Bertie to Resign

Started by Barney, April 02, 2008, 10:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: screenexile on April 02, 2008, 10:43:51 AM
Yeah I think he's announcing the date he intends to step down which should probably be sooner rather than later.

Personally I think it's a shame I thought he did a good job as Taoiseach but it seems that to be a good leader you also have to have your flaws as well a lá Haughey and Clinton.

The Grainne Carruth incident was the straw that broke the camel's back and his credibility was shot after that and when that goes you cannot lead a Country anymore!

You are right unfortunatly it will be seen as the Carruth incident. He did this all to himself when he lied and perjured himself. It should be remembered as 'the Ahern perjury incident' and not the 'Carruth incident'.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stephenite on April 02, 2008, 11:09:22 AM
I'm not convinced the Cowen will be automatically elected by the parliamentary party

I think Cowen is very much 'the' man among the backbenchers, and has a solid support base among the senior ministers as well. He'll certainly be a different character to Bertie if he gets in, he wouldn't be as media friendly at all, and the genial, but gruff, culchie image could get old very quickly.

I don't think Hanafin will get it (I presume that's Gaoth Dobhair meant) because she's had a bad time recently with the Education portfolio, and with local elections on the horizon, the grassroots won't want the backlash from her. Michéal Martin is not as strong as Cowen either, internally although he would have his supporters alright. Brian Lenihan would be another dark horse.

Zapatista

Put your money on Lenihan the big cuddly bear ;D

Donagh

There's only one man for the job:

the Deel Rover

:D the moustaccio would have to go donagh
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AZOffaly

The man, the moustache, the mission.

The only problem is that if Willie is Taoiseach, the other countries will think Ireland is actually called Freedonia.

stephenite

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2008, 11:29:43 AM
Quote from: stephenite on April 02, 2008, 11:09:22 AM
I'm not convinced the Cowen will be automatically elected by the parliamentary party

I think Cowen is very much 'the' man among the backbenchers, and has a solid support base among the senior ministers as well. He'll certainly be a different character to Bertie if he gets in, he wouldn't be as media friendly at all, and the genial, but gruff, culchie image could get old very quickly.

I don't think Hanafin will get it (I presume that's Gaoth Dobhair meant) because she's had a bad time recently with the Education portfolio, and with local elections on the horizon, the grassroots won't want the backlash from her. Michéal Martin is not as strong as Cowen either, internally although he would have his supporters alright. Brian Lenihan would be another dark horse.

Lenihan is the other dark horse - but Cowen probably will get it, I think I'd rather Dermort Ahern but don't think he'd have the support

Zapatista

Will Ahern not have to face questions in the Dail today after this? I would still be very interested to hear his explaination.

mouview

One of the least articulate, least educated major politicians in this nation for many years. No great loss, the government has squandered the boom of the past 10-15 years, particularly in the area of infrastructure.

I will salute him for his efforts in the Good Friday agreement, that if nothing else should be his legacy.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

T'was Hanafin I meant.
Lenihan? Don't know.
Tbc....

stephenite

1/5 Brian Cowen

6/1 Brian Lenihan

7/1 Michael Martin

7/1 Dermot Ahern

18/1 Mary Hanafin

33/1 Noel Dempsey

40/1 Eamonn O' Cuiv

50/1 Willie O'Dea

66/1 Mary Coughlan

66/1 Martin Cullen

AZOffaly

He'll face them probably, but what's the point? I think at this stage everybody, certainly Cowen, Kenny and Gilmore, not to mention Harney and John Gormley, have got what they wanted. Most of the questions would be put to him with a view of forcing a resignation, or putting pressure on him. I'd say it'll be soft soap time, with maybe a bit of pressure on Cowen for not pushing quicker.

Zapatista

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2008, 11:47:04 AM
He'll face them probably, but what's the point? I think at this stage everybody, certainly Cowen, Kenny and Gilmore, not to mention Harney and John Gormley, have got what they wanted. Most of the questions would be put to him with a view of forcing a resignation, or putting pressure on him. I'd say it'll be soft soap time, with maybe a bit of pressure on Cowen for not pushing quicker.

According to Ahern and FF, Cowen did nothing. It was a decision made by Ahern alone. If this is true then Cowen and FF are cowards and guilty of neglect and low standards in office, rendering none of them fit for leadership.  I still believe Lenihan will take the leadership as he is less contaminated by this than the rest. I have no time for the man as I have seen him at work in this constituency but I think he is the most acceptable and capable man for the job. Best of a bad bunch I suppose.

Donagh

Quote from: mouview on April 02, 2008, 11:41:38 AM
the Good Friday agreement, that if nothing else should be his legacy.

The GFA, Berties legacy? Aye right  :D  Does go to show though how much he was able to claim credit for the work of others when it suited him.

The Biff

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2008, 11:07:53 AM
Step 1 of the Biffo bid for global domination has commenced. Now if we get aul' Barack O'Bama into the Teach Bán we'll be sorted.

Hope I dont get banned for this but ..... would that make Barack O'Bama a BBIFFO?   :o

IT'S A JOKE 4-FEX-ACHE
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.