Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Programme about Munich with Harry Gregg on BBC1 at 10.35pm. Missed a couple of programmes on BBC 4 tonight. I don't seem to have it. Can anytone tell me how to tune it in on SKY or if I can view the programmes at a later date on the web?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 04, 2008, 10:29:05 PM
Programme about Munich with Harry Gregg on BBC1 at 10.35pm. Missed a couple of programmes on BBC 4 tonight. I don't seem to have it. Can anytone tell me how to tune it in on SKY or if I can view the programmes at a later date on the web?
Regards online, the Beeb are putting on plenty of ads about how you can watch them online for a week afterwards. What they won't tell you is that the service is only available to Her Majesty's subjects. Despite us only being less than an hour's drive away, sure you'll probably see the UK if you climb that hill ye have on the peninsula.

As for Sky - dunno, ask someone who has it. >:(

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 04, 2008, 10:06:38 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 04, 2008, 09:02:49 PM
Jaysus, another screamer from Manucho. He looks the real deal. I'm sure Fergie is regretting loaning him out til the rest of the season.

I think he had to for permit reasons. Why can he play in Greece and not the UK? Is the permit laws not governed across the EU?
I'm only going on Football Manager experience (for which I am 250/1 to be Ireland boss :P), but there was always that problem with the UK, didn't have it with any of the other big EU states. If you're there to sponge though, you'll probably get away with it.

Gabriel_Hurl

AZOffaly

Tomorrow marks the 50th anniversary of the tragedy in Munich, and I hope fans of all teams pay those men the respect they deserve on Saturday. There was a very good article in the 'Kop' about the disaster, the survivors and the dead.

One of our own, Liam Whelan, was among the fallen, along with 7 other players and 15 other passangers.

Fans of all teams love slagging each other, and sometimes it goes too far. However, I feel it is only right and proper that anyone who has any interest in soccer in these islands pays proper respect to the men who seemed destined for greatness until a cruel fate befell them.

This post may seem sickly sweet as a Liverpool fan :D, but I genuinely believe that human sympathy and respect should be the overriding emotion tomorrow, and Saturday/Sunday.

RIP The Busby Babes, and I am sure they are proud of what Manchester United have accomplished since they left the field forever.

Uladh

The program on bbc last night with harry gregg was very moving.

i wonder how good duncan edwards could have been?

cavan4ever

EC Unique

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 05, 2008, 03:43:52 PM
Tomorrow marks the 50th anniversary of the tragedy in Munich, and I hope fans of all teams pay those men the respect they deserve on Saturday. There was a very good article in the 'Kop' about the disaster, the survivors and the dead.

One of our own, Liam Whelan, was among the fallen, along with 7 other players and 15 other passangers.

Fans of all teams love slagging each other, and sometimes it goes too far. However, I feel it is only right and proper that anyone who has any interest in soccer in these islands pays proper respect to the men who seemed destined for greatness until a cruel fate befell them.

This post may seem sickly sweet as a Liverpool fan :D, but I genuinely believe that human sympathy and respect should be the overriding emotion tomorrow, and Saturday/Sunday.

RIP The Busby Babes, and I am sure they are proud of what Manchester United have accomplished since they left the field forever.

:o :o Fair play to you AZ 8) 8) :)

Minder

I dont mean to be insensitive in any way but i wonder if something similar happened today would there be the same outpouring of grief 50 years on. I read somewhere that it had such a huge impact and still does today because the fans of that era could really identify with the players, indeed it wasnt uncommon for players to walk to home games with fans. I read Gary Imlachs brilliant book "My Father and other working class football heroes" and he said many supporters would have been earning the same or more than the players at that time and clubs operated a system where they let out houses for players for the duration of their contract but if the players were not needed they were out of the house and on the street basically. I suppose Jimmy Hill did have a use after all in helping to abolish the maximum wage for footballers......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

That's a good point Minder. There's no doubt that it was a lot easier for fans to identify with players when they could literally meet them all over town, and they were earning money which was not beyond people's capacity to imagine.

However, the other thing with the Munich disaster was the sheer sense of waste. What could these lads have achieved? I think anything similar today (God Forbid) would at least have that aspect to it.

stew

Quote from: Uladh on February 05, 2008, 03:49:02 PM

I have asked my older  family members that on a few occasions, they said to a man that they thought he was going to be absolutely outstanding and that his distribution was incredible. Charlton always said that he would have gone down as the best ever player in history and this from a man that played with Best.

We will never know but if he was being mentioned by a legend as better than Best and pele etc he must have been some kind of player.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Norf Tyrone

Not bing disrespectful, but was there not something a few years back that cast doubts on Gregg's role in the story? Basically he was all but called a liar.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Minder

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 05, 2008, 05:31:21 PM

Not bing disrespectful, but was there not something a few years back that cast doubts on Gregg's role in the story? Basically he was all but called a liar.

Tell us more Norf
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Norf Tyrone

If you note Minder I was asking. I vaguely remember something about some of the other survivors falling out with him re his role in the event. I could be wrong.
As I said I'm note trying to be disrespectful, just wondering.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone