Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: gallsman on December 08, 2011, 06:44:27 PM
The patronising attitude of many United fans (not necessarily saying on here) and in the UK media towards Basel was shocking. They've been a pretty consisitent force from when they broke through 9/10 years ago - stopping Celtic qualifying and knocking Liverpool out in first group stage. In Shaqiri  they have one of the most sought after young players in Europe and Alex Frei has scored goals throughout his career.

Anyone overly surprised by last night's result after the first game is insane.

Shaqiri is an incredible talent. But Basel played much better than they usually do .The tactics were top class.Streller was  on fire said the papers and Frei never did much on the international front. He wouldn't be in the premiership if he was playing in England.

gallsman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 08, 2011, 07:13:45 PM
The patronising attitude of many United fans (not necessarily saying on here) and in the UK media towards Basel was shocking. They've been a pretty consisitent force from when they broke through 9/10 years ago - stopping Celtic qualifying and knocking Liverpool out in first group stage. In Shaqiri  they have one of the most sought after young players in Europe and Alex Frei has scored goals throughout his career.

I saw on SKY only two years ago Basel finish bottom in the champions league group & to be fair nearly every Champions league team has sought after young players. Whatever way you dress it up it's insane that United with their champions league record didn't get out of that group.

It's an embarrassment to those arrogant enough to assume the group was a cakewalk in an ever more increasingly competitive tournament.

So what if they finished bottom two years ago, they're a small Swiss club. That didn't mean they should be discounted as a threat, especially after the first leg.

For the record, Shaqiri looks set to be sensational. He was phenomenal in the euro u21s during the summer where the Swiss reached the final. Several other Basel players were in that team too.

onefaircounty

All the slagging received is very justified in the most part, United fans here and elsewhere are the worst for dishing it. Although EC seems like a decent lad, don't know why he always get so much abuse on here.

United looks slightly in decline  - centre midfield problems are flashing in neon lights, must be sorted.

Cheer up lads, when we went into the Europa a few years ago I wasn't voerly fussed, but as the tournament progressed it became very enjoyable. Play teams you never usually do and the final stages contain some top teams, embrace it - don't agree with ones saying they hope they're knocked out instantly.

For the match itself, few positives. Jones looks a class act and Nani looked up for it, severly underused in the second half I thought.

Dinny Breen

QuoteNemanja Vidic's agent has said that the Manchester United captain has suffered a ruptured cruciate ligament in a potentially devastating blow to the club's chances of recovering from their Champions League elimination and catching Manchester City at the top of the Premier League

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/08/nemanja-vidic-cruciate-ligament-agent
#newbridgeornowhere

Minder

Why no talk of "rebuilding" or "decline" before last night? Just the other day Utd were gonna come good in the second half of the season, aided no doubt by Fergie Jedi mind tricks, because "they always do" and beat City to the title.

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Captain Obvious

Quote from: gallsman on December 08, 2011, 08:39:05 PM

I saw on SKY only two years ago Basel finish bottom in the champions league group & to be fair nearly every Champions league team has sought after young players. Whatever way you dress it up it's insane that United with their champions league record didn't get out of that group.

It's an embarrassment to those arrogant enough to assume the group was a cakewalk in an ever more increasingly competitive tournament.

So what if they finished bottom two years ago, they're a small Swiss club. That didn't mean they should be discounted as a threat, especially after the first leg.

For the record, Shaqiri looks set to be sensational. He was phenomenal in the euro u21s during the summer where the Swiss reached the final. Several other Basel players were in that team too.

Cakewalk no nonetheless a team that won the Premier league & played in last seasons Champions league final should have enough quality to finish ahead of small Swiss club & so what? didn't you say they were a consisitent force. Not sure are you a United fan or not but anyone associated with Man United FC should feel embarrassed & that's not arrogance just stating the bleeding obvious! Captain out.

ross4life

Quote from: Minder on December 08, 2011, 09:59:16 PM
Why no talk of "rebuilding" or "decline" before last night? Just the other day Utd were gonna come good in the second half of the season, aided no doubt by Fergie Jedi mind tricks, because "they always do" and beat City to the title.

If one of those jedi knights gets taken out it's harder to pull off tricks. United came good in the 2nd half last season I'm sure you'll hoping history will repeat itself.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

seafoid

England is looking at another decade of the zombie economy. The money will be made elsewhere.
Man Utd will feel it especially with the debt load the Glazers kindly shafted the club with .
The seventies were another decade of economic upheaval in dear old blighty and Man Utd
ended up being relegated.

orangeman

Quote from: gawa316 on December 08, 2011, 05:33:45 PM
Any word on Vidic's injury?

Always happy when he is not in the utd team but wouldn't wish a serious (potential) injury that on him or anyone for that matter

Cruciate gone. Out for the season. United can kiss goodbye to the Premiership this year, whatever chance they had of winning it is surely now gone.

ross4life

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 08, 2011, 10:00:27 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 08, 2011, 08:39:05 PM

Cakewalk no nonetheless a team that won the Premier league & played in last seasons Champions league final should have enough quality to finish ahead of small Swiss club & so what? didn't you say they were a consisitent force. Not sure are you a United fan or not but anyone associated with Man United FC should feel embarrassed & that's not arrogance just stating the bleeding obvious! Captain out.
Well Captain I'm a United fan disappointed yes embarrassed no. winning the league & playing in the CL final brings it's own pressure as United where expected to win that group & once United dropped points at home it gave Basel the opportunity to progress, Man United dont have a divine right to qualify every year it just wasn't to be but i have faith they will be back in years ahead stronger than ever.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

EC Unique

Quote from: ross4life on December 08, 2011, 10:13:34 PM
Quote from: Minder on December 08, 2011, 09:59:16 PM

If one of those jedi knights gets taken out it's harder to pull off tricks. United came good in the 2nd half last season I'm sure you'll hoping history will repeat itself.

UTD were poor last season and won the league. It could be done again. It all depends on how city cope with the pressure. It will be close I think.

Orangemac

On the up side at least Utd have the chance to complete the treble of European trophies as this is a competiton they have never won before. ;D

For a bonus point which 4 teams have won all 3 european trophies?

onefaircounty

Quote from: Orangemac on December 08, 2011, 11:47:19 PM
On the up side at least Utd have the chance to complete the treble of European trophies as this is a competiton they have never won before. ;D

For a bonus point which 4 teams have won all 3 european trophies?

Havn't a clue, we have never won cup winners I dont think so we're out

I'll throw Monaco and Porto into the mix, and AC Milan.

RealSpiritof98

the only chance utd had of winning the league was City qualifing for the next round, I think city will win it by 15 points now.  We won the league last year with an average midfield and now that scholes is gone we have no guile whatsoever.  Its time to buy a few midfielders as I think Jones and smalling will develop into great defenders. p.s I think young cleverly has been a big miss, he was great in pre season and 1st few weeks of season.

Norf Tyrone

I missed the craic on here last night. Sigh.

Seemed only a week ago that AVB was the man with aging team and under pressure.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone