Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: EC Unique on May 28, 2009, 09:35:46 AM

3 premier league titles in a row is not so bad. Won it this year at a canter with the nearest team not even able to take it to the last day even with Utd playing average by their standards. :)

:D

Hurting today?

screenmachine

Quote from: full back on May 28, 2009, 09:25:40 AM
Quote from: screenmachine on May 28, 2009, 09:14:46 AM
Great result, great performance.  On a side note, Utd must have the most miserable fans ever.  Now this is only judging by the 'fans' from round home last night and last year.  Last year, when Utd won the Champions League they couldnt have been bate out of the bar and there was plenty of banter as there was a few of the lads had been supporting Chelsea.  Thats all well and good.  
Now skip forward to this year.  Generally, the same crowd as last year (the chelsea fans had mysteriously been converted to lifelong barca men in one short year ;) ) and most of the same Utd crowd.  The Utd men were spouting how they had Thurs booked off and the session was on.  1-0, mood dampened.  Still there was hope, session was still on.  2-0, bar emptied with 10 minutes left as the barca 'fans' twisted the kinfe.  Talk about a miserable shower of b**tards who can't take their oil!
Barca Abú...

What the fcuk do you want the fans to do?
Celebrate
FFS

There were a few genuine Chelsea fans stayed about last year after Utd won it and still went on the tear up.  Utd fans with the next day booked off work to go on the tear for the match have no business going home at 10 O'Clock win, lose or draw.  Not in Draperstown anyway... ;)
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: longball on May 28, 2009, 09:23:12 AM
Quote from: screenmachine on May 28, 2009, 09:14:46 AM
Rooney worked hard alright with the commentators still trying to pleasure themselves every time an englishman touched the ball.  Utd were second rate last night.  Ronaldo was lively enough for the first 10 but he's too much shoot on sight form ridiculous distance.  He's learned how to hit a ball as hard as he can, thats his main 'trick'.  Most of his frees/shots he is just lookin to hit the target and doesn't really seme to put any direction in his shots.  On last night's showing if someone offered me either Iniesta or Messi over Ronaldo, I would take the two catalans hands down.  Much better attitude, much better technically and much more team orientated.  Ronaldo's all me, me, me.  A jumped up Portugese t**t who was taken to the cleaners by a 'finished' Puyol.
Great result, great performance.  On a side note, Utd must have the most miserable fans ever.  Now this is only judging by the 'fans' from round home last night and last year.  Last year, when Utd won the Champions League they couldnt have been bate out of the bar and there was plenty of banter as there was a few of the lads had been supporting Chelsea.  Thats all well and good.  
Now skip forward to this year.  Generally, the same crowd as last year (the chelsea fans had mysteriously been converted to lifelong barca men in one short year ;) ) and most of the same Utd crowd.  The Utd men were spouting how they had Thurs booked off and the session was on.  1-0, mood dampened.  Still there was hope, session was still on.  2-0, bar emptied with 10 minutes left as the barca 'fans' twisted the kinfe.  Talk about a miserable shower of b**tards who can't take their oil!
Barca Abú...

What age is he? i think he is only 31

Yes, though we all think Puyol must be about 45, he turned 31 a few weeks ago.  Judging by last night he has at least a couple of seasons left in him.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

gorm agus bui

Quote from: Clown on May 28, 2009, 09:43:29 AM
apart from the 3-0 win over a chelsea team that was in dissaray under scolari, did united beat a real top quality team all season??
Never has poster been more aptly named

Clown

Instead of answering the question you've reverted to snide remarks

very grown up

theskull1

The real question is why do you all give a fcuk? Seriously!!
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

screenmachine

I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Hound

Quote from: Clown on May 28, 2009, 09:43:29 AM
apart from the 3-0 win over a chelsea team that was in dissaray under scolari, did united beat a real top quality team all season??
They beat Inter Milan 2-0, though any of the English big 4 would have beaten them. Inter and Real would be a close battle for 6th best team in Europe.

United also beat Arsenal twice in Europe, albeit Gallas and Clichy were big losses from the Arsenal team that had beaten United earlier in the season.

magpie seanie

Firstly congrats to Barcelona. On the night United had no answer to their brilliant midfield artistry and inspired attacking play. As some have mentioned earlier they are a model club. ALWAYS play the game the right way. Do not deface their shirt with sponsors names. Most importantly they are owned by the supporters and not some parasitic businessmen so decisions about the club are related to the game and not motivated by profits or "growing the business". If United had to lose to anyone it makes it slightly more bearable that its them.

Secondly I want to compliment Hound (more later), Corn, Gabhurl, Doogie Browser and Bensars among others who support other clubs (sorry for leaving a few out) but opposed the numbskull school of gloating that went on. I've probably fought with and annoyed ye all over the years but thanks for showing your class. We're probably all guilty of taking it way too seriously (a throwback to childhood I think) but some measure and a bit of respect is no harm. I always think that kicking someone when they're down is a horrible sign of a person and I'm glad many agree with me. My cousin sent me a text last night, a quote attributed by him to the great Sir Matt Busby who would have turned 100 this week if he was still alive – "There should be no conceit in victory and no despair in defeat". Not always easy to adhere to but something to aspire to.

On the game obviously the first goal was poor and left United a mountain to climb. It settled a nervy Barca and once they started to do their stuff United were in bother. There were half chances that could have brought United back into it – the cross that bounced clear over Park's head (did it not seem a really odd bounce?) probably the best. However, Barca ran out comfortable and deserved winners in the end. A lot of things were wrong last night that contributed to United looking so ordinary.

United – what now? Hound has constantly and correctly pointed out how poor United midfield has been this season and they paid for it last night. Hargreaves will hopefully return and it is absolutely crucial he does. I think United need someone else in there now as Fletcher is the best of the rest. Carrick is adequate if he has a strong partner but not good enough to lead in this sector. Anderson disappointed big time last night and the jury is still out. Every time I think he's getting it together and about to establish himself he fails another test. Great servants that they have been but Giggs and Scholes are just not able for the highest level. I could go on for ages...Ronaldo must be kept as should Tevez. Get rid of Berbatov and get another striker. Get rid of Nani and try to get Ribery if possible or Valencia. United played with no wingers last night which is not the United way. Should have got Palacios in the January window – not too many good central mids around.

That said in general terms it wasn't a bad season but I never felt all season that United were playing well. Never looked as dangerous going forward as you'd expect. Ground out the wins rather than won in style. I had myself duped into thinking that they could do it again to Barca on the basis of the Arsenal games but that was a flawed logic. The two Liverpool games were a better indicator perhaps. United won the league this year because their deficiencies only get exploited by good teams. The lack of a serious challenge by Chelsea was also a help. To get the 4 in a row sizeable improvement is required.

The GAA

As i've thought for a while, a creative midfileder is the missing link for this team - a new scholes. hargreaves will solve the DM problem, with fletcher an adequate understudy. kaka is probably unrealistic as a target but someone in that mould is needed.

Minder

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 28, 2009, 11:13:44 AM
Firstly congrats to Barcelona. On the night United had no answer to their brilliant midfield artistry and inspired attacking play. As some have mentioned earlier they are a model club. ALWAYS play the game the right way. Do not deface their shirt with sponsors names. Most importantly they are owned by the supporters and not some parasitic businessmen so decisions about the club are related to the game and not motivated by profits or "growing the business". If United had to lose to anyone it makes it slightly more bearable that its them.

Secondly I want to compliment Hound (more later), Corn, Gabhurl, Doogie Browser and Bensars among others who support other clubs (sorry for leaving a few out) but opposed the numbskull school of gloating that went on. I've probably fought with and annoyed ye all over the years but thanks for showing your class. We're probably all guilty of taking it way too seriously (a throwback to childhood I think) but some measure and a bit of respect is no harm. I always think that kicking someone when they're down is a horrible sign of a person and I'm glad many agree with me. My cousin sent me a text last night, a quote attributed by him to the great Sir Matt Busby who would have turned 100 this week if he was still alive – "There should be no conceit in victory and no despair in defeat". Not always easy to adhere to but something to aspire to.
On the game obviously the first goal was poor and left United a mountain to climb. It settled a nervy Barca and once they started to do their stuff United were in bother. There were half chances that could have brought United back into it – the cross that bounced clear over Park's head (did it not seem a really odd bounce?) probably the best. However, Barca ran out comfortable and deserved winners in the end. A lot of things were wrong last night that contributed to United looking so ordinary.

United – what now? Hound has constantly and correctly pointed out how poor United midfield has been this season and they paid for it last night. Hargreaves will hopefully return and it is absolutely crucial he does. I think United need someone else in there now as Fletcher is the best of the rest. Carrick is adequate if he has a strong partner but not good enough to lead in this sector. Anderson disappointed big time last night and the jury is still out. Every time I think he's getting it together and about to establish himself he fails another test. Great servants that they have been but Giggs and Scholes are just not able for the highest level. I could go on for ages...Ronaldo must be kept as should Tevez. Get rid of Berbatov and get another striker. Get rid of Nani and try to get Ribery if possible or Valencia. United played with no wingers last night which is not the United way. Should have got Palacios in the January window – not too many good central mids around.

That said in general terms it wasn't a bad season but I never felt all season that United were playing well. Never looked as dangerous going forward as you'd expect. Ground out the wins rather than won in style. I had myself duped into thinking that they could do it again to Barca on the basis of the Arsenal games but that was a flawed logic. The two Liverpool games were a better indicator perhaps. United won the league this year because their deficiencies only get exploited by good teams. The lack of a serious challenge by Chelsea was also a help. To get the 4 in a row sizeable improvement is required.

Agree with the bit in bold above.............

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 22, 2009, 05:53:42 PM

I would really enjoy seeing the barcodes go down if only for the scenes of fat Geordies bawling their eyes out!
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 28, 2009, 11:13:44 AM

Im pretty ok at the first one (not gloating) but the latter is automatic, how can anyone be any other way after a defeat. I have to not care which would be impossible. I love quotes by famous people but i diisagree with the latter part as it is too idealisitic and inhuman in a way but strongly agree with conceit in victory part, got alot of that in my face over the yrs, worst feeling ever.

Seen Barca V Real a few weeks ago, simply stunning football side, congrats to them on last night.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

nrico2006

Quoteapart from the 3-0 win over a chelsea team that was in dissaray under scolari, did united beat a real top quality team all season??

They beat Arsenal twice recently if I am not mistaken.  I would class Inter as a top Quality side also. 

QuoteAs i've thought for a while, a creative midfileder is the missing link for this team - a new scholes. hargreaves will solve the DM problem, with fletcher an adequate understudy. kaka is probably unrealistic as a target but someone in that mould is needed

Agreed, it has been obvious this season that United's problem is in the middle.  Hargreaves has been a big loss, and United require a Fabregas type of player to pull the strings in the middle.  I would agree with getting rid of Berbatov, never the type of player that was needed.  An out and out striker is required, they should really go for Villa.  Barca were brilliant last night, but United never got going.  Badly lack a ball winner (H'greaves/Fletcher) in midfield and that was my worry in the run up to this match, you can get away with it against most teams but Barca have the strongest midfield pairing in the world. 

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

Sligonian - disappointment yes, of course but you should never despair!