Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: JoG2 on November 26, 2015, 10:53:32 AM
does winning really mean that much?

What else is there? Virtue?

oakleaflad

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 26, 2015, 10:57:07 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 26, 2015, 10:33:41 AM
There are lots of teams about now (and in the past) that score lots of goals.  It is not something that is particularly hard to achieve if a bit of money has been spent, which has been in United's case.  LVG has actually done the hard bit and made his team defensively strong.  But looking back at it from a simplistic perspective, United were terrible on the goal front last year (worst goals total in 20 odd years) yet LVG lets two go and only brings in one.  Rooney needs dropped and why does he persist with two holding midfielders when United are eating the ball, why not push one forward (Bastian) and see what happens.  Carrick is not the answer either, always labours in possession.  My dream is that United end up getting Mourinho or Simeone come the summer.  LVG has steadied the ship after the Moyes debacle but he is not the answer going forward. 

How does LVG justify his treatment of Herrera and Mata against that of Rooney.  The two spaniards have and will offer more in terms of a goal threat (assists/goals) yet rarely get an uninterrupted run in the team yet Rooney is a near cert irrelevant of form.

Mourinho & Simone, both are more pragmatic than LVG so I'm not sure of your logic?  Pep will have on eye on the job & I like Pochettino too, his team play a good brand of football and he's not worried by playing younger players either but will reserve full judgement on him until the end of the season.

Carrick hash is uses, he's the best passer of our 5 midfielders and easily has the most variation.

Agree on Herrera & Mata, although not convinced by Mata he deserves a run in his best position ahead of Rooney.

The injury to Shaw is a huge loss, he was having such a positive impact on our play and that helped Depay too, it gave him more space. Valencia is a bigger loss than people realise too, as frustrating as he is at crossing the ball the rest of his game has improved in the last 6 months at rightback.
Agree with everything you have said except the bit highlighted. Valencia is poor, he has no left foot and tries the same flick out from his right foot every time he tries to go past a player. He's like a glorified Keith Gillespie. I'm a United fan too btw.

JoG2

Quote from: deiseach on November 26, 2015, 11:00:13 AM

the tiniest tootiest smidgen of class

deiseach

Class is nice - all other things being equal.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JoG2 on November 26, 2015, 11:11:43 AM

Mid table and have a smidgen of class... Jesus things really have went sour and expectations seemed to be zero...... Arsenal have always had class since Wenger took over, they had it all but when did they last win the league ? all the class in the world won't just win the league..

great teams have been built on great defenders and keepers... only have to look at Liverpool teams late 70's and 80's Utds team of the 90' and 00's and Chelsea's teams have always had that great defence... stopping goals first and foremost stick in some creative players and decent strikers and job done.... Utd need to get over these injuries, sell Rooney and line up a manager ... jury is out on Giggsy but I've a feeling that he'll have served his apprenticeship under LVH get the job!!

Utd have changed so much, I don't watch them that much, still love a good wind up but if the computer is free I'll hook up to a game , listened to the game for most parts on the radio (Greene would make you want to throw the rope up!) have promised to take my dad over for an end of season game but watching a nil nil would be disappointing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 26, 2015, 02:15:35 PM

Mid table and have a smidgen of class... Jesus things really have went sour and expectations seemed to be zero...... Arsenal have always had class since Wenger took over, they had it all but when did they last win the league ? all the class in the world won't just win the league..

great teams have been built on great defenders and keepers... only have to look at Liverpool teams late 70's and 80's Utds team of the 90' and 00's and Chelsea's teams have always had that great defence... stopping goals first and foremost stick in some creative players and decent strikers and job done.... Utd need to get over these injuries, sell Rooney and line up a manager ... jury is out on Giggsy but I've a feeling that he'll have served his apprenticeship under LVH get the job!!

Utd have changed so much, I don't watch them that much, still love a good wind up but if the computer is free I'll hook up to a game , listened to the game for most parts on the radio (Greene would make you want to throw the rope up!) have promised to take my dad over for an end of season game but watching a nil nil would be disappointing

Greene has always had it in for United and always begrudgingly accepted their victories even when they were playing some of the best football the EPL had ever seen.

You are right though MR2 championship winning teams are teams that give very little away and LVG has got that bit right, he just doesnt have enough going forward. He more than anyone is probably aware of this and that is why the strategy comes across as no risk cagey stuff, try not to get beat first.

I dont care who they bring in manager wise, the simple fact is that, we wont have two flying wingers down the sides playing crosses in for two central strikers, the game just has gone away from this type of football.

blewuporstuffed

Rooney nominated for the FIFApro  world XI  :-[  :-[ :-X
Have they not seen him play this year???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34932434
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on November 26, 2015, 02:21:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 26, 2015, 02:15:35 PM

Greene has always had it in for United and always begrudgingly accepted their victories even when they were playing some of the best football the EPL had ever seen.

You are right though MR2 championship winning teams are teams that give very little away and LVG has got that bit right, he just doesnt have enough going forward. He more than anyone is probably aware of this and that is why the strategy comes across as no risk cagey stuff, try not to get beat first.

I dont care who they bring in manager wise, the simple fact is that, we wont have two flying wingers down the sides playing crosses in for two central strikers, the game just has gone away from this type of football.

Was going to put that in also, but that means a creative player, we have them, but they seem stifled or instructed not to do that.... and the tempo (from what I listened to last night was there for a good period at the start, but didn't trouble PSV and Utd were left hanging on for a point...Anyways next match I'll be at NAG will be the 6th Feb  ;) Jesus it's about time you break your duck!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rodney trotter

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2015, 11:46:38 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 25, 2015, 11:25:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2015, 11:07:24 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 25, 2015, 10:31:41 PM
Second in the league for now. Arsenal and City play much better football then United, if Arsenal got more consisteny they could win the league.

It also says it all when Leicester are top, wouldn't be the case in Spain, Germany or Italy.

Shows you how crap the other teams are below the top four.... Poor league, as the results in Europe have shown in last few years

The other teams are scoring though. United have scored the least goals in the top 4  with 19 goals conceded 9. The next team with the same number of goals scored is in 8th place, Southampton. Liverpool in 9th place have 17 scored

Grinding out wins with all the money spent.

So you'd rather be mid table and scoring goals (obviously letting in a lot also) than second , hmmm... Ok that sounds right, aim high but consistently (25+years) fall flat on your face....

Utd are playing shite and still above City and Arsenal ( the only real contenders) Utd won't win the league playing this way ... Never will ... Unfortunately like all good things they come to end... May take another stroke of luck to get anywhere near their heights of the past..

Money spent is money spent, if you spend a lot of money but able to afford it, what odds, none of these teams are going to be bankrupt any day soon

Nope. didn't say that. The other teams are at least creating chances. Spurs are 3 pts behind United. They look a much beter team.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 28, 2015, 11:18:13 AM
Second in the league for now. Arsenal and City play much better football then United, if Arsenal got more consisteny they could win the league.

It also says it all when Leicester are top, wouldn't be the case in Spain, Germany or Italy.

Shows you how crap the other teams are below the top four.... Poor league, as the results in Europe have shown in last few years

The other teams are scoring though. United have scored the least goals in the top 4  with 19 goals conceded 9. The next team with the same number of goals scored is in 8th place, Southampton. Liverpool in 9th place have 17 scored

So you'd rather be mid table and scoring goals (obviously letting in a lot also) than second , hmmm... Ok that sounds right, aim high but consistently (25+years) fall flat on your face....

Utd are playing shite and still above City and Arsenal ( the only real contenders) Utd won't win the league playing this way ... Never will ... Unfortunately like all good things they come to end... May take another stroke of luck to get anywhere near their heights of the past..

Money spent is money spent, if you spend a lot of money but able to afford it, what odds, none of these teams are going to be bankrupt any day soon

Nope. didn't say that. The other teams are at least creating chances. Spurs are 3 pts behind United. They look a much beter team.

But spurs consistently end up out of the top four, but hey, they are a better team  ::)

rodney trotter

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2015, 12:29:39 PM

But spurs consistently end up out of the top four, but hey, they are a better team  ::)

We are talking about this season, not the past ::)

Maybe stop jumping into things and read them correct.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 28, 2015, 01:38:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2015, 12:29:39 PM

We are talking about this season, not the past ::)

Maybe stop jumping into things and read them correct.

I am talking about this season, Spurs are below Utd because they are not playing as well as Utd... That simple enough to understand I would have thought.... Anyway long way to go this year for Spurs to to get ahead of Utd with how they are playing

stew

I just saw he started Carrick and the German, Utd are fecked!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

brokencrossbar1

Record breaker Jamie Vardy? A Vardy party tonight!!

stew

Shit, Vardy just scored, fair play to him, he is a fantastic story but I hope LVG has the sense to get after it here and stop fecking about with his system, Leicester City are in dreamland at the moment.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.