Bertie to Resign

Started by Barney, April 02, 2008, 10:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

But the tribunal will continue Lar Naparka, and Bertie has to appear before it at least once more. This resignation has no bearing on any 'guilt' or 'innocence' that might come out of the tribunal. the reason FF wanted him to go now was because they were tainted by association, and his postion was untenable. The tribunal will be on the go for ages to come, and it's verdict probably won't be for at least a year, I'd guess. If that's the case, they couldn't continue fielding questions about the party leader long term, the party would have been decimated in the local elections.

In my opinion Bertie was pulling strokes left right and centre, and was undoubtedly, in my opinion, receiving money 'under the table' from various people. Having said that, I think the pursuit of him in the papers especially descended into tabloidism at it's worst a lot of the time, but one must expect that when practically every Irish Daily and Weekend mass-circulation paper is made up of tabloid style journalists. I despair of the print media in this country.

I have a funny feeling that the tribunal, when it gets around to it, will judge that Bertie has received money from persons unknown, and for reasons unknown, but that no 'quid pro quo' favours were reciprocated, and he is innocent of 'corruption' in the sense of taking money to do political favours. I just feel it in my waters. If that is the case, it could be politically huge for Fine Gael and Labour, who will then be seen as the agent provocateurs who hounded Bertie out of office in tandem with Frank O'Callaghan (??) et al.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 02, 2008, 02:25:59 PM
Bertie's case stops a long way short of the B'ham Six

The one sensible thing you wrote!!

I don't know how you feel that it is the tabloid press that are the cause of Bertie's departure. To my mind the only decent national paper that we have was to the fore front of the campaign to expose Bertie (as any decent journalist should have been).

There is no witch hunt here, he got out while the going was still reasonably good. I doubt if even the staunchest FF/Bertie fan feels that there is not more to come in terms of revelations. He has already perjured himself and we all know it was a matter of when not if, so what is the big deal?

Bertie is a true FF man and he did what was right for the party, which of course as all FF people strongly believe.. is for the good of the nation.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

the Deel Rover

any truth in the rumour that bertie is going to become the dubs new statistician ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ziggysego

I would have thought Bertie would be looking for a top job in Europe.
Testing Accessibility

GY Joe

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ziggysego on April 02, 2008, 03:04:03 PM
I would have thought Bertie would be looking for a top job in Europe.
paddy the plasterer might be looking for a labourer  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

IolarCoisCuain

Have I been asleep for the past fifteen years? What has Dermot Ahern done to make himself leadership material?

Biffo, Brian Lenihan, Mary Coughlan. No-one else, thanks.

ziggysego

Actually I thought of Dermot Ahern as one of the strong contenders for the Leadership challenge too.
Testing Accessibility

Louth Exile

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 02, 2008, 03:37:34 PM
Have I been asleep for the past fifteen years? What has Dermot Ahern done to make himself leadership material?

Biffo, Brian Lenihan, Mary Coughlan. No-one else, thanks.

How you can consider Mary Coughlan as being possibly suitable to be leader of this country but rule out Dermot Ahern!!
I'm sorry, but to me, that beggars belief  :o
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Zapatista

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 02, 2008, 02:25:59 PM
Just a few scattered thoughts here; maybe they will strike a chord with others, I don't really know.
I don't like to see anyone being ousted in the way Bertie was- trial by public opinion is just a stop short of lynch law.
Personally, I could not see Bertie surviving the revelations coming from the Mahon Tribunal but I'd like to have seen the matter being decided there and not in the tabloid press.
The man says he's totally innocent and I find that hard to believe; the Birmingham Six said they were innocent also but Maggie Thatcher would have hanged the lot of them. Thank God she didn't have her way.
To be exonerated sixteen years later was small consolation for those involved but at least they were still around to get their freedom.

Public opinion in England at the time would have been behind Thatcher if the legal system didn't thwart her. There is no reprieve from a hanging.
Bertie's case stops a long way short of the B'ham Six but there is a central issue there as well. Many sincere and decent people will not agree with Bertie's alleged guilt and there is only alleged guilt there at present.
The spin off to his departure will continue on and on. This was no way to see him go.

Lar I am very disappointed you used that comparison. The Birmingham 6 where not guilty of anything.

Ahern is guilty of lying to the Dail, and the people. He is also guilty of perjury. All this while holding the office of Taoiseach. This is not his office but the peoples office and he is guilty of demeaning the peoples office. This alone is enough reason for him to stand down. He has paid a small price for what he is guilty of.

The main difference between Ahern and the Birmingham 6 is that Ahern is guilty enough to pay the price he has paid where as the Birmingham 6 where in fact innocent.

Farrandeelin

I know I'm in the minority on here but I will miss Bertie when he goes. The money isn't the largest amount in the world either is it? There was nobody asked for any planning favours. I supposethe opposition won't know what to do with themselves now he's gone. And as for Kenny asking for another election, well it's typical but not too well thought out... ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Old Bill

Quote from: orangeman on April 02, 2008, 01:32:57 PM
Quote from: Old Bill on April 02, 2008, 01:14:05 PM
good riddance to bertie.  his legacy will be dirty hospitals with closed down wards and patients dying on trolleys..

Jesus - that's more than harsh !!!!!

health service wise its not harsh its the truth.  Altho i always did like his way with the people and many a nite while watchin prime time.  his real legacy will be the new north which albert reynolds had a significant input into also.  One questions needs to be asked is the country in a better position now than before bertie?  the jurys out for me!

mannix

country going downhill fast,who can slow the slide??

baoithe

Quote from: Zapatista on April 02, 2008, 12:28:52 PM
Fcuksake >:(

There goes my theory. Lenihan just ruled himself out.

Not for the first time I'd wager.