Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

Quote from: David McKeown on April 12, 2015, 09:19:07 PM
The rule book would define that as. "Interfering with play means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate. Interfering with an opponent means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball."
David,
I'm not sure where you get that definition, the row going on here is about this FIFA guideline:
Quote"Interfering with an opponent" means:
 Preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball. For example, by clearly obstructing the goalkeeper's line of vision or movement.
Making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.
this is from FIFA
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/5.%20law%2011_554.pdf
so my little ball buster is telling me that Rooney distracts the opponent (Joe Hart) so it is offside according to fifa.
I'm going with it is not offside because Fellaini was onside and Hart's "distraction" was his own problem...

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

StGallsGAA

Hopefully Carrick is OK for Saturday.  He was immense today.

David McKeown

Quote from: heganboy on April 12, 2015, 10:42:15 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on April 12, 2015, 09:19:07 PM
The rule book would define that as. "Interfering with play means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team-mate. Interfering with an opponent means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball."
David,
I'm not sure where you get that definition, the row going on here is about this FIFA guideline:
Quote"Interfering with an opponent" means:
 Preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball. For example, by clearly obstructing the goalkeeper's line of vision or movement.
Making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.
this is from FIFA
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/5.%20law%2011_554.pdf
so my little ball buster is telling me that Rooney distracts the opponent (Joe Hart) so it is offside according to fifa.
I'm going with it is not offside because Fellaini was onside and Hart's "distraction" was his own problem...

Those definitions are both from the FIFA guidelines on the laws of the game and were repeated by the FA a few years back after the Jonny Evans og when Ba was behind him. Distracting an opponent when in an offside position does not render you offside. The distraction must prevent the opponent playing the ball or being able to play the ball.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

magpie seanie

Bring on Chelsea. I think United are the best team in the league at the minute and it will be undeniable with a win next weekend. Chelsea will be a tougher nut to crack though because even though they're not on top form and missing a few top players they are organised and have great spirit about them. And have a top, top manager no matter what he's like. Unlike abu dhabi.

Maroon Manc

A great month for United results and performances to match.

Carrick, Young & Herrera outstanding, the turnaround is Young is the biggest surprise to me. Fellaini would still be very average if he was playing where Carrick & Herrera do but further forward he's causing everyone all sorts of problems, will be interesting to see what Mourinho does next week, half expecting Mikel to come back in as he'll want Matic protecting the back 4.

Surprised at how easy it was yesterday, made City look very average. They didn't look fit enough to press United for more than 10 minutes. We looked a fitter team and were able to play with greater intensity.

AZOffaly

So now I'm confused. Is Van Gaal still a spoofer and a bluffer, or is he now the messiah again?

GJL

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2015, 11:04:03 AM
So now I'm confused. Is Van Gaal still a spoofer and a bluffer, or is he now the messiah again?
I don't think many serious Utd fans were accusing him of that. More the non fans as far as I remember. His record speaks for itself.

AZOffaly

I think there were a few lads less than convinced. Remember all the talk of his philosophy? Anyway, he looks like he's steadied the ship, got some great results recently, and is in good shape to go for second. Ye should win the treble next year :)

GJL

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2015, 11:11:26 AM
I think there were a few lads less than convinced. Remember all the talk of his philosophy? Anyway, he looks like he's steadied the ship, got some great results recently, and is in good shape to go for second. Ye should win the treble next year :)

A couple of big buys in the summer (central defenders and maybe a striker) and we won't be far away.... ;)

Boycey

In the modern world of social media and instant kneejerk reactions he'll only ever be a couple of games away from being a spoofer and a bluffer again... ;)

AZOffaly

Sickens my hole, so it does.

nrico2006

Quote from: GJL on April 13, 2015, 11:19:13 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2015, 11:11:26 AM

A couple of big buys in the summer (central defenders and maybe a striker) and we won't be far away.... ;)

Plus a strong ballwinner/defensive midfielder.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

My conscience is very clear on this one.

AZOffaly

Yep, wasn't a dig at you. It's important in this day and age to keep the long view in mind.

magpie seanie

Oh I know that. Muppets on slagging off someone like LVG about his "philosophy" not long ago. He's coaching royalty FFS. The games where United were playing really badly (according to some people) you could see they were retaining possession really well (dominating it in fact). The progress has been slow but there to see for anyone who actually watched. Trouble is too many comment after reading a score and a headline only.