Farmers

Started by Aerlik, July 04, 2008, 10:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D4S

Ambrose Rogers Senior...Farmer all his life worked 20 hours a day played football for 3 and maybe had an hour off! Unfortunately it all took it's toll probably and he died in 1999 at the age of 39! An unbelievable character, a hard man and an asset to down and ulster football...and he fought back from injury to get his elusive all ireland medal in 1991.  His son Ambrose Junior is now playing great football for Down.  He has to be the man!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: orangeman on July 04, 2008, 11:23:20 AM
The hardest man and most skilful ever to play hurling was John Power Kilkenny - if he ran into you, you knew he had !

Ye he was probably one of my favourite hurlers
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AZOffaly

Hurlers has to be the ivomec duo of Joe Cooney and John Fenton. Crashes through Hoose, Roundworm and Liverfluke!

western exile

Quote from: D4S on July 04, 2008, 11:27:19 AM
Ambrose Rogers Senior...Farmer all his life worked 20 hours a day played football for 3 and maybe had an hour off! Unfortunately it all took it's toll probably and he died in 1999 at the age of 39! An unbelievable character, a hard man and an asset to down and ulster football...and he fought back from injury to get his elusive all ireland medal in 1991.  His son Ambrose Junior is now playing great football for Down.  He has to be the man!

I second that!   Winnng an All-Ireland minor medal in 1977 and finished his footballing career with a senior All-Ireland celtic cross in 1991.  He did not have many equals on the football field during that period.

D4S

Thanks western exile he was a legend in our club!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Billys Boots

QuoteThe lads decided that Bernard Morris from Cavan was a shoo-in.

And they'd be right!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Canalman

Brian Lohan is an Auctioneer I think.

Paddy Reilly, Dublin centre back of 1974 was also a farmer according to Newstalk last night.

Orior

Quote from: Canalman on July 04, 2008, 12:00:40 PM

Paddy Reilly, Dublin centre back of 1974 was also a farmer according to Newstalk last night.

At last, the Dubs can join in on this thread.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Louth Exile

Quote from: Canalman on July 04, 2008, 12:00:40 PM

Him and Niall Gilligan  ???
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Hardy

Paddy Reilly was Right Half Back.

Uladh

Quote from: Hardy on July 04, 2008, 12:24:04 PM
Paddy Reilly was Right Half Back.

Couldn't be much of a living in that?

Feckitt

Paddy Reilly isn't a farmer, but he had some connections to the fruit and veg trade at one point.  Ran a restaurant as well in the early nineties. 

Big Ambrose has to be a cert for the team.  As an Armagh man, he sometimes beat us singlehandedly

Canalman

Orior, there are alot of GAA clubs in the County of Dublin situated in agricultural areas, maybe not as much farming in these areas now as there used to be.

Man of War, Garristown, Fingal Ravens, St Martins Brittas,St Finians Newcastle, St Maurs, Round Towers Lusk, Clann Mhuire, St Margarets sprin to mind while up to recently St Marys Saggart, Skerries Harps and O' Dwyers would have had a strong farming influence. As a young lad playing junior football out in the wilds of Fingal these "farmers" were formidable ahem !!!!! individuals.

Stars of Erin in Glencullen would always have had alot of stonemasons and quarrymen playing for them some years ago.

As pointed out already the 2 Foleys were farmers in Kinsealy,  absolute legends the 2 of them. Sadly they both passed away far too young.  

moysider

Mayo s Willie Nally - MOM in Connacht final 1981- was a farmer. Story goes he was nt going to play that game because there was rain promised and he had a field of hay ready to bale . The Chairman of the Board  P**** ******* assured him he would get a few lads to look after the hay and off he goes and plays a stormer. Returning home after the match the hay is still lying in the field  wringing wet and beyond rescuing as it rained for weeks after. Willy was poor in semi final v Kerry and never really featured for the county again. Any wonder.

Galforever

QuoteMayo s Willie Nally - MOM in Connacht final 1981- was a farmer. Story goes he was nt going to play that game because there was rain promised and he had a field of hay ready to bale . The Chairman of the Board  P**** ******* assured him he would get a few lads to look after the hay and off he goes and plays a stormer. Returning home after the match the hay is still lying in the field  wringing wet and beyond rescuing as it rained for weeks after. Willy was poor in semi final v Kerry and never really featured for the county again. Any wonder.

Never heard that story before but man its a classic  ;D