Who is the best sportsperson of all time?

Started by screenexile, June 17, 2008, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

With all respect to rowing I just dont think their top competitors can be compared in terms of sports ability to people like maradona/jordan etc. Their talent is focused on delivering the same movement over and over again in a boat, so while they are awesome athletes in terms of endurance (and amazing longevity on redgraves part), for me they lack the broad range of skills that made the greats of other sports.

In particular the sport has no creative scope for spontaneous moments of genius where something out of blue happens - jordan's buzzer beaters - great goals, etc

Check out Larry Bird on youtube to see what I mean
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Surely then this poll would need to be split into different sections, best individual sportsperson, best team sportsperson, last 30 years, previous century etc..
Tbc....

thewingedlady

I'll go along with Jordan as well screen, huge fan of his. Hard to believe that he was only 3rd pick in the college draft, it just shows you that he worked his ass off to get to where he got to.

EC Unique

Michael Schumacher dominated his sport for a long time and was the ultimate professional.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ildanach

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 17, 2008, 01:21:08 PM
We shouldnt discount our own stars just because we are more familar with them and they dont have multimillion pound commerical deals! And if we assume Peter was Irelands best player in his prime we can follow that by saying he was the worlds best player too. I think Redgrave is a great role model, has unbelievable endurance and longevity in his sport - but he certainly never made me jump out of my seat with a moment of brilliance!

Considering he did not make the team of the milleneum that was selected in August 99(he had been playing senior intercounty since 1994) is it not a big assumption he was ireland best player. But lets say he was one of the best players of his generation.
If we want a gaelic player and rower combined we should throw mick o connell into the equation!!  
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

BennyHarp

That was never a square ball!!

stephenite

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 17, 2008, 01:21:08 PM
QuoteNo, I would say he wasn't! To be part of a winning team (Best in the world, of couse Canavan couldn't do this but we are comparing them), on five occasions spanning 16 years... well that beats Canavan's medal haul anyway!

People always instinctively mention Steve Redgrave when this "Greatest Sportsman ever" debate pops up! I do admit that his achievement is impressive - but in terms of being a sportsman? Not so sure! I'd like the greatest sportsman ever to display an element of skill that takes your breath away -Tiger Woods, Maradonna, Michael Jordan and yes (obviously biased) Peter Canavan!

We shouldnt discount our own stars just because we are more familar with them and they dont have multimillion pound commerical deals! And if we assume Peter was Irelands best player in his prime we can follow that by saying he was the worlds best player too. I think Redgrave is a great role model, has unbelievable endurance and longevity in his sport - but he certainly never made me jump out of my seat with a moment of brilliance!

I take your point - sort of. However, if Peter Canavan had managed to inspire Tyrone to complete dominace in terms of All Irelands won between 1995 and 2005, or even managd to win half of them he might have some entitlement to be mentioned in the same sentence of Pat Spillane - as it stands he won two All Irelands, both at the tail end of his career and both where he had to be substituted and bought back on because his body wasn't able to withstand the rigours of the game. They were marvellous acheivements for himself and for Tyonre, but they don't belong on this thread. If we're going to compare Gaelic Footballers to International sportsmen (and no reason why we shouldn't) there are better qualified names out there than Peter Canavan.

ONeill

QuoteIf we're going to compare Gaelic Footballers to International sportsmen (and no reason why we shouldn't) there are better qualified names out there than Peter Canavan.

I fully agree.

Dennis Taylor.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gortnaleck

Larry Reilly has to be in the running there-- LEGEND

Minder

Does this have to turn into a bullsh*t thread about Gaelic Football............?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods for me. Ali's greatness was to do with more than sport.

Minder

Agree with Seanie, Jordan had a very average supporting cast with the exception of Scottie Pippen (& Rodman for one season), they continually played above themselves due to Jordans presence.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Will Hunting

Quote from: rrhf on June 17, 2008, 12:19:13 PM
A great question perhaps answered by another question.
Name 1 GAA player who scored 10 points in an All ireland final and a full decade later scored 1 -1 in another all Ireland final.
and before you ask - yes it has been done. 

There's a quiz thread over on the GAA section for this kind of shite.

T O Hare

"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"