Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

He's going to get paid a massive amount more than he would have at West ham. Think he's smart enough.

Have to laugh at the arrogance of big clubs simply expecting players to voluntarily give up truck loads of cash that they're contractually entitled to so that the club can receive a transfer fee.

NAG1

Quote from: gallsman on August 16, 2023, 11:48:30 AM
He's going to get paid a massive amount more than he would have at West ham. Think he's smart enough.

Have to laugh at the arrogance of big clubs simply expecting players to voluntarily give up truck loads of cash that they're contractually entitled to so that the club can receive a transfer fee.

He is angling for a bigger pay out, he goes now he would be entitled to 15m if the club are looking him out.

Apparently he has been offered 6m, I would imagine there is a compromise to be had there. More money to get him off the books and he wants to be playing regularly coming up to the Euros.

marty34

You'd think Maguire would want a fresh start.

New club and new manager would do him the world of good I reckon.

gallsman

Quote from: NAG1 on August 16, 2023, 11:55:53 AM

He is angling for a bigger pay out, he goes now he would be entitled to 15m if the club are looking him out.

Apparently he has been offered 6m, I would imagine there is a compromise to be had there. More money to get him off the books and he wants to be playing regularly coming up to the Euros.

He's entitled to the entirety of the remainder of his contract. Why would he settle for a penny less?

Quote from: marty34 on August 16, 2023, 11:56:25 AM

I'm sure he would, but not at this own expense

marty34

Quote from: gallsman on August 16, 2023, 12:00:40 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on August 16, 2023, 11:55:53 AM

He's entitled to the entirety of the remainder of his contract. Why would he settle for a penny less?

Quote from: marty34 on August 16, 2023, 11:56:25 AM

I'm sure he would, but not at this own expense

True but I'm sure his agent could negoiate a good deal for him.

He needs first team football or sit on the bench.

gallsman

What's a "good" deal? Anything less than the entirety of what he's entitled to and he's giving up money. If United want him off the books so badly, make him whole, i.e. whatever the difference he'd be making in his current deal vs what's on offer from West Ham over the equivalent period.

trailer

If he had any self respect he'd move on, money or not. I get that he feels entitled to pick up £200k odd a week for the next 2 years, but surely he can see the fans will not like that. It's a legacy of Woodward and OGS two absolute shitheads.

gallsman

Lol, "self respect". Catch yourself on. Routinely accept less money than you're owed, do you? Why should it be any different for a footballer?

It's not that he "feels" entitled. He is entitled, end of. That's how contracts work.

statto

Quote from: trailer on August 16, 2023, 12:28:30 PM
If he had any self respect he'd move on, money or not. I get that he feels entitled to pick up £200k odd a week for the next 2 years, but surely he can see the fans will not like that. It's a legacy of Woodward and OGS two absolute shitheads.
I am sure Harry gives a shite about the fans who childishly boo him, just right to dig his heals in even to Christmas and get a move in January. 

trailer

Quote from: gallsman on August 16, 2023, 12:34:54 PM
Lol, "self respect". Catch yourself on. Routinely accept less money than you're owed, do you? Why should it be any different for a footballer?

It's not that he "feels" entitled. He is entitled, end of. That's how contracts work.

I totally get how contracts work and I agree he's 100% entitled to the money. The point I am making is that as a footballer with aspirations to play football you'd think he'd look for another club where he could play football. I am sure he looked last year and saw the EtH preferred a LB at CB instead of him? Surely he realises he's not going to play? 

Mike Tyson

Maguire perfectly entitled to stay and receive his wages while sitting on the bench and not playing. Football no different to any other workplace in that you'll get employees with no motivation to better themselves and coast along collecting their wage.

You'd think with a euro's coming up, regular first team football and securing his England spot would be the priority over money but obviously not.

If I was in a workplace were I effectively got demoted twice (losing captaincy & first team place)and told there was no plans for me, I'd be fairly eager to move on regardless of money owed. Maybe it's different when you're a multimillionaire.

Ghost

I agree with a lot of this, many a time when a player wants to the leave clubs are quick to say they have a contract and are expected to honour it but when the shoe is on the other foot they don't like it so much.

I see further down you mentioning that he's entitled to the entirety of the remainder of his contract. Surely Utd wouldn't have to pay it all out? If they could negotiate some sort of deal where they subsidies his wages for the remainder of the time he had left at Utd. So if he's on 200k a week at old Trafford and West  Ham offer him 100k and he has 2 years left on his contract at Utd then utd keep paying him 100k a week for those 2 years so he's not at a loss. Not sure if that sort of compromise could happen but would be a good deal for all, no? Maguire gets to play in the 1st team at a big club without taking an instant wage cut and Utd get rid of half his wages plus the significant transfer they receive for a player they clearly don't want.

Or maybe that's all a bit too idealistic from me 😂

gallsman

Quote from: Mike Tyson on August 16, 2023, 12:56:49 PM
Maguire perfectly entitled to stay and receive his wages while sitting on the bench and not playing. Football no different to any other workplace in that you'll get employees with no motivation to better themselves and coast along collecting their wage.

You'd think with a euro's coming up, regular first team football and securing his England spot would be the priority over money but obviously not.

If I was in a workplace were I effectively got demoted twice (losing captaincy & first team place)and told there was no plans for me, I'd be fairly eager to move on regardless of money owed. Maybe it's different when you're a multimillionaire.

He's hardly coasting along. I assume he turns up to training and gives nothing less than 100% every time. The choice not to play him is the club's. Nothing to do with his "motivation to better himself", whatever the f**k that means in this context.

gallsman

Quote from: Ghost on August 16, 2023, 01:15:00 PM

I agree with a lot of this, many a time when a player wants to the leave clubs are quick to say they have a contract and are expected to honour it but when the shoe is on the other foot they don't like it so much.

I see further down you mentioning that he's entitled to the entirety of the remainder of his contract. Surely Utd wouldn't have to pay it all out? If they could negotiate some sort of deal where they subsidies his wages for the remainder of the time he had left at Utd. So if he's on 200k a week at old Trafford and West  Ham offer him 100k and he has 2 years left on his contract at Utd then utd keep paying him 100k a week for those 2 years so he's not at a loss. Not sure if that sort of compromise could happen but would be a good deal for all, no? Maguire gets to play in the 1st team at a big club without taking an instant wage cut and Utd get rid of half his wages plus the significant transfer they receive for a player they clearly don't want.

I also said "make up the balance". I don't know the details of his contract but day unless are paying him 200k a week until June 2025 and West ham can only pay 50k. To be made whole, United should be getting fronting up the remaining 150k.

NAG1

Quote from: gallsman on August 16, 2023, 01:18:46 PM
Quote from: Ghost on August 16, 2023, 01:15:00 PM

I also said "make up the balance". I don't know the details of his contract but day unless are paying him 200k a week until June 2025 and West ham can only pay 50k. To be made whole, United should be getting fronting up the remaining 150k.

That's not how it works, same as any manager who is sacked they are entitled to their full contracted wage unless they join another club at which point the previous club no longer have legal obligation to pay them. Standard contract.

Maguire can legally sit there and collect his wages from now until the end of his contract and nothing the club can do about. Should the club want him to move on they will have to negotiate with the player to move him on and pay him an acceptable proportion of his remaining contract out. It is now down to Maguire if he wants the move as to what is an acceptable proportion.

Once he has signed with another club and has negotiated his severance terms with United there is no legal obligation on the club to keep paying him.

Thing is if he wants to play for England he needs to play regularly, not likely at United, so he will have to decide how much money is enough from United for him to leave.