Who is the best sportsperson of all time?

Started by screenexile, June 17, 2008, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

He is also rooting at one of the Olsen twins - Leg!

Tony Baloney

Retief Goosen has come out and said that Woods was faking the extent of the injury to his knew. Both men are represented by the IMG management company so I'd say there is some busy boys there!

5 Sams

Quote from: corn02 on June 19, 2008, 01:24:52 PM
He is also rooting at one of the Olsen twins - Leg!

Is it not Kate Hudson.....he'll definitely need the steroids to keep up with thon yoke ;)
The Aristocrat Years

brokencrossbar1

You can never really picka best sporstman ever as there are so many different skills involved in each sport.  Athletics, can you pick Lewis/Johnson over the endurance of Haile Gebrselassie or Hicham El Guerrouj or a plethora of Kenyans.

Boxing, the different weight divisions make it so hard, liek somoen before I prefer the middleweight division of them all and Leonard/Duran/Hagle were to my mind the greatest boxers ever.

Lance Armstrong, the doubts are always tehre, Delgado was something special.

Snooker, what do you go for, Hendry's monotonously brilliant gameplay or O'Sullivan's or Higgins' audacious flair.

In tennis you have Federer playing with the top coaches and best equipment dominating or Borg with his undoubted class and supreme athleticism at a time of amatuerish preperation.  Certainlyit was more enjoyable back then with bigger rivallries.

In Golf, Tiger Woods is stand out at the minute.  He will eclipse all records in my mind and will truly be the greatest golfer.

then when you go to team games, the likes of Jordan, maradona, Zidane were all fantastic players, but they also had many excellent team mates which made their jobs that bit easier.  That is a reason why Canavan of the mid 90's is high up on my list as he had a crap team (bar 1 or 2) around him and still got to within a cat's whisker of the big one.

Anyway, it is impossible, so I will agree with a few posters from earlier and plump for Eddie the Eagle!  Any man who fcuks himself off the edge of a hill like he does deserves great praise, when they do it without knowing how to do it the deserve canonisation!

stew

Quote from: thejuice on June 19, 2008, 11:55:06 AM
To be honest i dont know much about sports other than GAA, Rugby and American Football but Ill throw in my 2cents for gridiron

I couldnt narrow it down to one player.

Best QB, its a toss up between Dan Marino or Joe Montana, with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady fighting for 3rd place.

Best RB Barry Sanders with Walter Payton a close 2nd, 3rd LaDainian Tomilnson

Best WR, Jerry Rice, 2nd Lynn Swann,

Best DL Laurence Taylor,

Best LB Ray Lewis

Best DB Champ Baily

Cant pick a best OL, which is a pity but its so hard to pick one, they're so anonymous

Dan Marino got to one superbowl, one, in his rookie year, Farve broke all his major records and you never mentioned him, he also to got to two superbowls and won one.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Fishbat

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 19, 2008, 02:30:36 PM
You can never really picka best sporstman ever as there are so many different skills involved in each sport.  Athletics, can you pick Lewis/Johnson over the endurance of Haile Gebrselassie or Hicham El Guerrouj or a plethora of Kenyans.

Boxing, the different weight divisions make it so hard, liek somoen before I prefer the middleweight division of them all and Leonard/Duran/Hagle were to my mind the greatest boxers ever.

Lance Armstrong, the doubts are always tehre, Delgado was something special.

Snooker, what do you go for, Hendry's monotonously brilliant gameplay or O'Sullivan's or Higgins' audacious flair.

In tennis you have Federer playing with the top coaches and best equipment dominating or Borg with his undoubted class and supreme athleticism at a time of amatuerish preperation.  Certainlyit was more enjoyable back then with bigger rivallries.

In Golf, Tiger Woods is stand out at the minute.  He will eclipse all records in my mind and will truly be the greatest golfer.

then when you go to team games, the likes of Jordan, maradona, Zidane were all fantastic players, but they also had many excellent team mates which made their jobs that bit easier.  That is a reason why Canavan of the mid 90's is high up on my list as he had a crap team (bar 1 or 2) around him and still got to within a cat's whisker of the big one.

Anyway, it is impossible, so I will agree with a few posters from earlier and plump for Eddie the Eagle!  Any man who fcuks himself off the edge of a hill like he does deserves great praise, when they do it without knowing how to do it the deserve canonisation!

Good point! plus the Egret was mostly blind into the bargain - a total genius

bcarrier

Maxwell "Max" Woosnam (September 6,1892 - July 14, 1965) was a British World War I veteran and a British sportsman.

Born to a wealthy family in Liverpool, Woosnam spent most of his childhood in Aberhafesp, Mid Wales. He attended Winchester College, where he captained the golf and cricket teams, while also representing the school at football and squash. As a schoolboy he scored 144 for a Public Schools XI while playing against the MCC at Lord's.

In 1911 he enrolled in Cambridge university. Whilst here he represented the university at football, cricket, lawn tennis, real tennis and golf (being a scratch golfer).

After Cambridge he played amateur football for the then highly successful team, Corinthian Casuals and Chelsea

In the First World War he fought alongside Siegfried Sassoon on the western front and in the Gallipoli Campaign.

After the war Woosnam continued his amateur sporting career taking part in several sporting events including Wimbledon and began to attract a great deal of fame. He declined the opportunity to become a professional sportsman, finding the idea 'vulgar'.

Upon moving to Manchester he signed for Manchester City (on amateur terms) eventually rising to become its captain at the recommendation of his team-mates. This was highly unusual for an amateur among professionals. Eventually his success allowed him to play for England (both for the amateur team and as a full international as captain). Woosnam was also selected to captain the British football team at Olympics, but refused, having already committed himself to the tennis team. He continued other sporting endeavours outside of football however, winning doubles titles at Wimbledon and the Olympics, and captaining the Great Britain Davis Cup team.

He was appointed to the board of ICI, and died in 1965 of respiratory failure.

His life is chronicled in the book All Round Genius - The Unknown Story of Britain's Greatest Sportsman, by Mick Collins.

Woosnam's uncle, Hylton Philipson, was a cricketer and played five Test matches for England.

He once defeated actor and film director Charlie Chaplin at table tennis playing with a butter knife instead of a bat.[1] Besides being a pioneer for table tennis, he was very experienced at snooker too, once achieving a maximum break.

nutsy--1

Rocky Balboa the italian stallion, the man just never gives up and he's done it all!!

BennyHarp

Roy Race - won his first league title in 1957/58 and his last in 1999/00! Thats some going and puts steve redgrave's achievements in the shade!
That was never a square ball!!

5 Sams

Another hero in the mould of Roy Race....the famous Alf Tupper....the Tough of the Track
The Aristocrat Years

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"