Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Your probably right 118cmal & will be a shame to see Scholes miss out on another CL final but i suppose that's the strength in depth of squad  :-\
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

pintsofguinness

Quote from: new devil on May 08, 2011, 07:46:15 PM
Any team that wins the premier league and gets to the final of the champions league is far from ordinary surely?
I think the team might be far from ordinary but some of the players are, their attitude, work rate etc counts for a lot.  Unfortunately I don't think it will be enough when it comes to Barcelona...
It speaks volumes about United as a team and as a club (or Ferguson as a manager) when the likes of Chelsea or Man City can spend as many millions as they want but still can't out do them. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

J70

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 08, 2011, 07:08:56 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 08, 2011, 07:01:53 PM
Ferguson is a genius winning a league with that team. No disrespect to them - but United this season were very ordinary. The rest just couldn't or wouldn't take advantage each time United slipped up.

I'm not United fan however one look at their home record makes them more than just ordinary surely.

Its all relative, isn't it? If this United side are "ordinary" (and they very well may be, at least when you're comparing them with other United teams and other champions/finalists of England and Europe over the years), where the hell does that leave the rest? I'd definitely say they're (relatively) weak in the center of midfield, but when you get performances like you did from Valencia, Park and Rooney today, it doesn't matter too much. The pressure was on both sides today and only one showed up and looked like they could handle it, "poor" midfield or not, as they've done most of the season.

new devil

Great post J70.. They are diffently weak in midfield and I hope we buy at least one big name midfielder in the summer

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

oakleafgael

Fair play to United and Ferguson in particular. He will be very hard to replace when he finally calls it a day.

United are"ordinary" in comparison to some of Ferguson's other United teams, its a fair comparison imo. That said their back 5 is equal of any that has played under Ferguson. The midfield is average but their workload covers the flaws.

Minder

Will this be a record low number of away wins for a title winning team?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ross4life

Quote from: Minder on May 08, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

I understand one of Liverpool's title wins had only 5 away wins.

118cmal

Quote from: ross4life on May 08, 2011, 08:55:09 PM

:D

EC Unique

Owned! :D

Minder

It was actually a genuine question but sure I will let youse perform cyber fellatio of each other.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Trout

You must all be proud Brits today after watching your boys

Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Milltown Row2

You must only follow Donegal Celtic or Cliftonville then?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

A pity those who reckoned Howard Webb would win it for United couldn't admit that he actually kept Chelsea in it. Anyway, it didn't change the result today for once. Thought Park was outrageous today especially in the first half and what more needs to be said about the legend that is Ryan Giggs? Sensational player.

Overall though I think the key has been the faster than anticipated development of Hernandez. It has meant United can play a hugher tempo than with Berbatov and it suits the team. Valencia is a beast and its no wonder the team as kicked on since he came back. I expect the job to be completed against Blackburn.

Orangemac

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 08, 2011, 11:36:15 PM
Overall though I think the key has been the faster than anticipated development of Hernandez. It has meant United can play a hugher tempo than with Berbatov and it suits the team. Valencia is a beast and its no wonder the team as kicked on since he came back. I expect the job to be completed against Blackburn.
Agree with all of this. Valencia has made a big difference since coming back for Utd. Decision making can be poor but is very direct and a great turn of speed.Nailed on for CL final start.

Hernandez will be interseting to watch next season, think he has surprised even Ferguson the way he has went straight into the team this year.Either he is this good or he is just on an amazing run (read somewhere he went 2 years without scoring in his younger days).

For all the talk of Utds demise Fergie is really only looking at needing to bring in a goalkeeper and central midfielder for serious money in the summer. The 2 Da Silvas, Smalling, Hernanadez and Valencia have all their best years ahead of them and Giggs should be good for another year at least.