does mc hugh have a clue

Started by superblues, June 15, 2008, 04:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Speaking of the name "Diver" - what is the Irish version of it. I would think that should shed some light on the correct pronunciation.

Hardy

Is it a version of Ó Duibhir?

Hardy

Quote from: Yes I Would on June 18, 2008, 12:02:42 AM
Quote from: Hardy on June 17, 2008, 03:29:10 PM
I think McHugh is one of the best GAA pundits on TV. Better than all but one or two of RTÉ's anyway. Plus you get more value for money from McHugh - I'd say his words per minute rate is the highest on TV. Jarlath is very slow.

Surely it should be quality rather than quantity we should be lookin for!!

Feck, I never thought of that.

unforgiven

Quote from: J70 on June 18, 2008, 03:19:36 AM
Speaking of the name "Diver" - what is the Irish version of it. I would think that should shed some light on the correct pronunciation.

Doesn't matter what the Irish version is. I think the point exile is trying to make is that Joe pronounces it dye-ver.  Show the man a bit of respect and say his name correctly.  By the way, I think exile likes his name pronounced ball-dee ;D

Sligoper

Go on the Bunnies!

screenexile

Quote from: unforgiven on June 18, 2008, 02:40:27 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 18, 2008, 03:19:36 AM

Doesn't matter what the Irish version is. I think the point exile is trying to make is that Joe pronounces it dye-ver.  Show the man a bit of respect and say his name correctly.  By the way, I think exile likes his name pronounced ball-dee ;D

c**k!

ONeill

Quote from: screenexile on June 16, 2008, 09:35:22 AM
McHugh has lost the plot! It comes to half time in matches and he feels he has to start shooting his mouth off about whatever team he feels like. Thank God Burns is there to reel him in at times. Even yesterday he started slagging Armagh's tactics when they had clearly worked well for them in snuffing out Johnston and the fact Derry were a 'disgrace' against Donegal well that just defies belief. We struggled going into half time against a good DOnegal team and then we are a 'disgrace'? The man hasn't a clue and the sooner he gets off the TV the better. He used to be OK in fairness but this last year he has shown himself up to be a jumped up pompous ass!

DEFAMATION!!!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on June 18, 2008, 07:08:30 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 16, 2008, 09:35:22 AM
McHugh has lost the plot! It comes to half time in matches and he feels he has to start shooting his mouth off about whatever team he feels like. Thank God Burns is there to reel him in at times. Even yesterday he started slagging Armagh's tactics when they had clearly worked well for them in snuffing out Johnston and the fact Derry were a 'disgrace' against Donegal well that just defies belief. We struggled going into half time against a good DOnegal team and then we are a 'disgrace'? The man hasn't a clue and the sooner he gets off the TV the better. He used to be OK in fairness but this last year he has shown himself up to be a jumped up pompous ass!

DEFAMATION!!!

sssssssshhhhhhhhh Oneill I don't think the mods spotted it!!

Fishbat

Would it be fair to say that the Derry ones are a little edgy this year?  Expectant almost

raisins

For all you McHugh fans out there on GAA Board - He's not in studio tomorrow night. It's James McCartan instead.

young anail

Brolly fairly tore into Mc Hugh in todays GL. Can't stand Mc Hugh, I know that he gets under a lot of players skin with some of his ridiculous comments. He's like listening  to a pure poison on a bar stool!!

Maguire01

Brolly's column was highly entertaining, and more than a bit personal.  He's definitely off Marty's Christmas card list.

Donagh

Quote from: young anail on June 20, 2008, 03:04:38 PM
Brolly fairly tore into Mc Hugh in todays GL. Can't stand Mc Hugh, I know that he gets under a lot of players skin with some of his ridiculous comments. He's like listening  to a pure poison on a bar stool!!

Both barrels as well. Very funny piece. Brains indeed Martin...  :D

ONeill

Just eat tuna...

Joe Brolly column

The National Broadcaster wasn't carrying the Cavan Armagh game live last Sunday, so with some trepidation I pressed 2 on the remote and settled back. Things have changed. My first question was 'Where is Jerome Quinn?' It seems that the man who almost singlehandedly batted for the GAA in the corridors of the BBC for twenty years is gone.

There were however some familiar faces. Jarlath looked resplendent as always, a President in the making. Martin meanwhile, is the only Donegal man to dress like a Tory politician, luminous blue tie knotted in a full Windsor, and city broker pin stripe suit. Classy.

First up was a discussion on the demise of Tyrone and Benny Coulter's point that wasn't. You can always tell by the reaction of the player. As the ball tailed wide, Benny grimaced and turned away. The crowd behind the goal were silent. Then the umpire waved the flag and they erupted. The delayed reaction said it all.

So, what did the lads in the studio think of it?

Martin McHugh, came to the conclusion that "In the end, that decision didn't cost Tyrone the game." It took a minute for the penny to drop with me. My first reaction when he said it was that I must have got the final score wrong. But then I checked my notes, and realised that Tyrone had indeed lost by a single point. But apparently, that decision didn't cost them the game. If this contribution was odd, it merely set the tone.

At halftime in the live match, with Armagh leading 0-9 to 0-5 and absolutely strolling it, Martin's opening line was "Armagh have shown their limitations in the first half. They are not able to put teams away." He must have forgotten it was only half-time. But, as Jimmy Cricket was wont to say 'there's more.'

The chat turned to Armagh's defensive formation, which I thought was working a dream. Martin O'Rourke was dropping back in front of the lethal Seanie Johnston, assisted by Aaron Kernan and Paddy McKeever. The result was that by half-time Seanie hadn't touched the ball, never mind score. Martin opined that Armagh's negative approach wasn't working. "Why is that Armagh feel the need to have Martin O'Rourke dropping back in front of Seanie Johnston?" Well, let me throw out a random thought on that one Marty. Might it be because they have won six Ulster titles and an All-Ireland using that tactic?

For me, Armagh looked excellent, and had a well conceived and executed game plan. The half forward line swamped the defensive area, then counter attacked at speed. The midfield looked terrific, with young Toner playing as a veteran might. Their movement up front was exemplary. Clarke and McDonnell were eternally dangerous and generally, their game plan interlocked beautifully. Fourteen points from play, with eight different scorers, coupled with limiting the incredible Seanie Johnston to two points from play? Peter McDonnell has created a very formidable team. Who will want to play them?

I have saved the best until last, the analytical highpoint of the day. Martin, who seemed strangely agitated, turned to Jarlath and asked "What did I say before the game?" Jarlath didn't seem to be that sure. "You remember?" said Martin. "Come on, what did I say?" The two boys continued to look blankly at him. Martin soldiered on: "Didn't I say that there was one thing that would win this game?" Martin paused for effect, and I leaned forwards on my sofa, waiting for the secrets of the football universe to be unlocked. "Brains" he proudly announced, in the manner of Stephen Hawking unveiling his new theory on time travel.

So there you have it. Brains wins matches.

Fermanagh have plenty going for them. They are disciplined, they have gained great confidence from their victory over Monaghan. I should also point out that they have lost only one competitive game all year long, and that was down to a calamitous goalkeeping performance. It was not because the team under-performed. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, they have a manager who is rapidly becoming a source of envy to other counties. Malachy has demonstrated his brilliant managerial ability with every team he has taken, the fact that he brought the Loup to an Ulster title remains a source of amazement to Derry Gaels.

Fermanagh will keep it very tight on Saturday evening, they will employ at least two seepers in their defence in front of Derry's full forward line. They will tackle without fouling, and when they do foul, it will be outside the scoring zone. They will patiently hold possession at all times, and the mistakes will be at a premium. In short, they have a gameplan that extracts the absolute maximum from the team. Their two goals against Monaghan may well have been bolts from the blue, but there was never any time in that game when it looked like Monaghan might win.

Derry have learnt to bruise their way through tough games as they showed in their comebacks from big deficits against Kerry and Donegal.

In fact, our victory over Donegal was the first big championship match that Derry have won in ten years (I discount the victory over a Tyrone team in 2006 that was in total disarray). It has been our remarkable togetherness and focus shown by the Derry team this year - Derry's attack is criticized for being one-dimensional and there is no doubt that we lack cohesion in the forward line.

Yet, we could and should scored 70 from play against Donegal, and the second-half scoring spree against Kerry clearly underlines the point that the front six are very capable of amassing a big scoreline, if they click.

Fergal Doherty's loss is a massive blow to Derry, his speed and power has been instrumental in Derry's season to date. He tackles so well and quietly links the play between defence and attack. Yet often people say he has had a quiet game. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating and in the one weekend that Fergal did not play, Galway destroyed us. He is also the hardest hitter I have ever seen on a Gaelic football field, he remind's me of Ali's famous line on Joe Frazier after their legendary fight in Madison Square Gardens. Asked in the press conference afterwards about the Frazier punch that knocked him to the canvas, Ali said, "He hit me so hard my relatives in Africa felt it." Barry Dunnion's relatives must flinch at the thought of Fergal's collosal shoulder charge in Clones two years ago.

To win this game, Derry would be extremely patient, must work the ball around Fermanagh's screen, and must grind to the bitter end. If they do not win, we were never good enough in the first place. If we do win, we will be Ulster champions. Each man must steel himself.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ExiledGael

And poor Martin on his hospital bed, he'll not like that. I expect a real Derry bashing in the Star this week in his columns, if he's fit to write that is.