Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ping Pong Santa

Von...... Two....... Three...... Four......FIVE!

FIVE EUROPEAN CUPS!

The GAA

Yeah, berbatov was a poor signing, not because of his quality, but because he is not an out and out striker in the RVN mould. united already had rooney, tevez and CR who play in that manner. In an ideal world we could move berbatov on, let tevez go and sign villa and kaka. not going to happen. what will probably happen is tevez will move on and united will sign another winger/forward

full back

It looks as though Fergie, finally, may be cottoning on to Berbatov

Second choice sub, 1-0 down and chasing the game, when you are a £30 million striker would indicate a complete waste of money

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 28, 2009, 11:49:08 AM
Sligonian - disappointment yes, of course but you should never despair!

I think i misintrepertated, apologies, although some defeats have brought me to despair in the past most would be in the disappointment bracket.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

deiseach

Quote from: Clown on May 28, 2009, 10:29:23 AM
Instead of answering the question you've reverted to snide remarks

very grown up

It was a stupid question, akin to 'when did you stop beating your wife?'

The Real Laoislad

Man United fan kills 4 Barcelona fans

Barcelona fans killed in Nigeria:
A Manchester United fan in Nigeria killed four people when he drove his minibus into a crowd of Barcelona supporters after his team lost the Champions League final, police said today.

The crowd in the town of Ogbo were celebrating Barcelona's victory after last night's match when the bus drove into them. A police spokeswoman said 10 people were injured and the driver was arrested.

"The driver had passed the crowd then made a U-turn and ran into them," she said.

Barcelona beat Manchester United 2-0 in what was hailed as a "dream final" between two of Europe's best clubs. Both teams have large fan bases in Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Clown

yeah maybe inter are top class - the jury wud be out on that one

an arsenal team with silvestre, djorou and gibbs on it surely isnt

what about this man anderson who allegedly "shits on fabregas"
2 seasons now at united and he has done what exactly of note?????

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Minder on May 28, 2009, 11:29:17 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 28, 2009, 11:13:44 AM
Firstly congrats to Barcelona. On the night United had no answer to their brilliant midfield artistry and inspired attacking play. As some have mentioned earlier they are a model club. ALWAYS play the game the right way. Do not deface their shirt with sponsors names. Most importantly they are owned by the supporters and not some parasitic businessmen so decisions about the club are related to the game and not motivated by profits or "growing the business". If United had to lose to anyone it makes it slightly more bearable that its them.

Secondly I want to compliment Hound (more later), Corn, Gabhurl, Doogie Browser and Bensars among others who support other clubs (sorry for leaving a few out) but opposed the numbskull school of gloating that went on. I've probably fought with and annoyed ye all over the years but thanks for showing your class. We're probably all guilty of taking it way too seriously (a throwback to childhood I think) but some measure and a bit of respect is no harm. I always think that kicking someone when they're down is a horrible sign of a person and I'm glad many agree with me. My cousin sent me a text last night, a quote attributed by him to the great Sir Matt Busby who would have turned 100 this week if he was still alive – "There should be no conceit in victory and no despair in defeat". Not always easy to adhere to but something to aspire to.
On the game obviously the first goal was poor and left United a mountain to climb. It settled a nervy Barca and once they started to do their stuff United were in bother. There were half chances that could have brought United back into it – the cross that bounced clear over Park's head (did it not seem a really odd bounce?) probably the best. However, Barca ran out comfortable and deserved winners in the end. A lot of things were wrong last night that contributed to United looking so ordinary.

United – what now? Hound has constantly and correctly pointed out how poor United midfield has been this season and they paid for it last night. Hargreaves will hopefully return and it is absolutely crucial he does. I think United need someone else in there now as Fletcher is the best of the rest. Carrick is adequate if he has a strong partner but not good enough to lead in this sector. Anderson disappointed big time last night and the jury is still out. Every time I think he's getting it together and about to establish himself he fails another test. Great servants that they have been but Giggs and Scholes are just not able for the highest level. I could go on for ages...Ronaldo must be kept as should Tevez. Get rid of Berbatov and get another striker. Get rid of Nani and try to get Ribery if possible or Valencia. United played with no wingers last night which is not the United way. Should have got Palacios in the January window – not too many good central mids around.

That said in general terms it wasn't a bad season but I never felt all season that United were playing well. Never looked as dangerous going forward as you'd expect. Ground out the wins rather than won in style. I had myself duped into thinking that they could do it again to Barca on the basis of the Arsenal games but that was a flawed logic. The two Liverpool games were a better indicator perhaps. United won the league this year because their deficiencies only get exploited by good teams. The lack of a serious challenge by Chelsea was also a help. To get the 4 in a row sizeable improvement is required.

Agree with the bit in bold above.............

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 22, 2009, 05:53:42 PM

I would really enjoy seeing the barcodes go down if only for the scenes of fat Geordies bawling their eyes out!

Well spotted Minder
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Ping Pong Santa

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 28, 2009, 12:38:19 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 28, 2009, 11:29:17 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 28, 2009, 11:13:44 AM
Firstly congrats to Barcelona. On the night United had no answer to their brilliant midfield artistry and inspired attacking play. As some have mentioned earlier they are a model club. ALWAYS play the game the right way. Do not deface their shirt with sponsors names. Most importantly they are owned by the supporters and not some parasitic businessmen so decisions about the club are related to the game and not motivated by profits or "growing the business". If United had to lose to anyone it makes it slightly more bearable that its them.

Secondly I want to compliment Hound (more later), Corn, Gabhurl, Doogie Browser and Bensars among others who support other clubs (sorry for leaving a few out) but opposed the numbskull school of gloating that went on. I've probably fought with and annoyed ye all over the years but thanks for showing your class. We're probably all guilty of taking it way too seriously (a throwback to childhood I think) but some measure and a bit of respect is no harm. I always think that kicking someone when they're down is a horrible sign of a person and I'm glad many agree with me. My cousin sent me a text last night, a quote attributed by him to the great Sir Matt Busby who would have turned 100 this week if he was still alive – "There should be no conceit in victory and no despair in defeat". Not always easy to adhere to but something to aspire to.
On the game obviously the first goal was poor and left United a mountain to climb. It settled a nervy Barca and once they started to do their stuff United were in bother. There were half chances that could have brought United back into it – the cross that bounced clear over Park's head (did it not seem a really odd bounce?) probably the best. However, Barca ran out comfortable and deserved winners in the end. A lot of things were wrong last night that contributed to United looking so ordinary.

United – what now? Hound has constantly and correctly pointed out how poor United midfield has been this season and they paid for it last night. Hargreaves will hopefully return and it is absolutely crucial he does. I think United need someone else in there now as Fletcher is the best of the rest. Carrick is adequate if he has a strong partner but not good enough to lead in this sector. Anderson disappointed big time last night and the jury is still out. Every time I think he's getting it together and about to establish himself he fails another test. Great servants that they have been but Giggs and Scholes are just not able for the highest level. I could go on for ages...Ronaldo must be kept as should Tevez. Get rid of Berbatov and get another striker. Get rid of Nani and try to get Ribery if possible or Valencia. United played with no wingers last night which is not the United way. Should have got Palacios in the January window – not too many good central mids around.

That said in general terms it wasn't a bad season but I never felt all season that United were playing well. Never looked as dangerous going forward as you'd expect. Ground out the wins rather than won in style. I had myself duped into thinking that they could do it again to Barca on the basis of the Arsenal games but that was a flawed logic. The two Liverpool games were a better indicator perhaps. United won the league this year because their deficiencies only get exploited by good teams. The lack of a serious challenge by Chelsea was also a help. To get the 4 in a row sizeable improvement is required.

Agree with the bit in bold above.............

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 22, 2009, 05:53:42 PM

I would really enjoy seeing the barcodes go down if only for the scenes of fat Geordies bawling their eyes out!

Well spotted Minder

Excellently played.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Clown on May 28, 2009, 09:43:29 AM
apart from the 3-0 win over a chelsea team that was in dissaray under scolari, did united beat a real top quality team all season??

Are you serious? UTD finished 2nd in the Champions League...

Top of the Premiership with 90 points...

FA Cup Semi Out on pens...

Carling cup winners...

World Club Champions...

supersub

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on May 28, 2009, 01:09:10 PM
Quote from: Clown on May 28, 2009, 09:43:29 AM
apart from the 3-0 win over a chelsea team that was in dissaray under scolari, did united beat a real top quality team all season??

Are you serious? UTD finished 2nd in the Champions League...

Top of the Premiership with 90 points...

FA Cup Semi Out on pens...

Carling cup winners...

World Club Champions...

Carling cup winners on pens...if your gonna do it like that haha

Joxer

On a completely different note,  What song was that Andrea Bocelli was singing before kick off last night?

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Joxer on May 28, 2009, 01:58:33 PM
On a completely different note,  What song was that Andrea Bocelli was singing before kick off last night?
'C'mon you reds' by Status Quo I think

magpie seanie

Think it was the "Official CL final song 2009". Was also used in Gladiator I think.