Farmers

Started by Aerlik, July 04, 2008, 10:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Best farmer footballers
03 July 2008

The Irish Farmers Journal is currently running a competition to find the best farmer footballers of the last 60 years. We need your help to pick the best farmer footballers in your county and are looking for nominations from GAA fans in all 32 counties.

Among those already on the shortlist are Tim Kennelly Kerry, Liam Harnan Meath, Barry Coffey Cork, Tomas Mannion Galway, Gerry Connellan Roscommon, John Quane Limerick, Pat and Paddy Reynolds Meath, Seán Grennan and Vinny Claffey Offaly, John Dillion Galway, Michael Ennis Westmeath and Michael Duignan Leitrim.

The judging panel consists of Farmers Journal sports writer Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh, former Director General of the GAA Liam Mulvihill, former Meath Manager and current International Rules Manager Seán Boylan and Pat Smith IFA Telecom Director of Organisation. Launching the IFA Telecom Farmers 15: Football competition, Micheál Ó Muicheartaigh said "the selection of the team over the coming weeks will highlight the tremendous depth of talent and commitment shown by farm families to the GAA over the decades." 

To nominate simply text football followed by the player's name, his county and the position he played to 51444 (86122 in Northern Ireland) or email football@farmersjournal.ie or post to Irish Farmers Journal, IFA Telecom Farmers 15, Irish Farm Centre, Bluebell, Dublin 12 .

The heart and soul of the nation...
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

brokencrossbar1

Collie Byrne of Mullaghbawn should win it hands down!!!!!!

stpauls

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 04, 2008, 10:40:49 AM
Collie Byrne of Mullaghbawn should win it hands down!!!!!!

is it for farmers who are inter county footballers, or just footballing farmers?
if it is the latter, Collie Byrne should have the No. 3 sewn up alright!!   ;D ;D ;D

Hardy

Harnan was one of the firmer former farmer footballers.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Hardy on July 04, 2008, 10:45:32 AM

Alliteration at it's very best ;D  Although how you know that Harnan is "firmer" raises more questions than answers :-*

Shamrock Shore

Newstalk 106 Off the Ball program discussed this last night.

The lads decided that Bernard Morris from Cavan was a shoo-in.

I can't better that. From a Longford point of view most of the players, past and present, are/were solicitors or accountants.

Onlooker

you could not leave out Lar Foley and Des Foley(Dublin).

GaillimhIarthair

Already mentioned above, but Tomás Mannion is a top 3 candidate.  An absolute gentleman off the pitch, but would go through fella's for a short cut once inside the white wash.

stephenite

At the moment I can't think of Mayo footballers that are farmers - but dual All Ireland medallist, Tomas Mannion of Galway was a farmer I think, surely the most deserving of this accolade

EDIT : apologies GaillimhIarthair, didn't read your post

Louth Exile

Your man Power from Kilkenny, raw as rope, or the former Offaly keeper Jim Troy.

Although, to make the list you really should have done a telly ad for 10/10/20

Sorry, read it over and see that it is for big ball men, still it should have the hurlers too
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

North Longford

QuoteI can't better that. From a Longford point of view most of the players, past and present, are/were solicitors or accountants

And as if we need delve any further into where we are going wrong ;D

Hardy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 04, 2008, 10:51:50 AM
Quote from: Hardy on July 04, 2008, 10:45:32 AM

Alliteration at it's very best ;D  Although how you know that Harnan is "firmer" raises more questions than answers :-*

Ah gwan. I was thinking more of the firmness of his shoulder as compared to that of Barney Rock's collar bone.

Uladh

Is Brian Lohan a farmer?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: stephenite on July 04, 2008, 11:08:35 AM
At the moment I can't think of Mayo footballers that are farmers - but dual All Ireland medallist, Tomas Mannion of Galway was a farmer I think, surely the most deserving of this accolade

EDIT : apologies GaillimhIarthair, didn't read your post

same as that stephenite an absoulute disgrace if mayo never played farmers :D john Maughan went to mountbellew farming college but i think he was a farmers son, probably relaised there was a lot of work in the dairy faming  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

orangeman

The hardest man and most skilful ever to play hurling was John Power Kilkenny - if he ran into you, you knew he had !