7/1 Michael Martin

7/1 Dermot Ahern

18/1 Mary Hanafin

33/1 Noel Dempsey

40/1 Eamonn O' Cuiv

50/1 Willie O'Dea

66/1 Mary Coughlan

66/1 Martin Cullen

Cowen is the only serious contender in that lot. The rest, Ahern excepted, are lightweights.

AZOffaly

Ah come off it. Do you seriously think that Bertie just decided on his own to go? Very little happens at top level in Fianna Fáil now that Cowen is not involved somewhere. Cowen, and others,  has managed to get Bertie to resign, without alienating some members by being seen to launder dirty washing in public, or stabbing his leader in the back.

Park your dislike of Fianna Fáil for the moment, and look at the strategies at play here, there is no way that Bertie would have left on his own accord. I'd say the break featured some very interesting meetings and phonecalls. Lenihan would be my bet to be the next leader after Cowen, because I think he will back Cowen.

stephenite

Ian Og Paisley on RTE now lamenting the loss of Bertie Ahern, a man that the DUP had an honourbale relationship with

Shamrock Shore

There is nothing worse for a Fianna Fáil leader when he hears of an impending heave. I do believe there was one about to brew.

AZ's ticket is the fancied one. There won't even be a real contest - there will be a showcase one in which Mickey Martin will 2 votes, Dermot Ahern a few more and Mary Hannin will be lucky to secure her own vote.

It's Cowen and Lenihan for sure.

Zapatista

Ian og just on rte. Another voice of ethics in Irish politics singing the praises of Ahern ;D

Ahern was an observer during the pease process. By their own choice the the ROI ignored the 6county's during the troubles. They distanced themselves so much from the problems that when it came to a solution they had nothing to offer. It was a case of - OK where do we fit in? What do we need to do? The answer was simple. Just pretend you are involved and if we need you we will let you know.

rosnarun

another victory for the red tops.
where one alleged  little flaw can out do the amazing job Bertie has done for the country over the last ten  years. he changed ireland to be one of the strongest economic powers for it size in the world. from being a country riddled with unemployment he  made he  a magnet for workers from all over the world.  but tabloids need headlines for tabloid people and another noble head roles found guilty of nothing just a suspicion of recieving gifts from his mates in hard times. when he wasnt even taoiseach.
This noth to metion the peace process and all that has done for ireland. when bruton gret a chance there were bombs going off in 6 months. but he was a rich man and was rewarded wiith a cushy UN Job the great peace maker.
Farewell Bertie our great Taoiseach since lemass and f**k the begrudgers
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Zapatista

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2008, 12:05:46 PM
Ah come off it. Do you seriously think that Bertie just decided on his own to go? Very little happens at top level in Fianna Fáil now that Cowen is not involved somewhere. Cowen, and others,  has managed to get Bertie to resign, without alienating some members by being seen to launder dirty washing in public, or stabbing his leader in the back.

Park your dislike of Fianna Fáil for the moment, and look at the strategies at play here, there is no way that Bertie would have left on his own accord. I'd say the break featured some very interesting meetings and phonecalls. Lenihan would be my bet to be the next leader after Cowen, because I think he will back Cowen.

Not sure if I can AZ. It's been part of my life for a long time. I will try tho. For now just know I have a great dislike for them and allow for it when reading my posts ;)

Zapatista

Fcuksake >:(

There goes my theory. Lenihan just ruled himself out.

stephenite

Quote from: rosnarun on April 02, 2008, 12:23:15 PM
where one alleged  little flaw can out do the amazing job Bertie has done for the country over the last ten  years. he changed ireland to be one of the strongest economic powers for it size in the world. from being a country riddled with unemployment he  made he  a magnet for workers from all over the world.  but tabloids need headlines for tabloid people and another noble head roles found guilty of nothing just a suspicion of recieving gifts from his mates in hard times. when he wasnt even taoiseach.
This noth to metion the peace process and all that has done for ireland. when bruton gret a chance there were bombs going off in 6 months. but he was a rich man and was rewarded wiith a cushy UN Job the great peace maker.

It was all the tabloids fault? f**k me that's some theory

A thief who lied to a tribunal, and or the Dail, a blight on our political landscape who was no better than CJH. A man who was receiving large sums of sterling cash on a regualr basis. Good riddance to the snivelling, stuttering short arsed little shyster

Zapatista

Kenny is calling for an election :o

He won't get one, will he?

Tubberman

where one alleged  little flaw can out do the amazing job Bertie has done for the country over the last ten  years. he changed ireland to be one of the strongest economic powers for it size in the world. from being a country riddled with unemployment he  made he  a magnet for workers from all over the world.  but tabloids need headlines for tabloid people and another noble head roles found guilty of nothing just a suspicion of recieving gifts from his mates in hard times. when he wasnt even taoiseach.

It was all the tabloids fault? f**k me that's some theory

A thief who lied to a tribunal, and or the Dail, a blight on our political landscape who was no better than CJH. A man who was receiving large sums of sterling cash on a regualr basis. Good riddance to the snivelling, stuttering short arsed little shyster

Come on Stephenite, it's Rosnarun you're talking to. This is the lad who has been completely anti John O'Mahony since he was appointed Mayo manager for entirely political motives. He can't see reason.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Donagh

Quote from: Zapatista on April 02, 2008, 12:39:11 PM

No. Harney and Gormley will have got enough now to keep them quite for a while.

belleaqua

Quote from: Zapatista on April 02, 2008, 12:39:11 PM
Kenny is calling for an election :o

No thankfully, and the people still wouldnt elect Kenny...theres still some element of sense and reality out there although in many ways we deserve the buffoon...

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Does Cowen have any Republican leanings?
Do any of the other possible candidates have any Republican leanings??
Tbc....

belleaqua

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 02, 2008, 12:44:51 PM
Does Cowen have any Republican leanings?
Do any of the other possible candidates have any Republican leanings??

Dermot Ahern..