They wouldn't let GAA into schools now would they?

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, August 20, 2007, 09:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 21, 2007, 11:16:41 AM
Lads why are ye still argueing?
Sammy knows there is nothing to stop unionist kids playing GAA in schools as they dont need to join the GAA or sign up to anything.

How can I know that when the GAA rules say differently? You might want it to be true but until somebody can show me how it works then I don't understand it.
Quote from: his holiness nb on August 21, 2007, 11:16:41 AM
Sammy, its a word that is thrown about too much here, but I cant see any reason for your shite on this thread other than pure and utter bigotry.
So because you refuse to answer a straightforward question, that means I'm a bigot.  ::)

his holiness nb

Indulge me and post the bit of the rules regarding schools please.
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: snatter on August 21, 2007, 11:01:00 AM
Quote from: SammyG on August 21, 2007, 10:43:53 AM
Quote from: snatter on August 21, 2007, 10:36:21 AM
OK, I'll rephrase:

Seriously?
If you're a 10 year old kid playing for your school in a soccer competition, you have to sign up and join the schools FA ?
Doesn't seem right to me.

And I'll now add - what exactly is the "schools FA" you refer to?
Why do they need 10 year old kids to sign up to it?

For the third time, I never mentioned ten year olds. I was talking about the schools signing up not the individual kids. As far as which FA it would depend on the competition, might be the local one (e.g. Fermanagh and Western) or it might be the NI Schools FA.

OK, so when you say that the school must sign up to the NI Schools FA, what exactly dos this entail?

Does it confer IFA membership rights on the school/teacher/pupil?
Or is the school simply paying an appplication fee to take part in a soccer competition?
Not sure why you keep mentioning the IFA but any way.

In order to take part in a competition the school would need to be a member of the organisation running the competition (as discussed previously this would vary depending on which association was responsible) and you would sign-up to abide by the rules of that association and the rules of the relevant competition. Which as far as I can see is virtually identical to the GAAs rules.

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 21, 2007, 11:22:28 AM
Already posted on page 3 of this thread but here you go again

QuoteBefore a club may take part in any
competition, an affiliation fee of €20 shall be
paid for the year to the County Committee.
Entry fee for Championships shall be €20 for
each adult team and €8 for each under-age
team, except where County Bye-Laws provide
for a higher amount.

and

QuoteIn Under 15 and younger grades, official
lists of players shall be signed by the
Secretary or, if absent, the Assistant
Secretary, or the official in charge of the
team, whose name must be officially
notified in advance to the Committee in
charge of the competition.

If you read the other rules you have to be a member to be Secretary.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: SammyG on August 21, 2007, 11:25:57 AM
Not sure why you keep mentioning the IFA but any way.

In order to take part in a competition the school would need to be a member of the organisation running the competition (as discussed previously this would vary depending on which association was responsible) and you would sign-up to abide by the rules of that association and the rules of the relevant competition. Which as far as I can see is virtually identical to the GAAs rules.
problem solved
thats not the case sammy
for Gaelic games - schools dont have to sign up for anything like soccer obv makes them to
thats where you are getting confused
there is no pledge of allegience etc in GAA as there obv is in soccer in ni.

his holiness nb

Quote from: SammyG on August 21, 2007, 11:28:20 AM
Quote from: his holiness nb on August 21, 2007, 11:22:28 AM
Already posted on page 3 of this thread but here you go again

QuoteBefore a club may take part in any
competition, an affiliation fee of €20 shall be
paid for the year to the County Committee.
Entry fee for Championships shall be €20 for
each adult team and €8 for each under-age
team, except where County Bye-Laws provide
for a higher amount.

and

QuoteIn Under 15 and younger grades, official
lists of players shall be signed by the
Secretary or, if absent, the Assistant
Secretary, or the official in charge of the
team, whose name must be officially
notified in advance to the Committee in
charge of the competition.

If you read the other rules you have to be a member to be Secretary.

Sammy, this refers to clubs. A school is not a club.
How much cleared can we be on this  ::)
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 21, 2007, 11:32:08 AM
So what is it then? What rules cover schools?

To give you a scenario, I'm a teacher in a GAA school and want to play a match, do I just phone another school and ask them for a game or how is it organised?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: SammyG on August 21, 2007, 03:49:28 PM

To give you a scenario, I'm a teacher in a GAA school and want to play a match, do I just phone another school and ask them for a game or how is it organised?
yep you organise it, even ask a local GAA club to supply a ref if you like-
thats it. thats all there is to it. presumably you will have adequate contingency plans for injuries etc

its not as cloak and dagger as you types make out....

SammyG

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 21, 2007, 04:02:13 PM

thats it. thats all there is to it. presumably you will have adequate contingency plans for injuries etc

I'm not making anything out to be cloak and dagger. I'm just trying to understand how it works.

Right so I phone the school down the road and ask them for a game, they say yes, we play and we win. What happens then, where does that result go, who decides who we play next, is there a league or cup or whatever?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: SammyG on August 21, 2007, 04:06:11 PM

I'm not making anything out to be cloak and dagger. I'm just trying to understand how it works.

Right so I phone the school down the road and ask them for a game, they say yes, we play and we win. What happens then, where does that result go, who decides who we play next, is there a league or cup or whatever?
ok you have gone now from a one off schools game to entering in a league/cup  etc

its the same, but you just put your schools name in and you agree to the fixtures , ref's etc.
You will prob be asked at some stage if you want a GAA coach to come out to your school to help teach / coach the kids.
The GAA coach will possibly be alerted to your schools participation if somehow the league is registered back to Croke park HQ.
The reasons for this is to then assign the local coach to teach new kids in football/hurling.

Even at this point you have to sign nothing.
In all my days as a kid playin, I never signed anything or my parents either.
Its only the modern day game that has clubs asking even kids for memberships that people have to sign stuff, its more to do with insurance than anything else.

Honestly, you know more about the GAA rules and constitution than I do.
I dont give a fiddlers about it, I was only ever interested in playing the games.
you are getting your knickers in a twist over barriers of your own making.

stew

Quote from: SammyG on August 21, 2007, 04:06:11 PM

:D :D :D :D

You havent a clue do you sammy.

How can you be taken seriously when you obviously have not one idea how the GAA works, that last effort is the most naive post on this site..........ever.

Stick to following Fearons every move because you have no business commentating on the GAA the way you do with the knowledge you don't posess.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

[/quote]

aint that the truth.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

SammyG

Quote from: stew on August 21, 2007, 04:14:48 PMYou havent a clue do you sammy.

How can you be taken seriously when you obviously have not one idea how the GAA works, that last effort is the most naive post on this site..........ever.
The post was in response to Lynchbhoy who said that was how it works. I'm trying to find out how it works and nobody will answer me.

SammyG

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 21, 2007, 04:29:07 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 21, 2007, 04:12:27 PM

I think Lynchboy has hit the nail on the head Sammy. You seem to have a problem with the GAA no matter what. When the people who play the games dont encounter any of these problems.
Strange that the people who play the games don't seem to know (or won't tell anybody) what the rules are.
Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 21, 2007, 04:29:07 PM
Anyway Im off to join the Orange Order, they would have no problem accepting me now would they Sammy  ;)
I've no idea, I know they wouldn't let me in as I'm anti-royal and an atheist and like a drink. Interesting that you compare the GAA to the OO. ::)

GalwayBayBoy

I'm not even sure why I'm entering this debate but anyway I can confirm that you don't have to be a member of the GAA to play GAA in school. I played for years for 2 different schools and nobody signs you up for anything. You turn up for training and if you're good enough you're selected to play for the school and then you play in various competitions. Simple as that.

I only became a member as to play for a club you need to be signed up for insurance purposes in case of serious injury.

Indeed in all my years playing I have never even seen a copy of the official GAA guide and certainly haven't read it. I wouldn't even know what's in it only for OWC lads posting up tracts of it on here. ;D