Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

A great month for United results and performances to match.

Carrick, Young & Herrera outstanding, the turnaround is Young is the biggest surprise to me. Fellaini would still be very average if he was playing where Carrick & Herrera do but further forward he's causing everyone all sorts of problems, will be interesting to see what Mourinho does next week, half expecting Mikel to come back in as he'll want Matic protecting the back 4.

Surprised at how easy it was yesterday, made City look very average. They didn't look fit enough to press United for more than 10 minutes. We looked a fitter team and were able to play with greater intensity.

AZOffaly

So now I'm confused. Is Van Gaal still a spoofer and a bluffer, or is he now the messiah again?

GJL

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2015, 11:04:03 AM
So now I'm confused. Is Van Gaal still a spoofer and a bluffer, or is he now the messiah again?
I don't think many serious Utd fans were accusing him of that. More the non fans as far as I remember. His record speaks for itself.

AZOffaly

I think there were a few lads less than convinced. Remember all the talk of his philosophy? Anyway, he looks like he's steadied the ship, got some great results recently, and is in good shape to go for second. Ye should win the treble next year :)

GJL

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2015, 11:11:26 AM
I think there were a few lads less than convinced. Remember all the talk of his philosophy? Anyway, he looks like he's steadied the ship, got some great results recently, and is in good shape to go for second. Ye should win the treble next year :)

A couple of big buys in the summer (central defenders and maybe a striker) and we won't be far away.... ;)

Boycey

In the modern world of social media and instant kneejerk reactions he'll only ever be a couple of games away from being a spoofer and a bluffer again... ;)

AZOffaly

Sickens my hole, so it does.

nrico2006

Quote from: GJL on April 13, 2015, 11:19:13 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2015, 11:11:26 AM

A couple of big buys in the summer (central defenders and maybe a striker) and we won't be far away.... ;)

Plus a strong ballwinner/defensive midfielder.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

My conscience is very clear on this one.

AZOffaly

Yep, wasn't a dig at you. It's important in this day and age to keep the long view in mind.

magpie seanie

Oh I know that. Muppets on slagging off someone like LVG about his "philosophy" not long ago. He's coaching royalty FFS. The games where United were playing really badly (according to some people) you could see they were retaining possession really well (dominating it in fact). The progress has been slow but there to see for anyone who actually watched. Trouble is too many comment after reading a score and a headline only.

screenexile

I'll hold my hands up in that I didn't think it would work out but United are playing well there's no denying it. Is it more by accident or design I'm not so sure but does that really matter?

Something tells me that there is still a weakness in this team that would stop them from winning a league I can't see that happening but they've definitely got a Champions League place now and they'll be up pushing again next season but as long as they don't win I'll be happy enough.

PS. I enjoyed the "Manchester is Red" nonsense from the lads on Facebook who had been missing most of the season. . . yeah it's not so much seeing as City are still the Champions!! I imagine they'll get a new manager in shortly after the seasons over (Ancelotti) and start assembling another squad of younger superstars!

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 13, 2015, 02:31:18 PM
Oh I know that. Muppets on slagging off someone like LVG about his "philosophy" not long ago. He's coaching royalty FFS. The games where United were playing really badly (according to some people) you could see they were retaining possession really well (dominating it in fact). The progress has been slow but there to see for anyone who actually watched. Trouble is too many comment after reading a score and a headline only.

Progress has been slow and very gradual but I do think the injury to RVP helped. I was astounded that Herrera wasn't starting earlier on in the season, he was dropped after one average performance. I've been saying it for 2 years, RVP & Rooney can't play in the same team.

I still think we're in for a nervy last few games if we pick up any less than 4 points against Chelsea & Everton. 10 points required from the remaining 6 games to guarantee top 4 unless Liverpool start winning every game 3-0.

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2015, 02:21:19 PM
Yep, wasn't a dig at you. It's important in this day and age to keep the long view in mind.

Its hard to expect guys on internet forums and social media to keep perspective when a fair share of "experts" in the media don't?? Viewed in hindsight a lot of what is said is laughable and I'm not just talking about United, I'm talking in general.

Paul Merson, Charlie Nicholas, Stan Collymore, Robbie Savage I could go on!!!!

nrico2006

When you look at the money City have spent over the past 6/7 years then you would have to look at their return as being pretty poor.  They have never really went out and been the clear dominant team in the league, they won their first title by virtue of goal difference and their second was more to do with Chelsea throwing it away than City winning it.  There is a major clear-out required at City as the majority of their key players 4/5 years ago are still their key players now.  A lot of their signings have not worked out and to heavily reinvest in the summer is going to require a lot of money being generated from player sales which won't be big money considering the age profile of a lot of the players that will be going.   

I am glad to see Herrera and Mata to the fore now, I have been crying out for them to be included all season and they are great to watch in full flow.  Come the summer I still think United need a real physical presence in the middle to do the donkey work, someone in the mould of Matic.  I see William Carvalho linked again with a move, would he be that kind of player?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'