does mc hugh have a clue

Started by superblues, June 15, 2008, 04:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Hunting

Not only does McHugh have an obvious hatred for Derry, but does anyone else find that he seems to love Tyrone (and Shann Cavanagh in particular)?

Also, was anyone else getting annoyed with Sidebottom constantly referring to Steven McDonnell as "Stevie Mac"?

the green man

Quote from: wherefromreferee? on June 17, 2008, 01:56:27 PM
I see in this weeks Derry Post, Fergal P refers to Burns and McHugh as 'a presidential hopeful who couldn't actually kict the ball when he played midfield for Armagh and an all knowing mascot who still has a chip on his shoulder about Derry'

Meaow, saucer of milk for McCusker!

If you read the start, he says that pundits can no longer comment on the game without being controversial in someway. I presume FP is winding a bit here.

Quote from: Will Hunting on June 17, 2008, 02:07:38 PM
Not only does McHugh have an obvious hatred for Derry, but does anyone else find that he seems to love Tyrone (and Shann Cavanagh in particular)?

Also, was anyone else getting annoyed with Sidebottom constantly referring to Steven McDonnell as "Stevie Mac"?

Sidebottom seems to get a word or phrase stuck in his head and uses it throughout the match. I actually like him and Madden. They can be quite humourous a times.

RadioGAAGAA

Martin McHugh has forgotten more about Gaelic football than half this board put together ever knew (and I include myself in that half).

i usse an speelchekor

Uladh

He has forgotten more about football in the 80s and 90s.

The game has left him behind

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Jezuz lads, from the bile spouted on here by certain "wans", McHughs not the one with the chip on his shoulder!
Tbc....

billy the kid

Quote from: armawman on June 16, 2008, 04:07:03 PM
Martin McHugh's comments about Armagh yesterday were spot on. I've been watching this Armagh team since 1999 ::) ::) and he made very valid comments.

Armagh continually put difficult ball into Clarke and McDonnell who then have to fight for it and try and score from difficult situations. Plus they have to put so much effort into winning the ball and fighting off three or four men, it saps their energy. McHugh was making the excellent point that they should be trying to give Clarke and McDonnell easier ball to make it easier for them. This has been obvious for many years. If Armagh ran more at teams and opened up defences and laid off handy passes to McDonnell and Clarke in space, they would get more handy scores and handy frees. instead they play balls out to the corner flag to McDonnell, who then has to try to work a score.  

McHugh was simply saying Armagh should play the running game more and give handy passes to McDonnell and Clarke. He also correctly pointed out that by dropping Martin O'Rourke back, it allowed Cavan to play an extra man as a sweeper at the back to double team McDonnell.

If armagh played the running game more, as McHugh correctly suggested, they would draw defenders out to meet the runner and the ball could then be hand passed to Clarke or McDonnell in space. Also Paddy McKeever and Martin O'Rourke could get forward and get more scores and frees.

McHugh's points about Armagh yesterday were 100% correct and, if they were taken on board, Armagh would be hard to stop.  Martin McHugh is a great analyst.    

Since 1999???        ??? ???

Are you aware Armagh had a football team long before 1999 you bandwagoner.
Suppose your one of these Armagh Folk who think the history of the GAA started that year and bang on about how they are the best team ever. Sorry I just cant take people like you seriously.

(by the way Im not talking about true Armagh Supporters who were supporting the team in the dark days before 1999)
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Hardy

I think McHugh is one of the best GAA pundits on TV. Better than all but one or two of RTÉ's anyway. Plus you get more value for money from McHugh - I'd say his words per minute rate is the highest on TV. Jarlath is very slow.

[Edit] - I'm talking about football only. Michael Duignan is by  head and shoulders the best GAA pundit on TV. I'd put him close to the Ted Walsh class.

billy the kid

Quote from: unforgiven on June 16, 2008, 11:20:13 PM
Who would you like to see replacing Burns and McHugh as analysts?  

Most high profile footballers/ex-footballers that make guest appearances either have an inability to construct a sentence or speak another language(oisin mcconville).

Only analyst I have any time for is Anthony Tohill.  Seems to be able to see what is really happening in a game and is not afraid to contradict other analysts.

Mc Conville is very hard to understand and the fact that theres more brains in a false face doesnt help.  Joe Kernan is another who is nearly impossible to understand but his analysis is very good with top class insights.  Thought kevin madden was very good at the weekend and liked your man Mchale from down who done it years ago.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

the green man

Quote from: billy the kid on June 17, 2008, 03:27:13 PM

Since 1999???        ??? ???

Are you aware Armagh had a football team long before 1999 you bandwagoner.
Suppose your one of these Armagh Folk who think the history of the GAA started that year and bang on about how they are the best team ever. Sorry I just cant take people like you seriously.

(by the way Im not talking about true Armagh Supporters who were supporting the team in the dark days before 1999)

Maybe he wasn't old enough to watch Armagh before that. Chill!

peterquaife

Quote from: Will Hunting on June 17, 2008, 02:07:38 PM

nearly spat out my hang sangwich readin that

If anyone can Shann can

PQ

Gold

i like McHugh but he annoys me 2 at the same time

i was laughin when he kept sayin Shann the other day

No man says "its interestin" more than McHugh --listen this Saturday

Austin looks nervous still i preferred Jeromes relaxed, easy style and he bantered well with the 2 boys in the studio, Austie could do the commentatin, Sidebottom should stick to the sideline and Kane should go to Spain
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Yes I Would

Quote from: Hardy on June 17, 2008, 03:29:10 PM
I think McHugh is one of the best GAA pundits on TV. Better than all but one or two of RTÉ's anyway. Plus you get more value for money from McHugh - I'd say his words per minute rate is the highest on TV. Jarlath is very slow.

Surely it should be quality rather than quantity we should be lookin for!!

J70

Quote from: Gold on June 17, 2008, 10:27:04 PM
i like McHugh but he annoys me 2 at the same time

i was laughin when he kept sayin Shann the other day

That's the way "Sean" is pronounced in much of Donegal in my experience.

screenexile

Yeah well that ain't how it is pronounced! Donegal is also responsible for the Divver thing too. Fair enough if that's how Damien wanted his name pronounced but ever since I can remember Joe's name is Diver (as in the deep sea). Just laziness on commentators part for both BBC and RTE!

J70

Quote from: screenexile on June 18, 2008, 01:16:28 AM
Yeah well that ain't how it is pronounced! Donegal is also responsible for the Divver thing too. Fair enough if that's how Damien wanted his name pronounced but ever since I can remember Joe's name is Diver (as in the deep sea). Just laziness on commentators The for both BBC and RTE!

Wasn't just Damien I'm afraid. Diver is a common enough name in Donegal and everyone pronounces it "divver"!

I presume the Donegal pronunciation of "Sean" comes from Donegal Irish, where a-fada is pronounced as "ah", not "aw" as in other forms of the language.

I would have thought that most Ulster people would learn Donegal Irish and thus pronounce words like "Sean" correctly! ;)