glencolmcille although he has a pub now as well. On the present team big Neil Gallagher from Glenswilly is a part time Farmer, seen him heading to the bog last Monday week  with a new set of cribs on the trailer. Sold a few cattle in Raphoe mart last Thursday, said he got on well, better than against the Derry midfield anyway i said.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Donegal Danny on July 04, 2008, 02:20:29 PM
In Donegal Noel Hegarty on the 1992 All Ireland winning team was and still is a sheep farmer in Glencolmcille although he has a pub now as well. On the present team big Neil Gallagher from Glenswilly is a part time Farmer, seen him heading to the bog last Monday week  with a new set of cribs on the trailer. Sold a few cattle in Raphoe mart last Thursday, said he got on well, better than against the Derry midfield anyway i said.

:D Could you be more specific Danny was it a 10* 12
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

moysider

Quote from: Donegal Danny on July 04, 2008, 02:20:29 PM
In Donegal Noel Hegarty on the 1992 All Ireland winning team was and still is a sheep farmer in Glencolmcille although he has a pub now as well. On the present team big Neil Gallagher from Glenswilly is a part time Farmer, seen him heading to the bog last Monday week  with a new set of cribs on the trailer. Sold a few cattle in Raphoe mart last Thursday, said he got on well, better than against the Derry midfield anyway i said.

Player grants must be in already so.

moysider

Was Kerry CHB in 97 O Flaherta a farmer? I remember Colm O Rourke saying that every team should have a farmer or two like him. Or did he just look like he should have been a farmer?

Was nt Paddy Bawn Brosnan a fisherman? Surely thats very rare?

AZOffaly

Rare now anyway because it doesn't pay to be a near shore fisherman, and the lads who go away for weeks at a time would miss a fair bit of training :D

Timmy Flemming who played with Kerry for a while was a sheep farmer. He used to run up the side of a hill in Killorglin with a sheep in his arms for stamina training. At least that's what he claimed it was for! :D

the Deel Rover

Off topic i know but speaking of kerrymen could anyone recommend any good book on Tom Crean?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AZOffaly

I think Kerry Mike had some recommendation there a while ago. Maybe it's in non-GAA under books?

the Deel Rover

Thanks Az will check it out
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

blanketattack

Quote from: D4S on July 04, 2008, 02:06:30 PM
Nobody mentioning if any of those they have named have all ireland medals? Only 1 I've seen so far is Ambrose Rogers who I named, who has an all ireland minor medal 77 and senior 1991.  Forgot to mention earlier, although he didn't win an allstar he was an allstar replacement in 1987 and went on the tour to the states!

Tim Kennelly has 5 All-Ireland medals.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: blanketattack on July 04, 2008, 03:14:13 PM

who hasn't in Kerry :P
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

D4S

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 04, 2008, 03:18:48 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on July 04, 2008, 03:14:13 PM

who hasn't in Kerry :P

They give them out in change down there when you go into the shop for a packet of sweets!!!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.