Who is the best sportsperson of all time?

Started by screenexile, June 17, 2008, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

After the talk on the US Open thread about who was better between Tiger and Federer I though I should start a poll on it  but I think it's so subjective that it's best to get people's individual thoughts on it.

It was always something that interested me "Who is the best sportsperson of all time?". For me it was Michael Jordan. The man was in a team sport but as an individual he was able to totally dominate a sport for the guts of 10 years (MVP in 1988 and 1998). The things he could do on a basketball court were so innovative and on another level than anyone else in the game that for me he was the best sportsperson I've ever seen.

What do the rest of you think? Tiger? Ali? I'm sure their can be justification for them all. If we get a few different nominations I'll maybe change this to a poll and see what results we get.

Dinny Breen

Muhammed Ali - Boxing
Donald Bradman - Cricket
Maradonna - Soccer
Steve Redgrave - Rowing
#newbridgeornowhere

stephenite

Tiger for me - and all the signs are that he can dominate for another 5+ years, never mind what he has achieved so far. The best ever in terms of consistency and pure nerve.

Bensars

Dont think you can compare present day stars with older stars.

Professionalism, improved training techniques, better diets, more media exposure along with greatrly improved equipment are all reasons why they cannot be compared on a like for like basis.

rrhf

Of all time great criteria would immediately suggest to me:  versatility/ bouncebackability/unpredictability/ responsibility/durability/withstandability and sheer ability

A great question perhaps answered by another question.
Name 1 GAA player who scored 10 points in an All ireland final and a full decade later scored 1 -1 in another all Ireland final.
and before you ask - yes it has been done.  

Minder

I know equipment has played a big part in golf, but when Woods needed a birdie on the last hole of the 18 hole playoff he nailed the ball 320 down the middle of the fairway. There is not too many players i could have trusted to do that and get a birdie under that pressure. Especially since Woods was very erratic with the driver yesterday.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stephenite

Quote from: rrhf on June 17, 2008, 12:19:13 PM
Of all time great criteria would immediately suggest to me:  versatility/ bouncebackability/unpredictability/ responsibility/durability/withstandability and sheer ability

A great question perhaps answered by another question.
Name 1 GAA player who scored 10 points in an All ireland final and a full decade later scored 1 -1 in another all Ireland final.
and before you ask - yes it has been done.  

Peter Canavan - not really realted to this thread mind you.

BennyHarp

QuotePeter Canavan - not really realted to this thread mind you!

Why not? Was Peter Canavan not as good a gaelic footballer as Steve Redgrave was a rower?
That was never a square ball!!

ildanach

for me it has to be someone like lance armstrong or steve redgrave both overcoming great adversties to be the best in the world in really tough sports.
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 17, 2008, 12:45:57 PM

Why not? Was Peter Canavan not as good a gaelic footballer as Steve Redgrave was a rower?

the only thing is to bring back superstars to solve this!!!!
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

screenexile

No, I would say he wasn't! To be part of a winning team (Best in the world, of couse Canavan couldn't do this but we are comparing them), on five occasions spanning 16 years... well that beats Canavan's medal haul anyway!

Billys Boots

I can't believe Conor Gormley hasn't been mentioned yet.  ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

BennyHarp

QuoteNo, I would say he wasn't! To be part of a winning team (Best in the world, of couse Canavan couldn't do this but we are comparing them), on five occasions spanning 16 years... well that beats Canavan's medal haul anyway!

People always instinctively mention Steve Redgrave when this "Greatest Sportsman ever" debate pops up! I do admit that his achievement is impressive - but in terms of being a sportsman? Not so sure! I'd like the greatest sportsman ever to display an element of skill that takes your breath away -Tiger Woods, Maradonna, Michael Jordan and yes (obviously biased) Peter Canavan!

We shouldnt discount our own stars just because we are more familar with them and they dont have multimillion pound commerical deals! And if we assume Peter was Irelands best player in his prime we can follow that by saying he was the worlds best player too. I think Redgrave is a great role model, has unbelievable endurance and longevity in his sport - but he certainly never made me jump out of my seat with a moment of brilliance!
That was never a square ball!!

ziggysego

Don't forget, Canavan suffers badly with asthma.
Testing Accessibility

stephenite

It's not comparing like with like but I would say no, Peter Canavan was not as good a gaelic footballer as Steve Redgrave was a rower simply because Redgrave managed to be consistently successful at the top of his choosen support throughout his career.

Feckitt