Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranch

Quote from: deiseach on May 09, 2013, 09:35:51 AM
Quote from: ranch on May 09, 2013, 12:50:14 AM
I can't see United letting a scenario develop like the Roy Hodgson situation when he was at Liverpool. Manager's need time, I'm confident United understand that.

Yeah, I'm sure the board at Old Trafford won't be too bothered if they lose to Northampton.

What, like the time time they lost 3-0 at home to York in 1995?

deiseach

Quote from: ranch on May 09, 2013, 12:50:02 PM
I can't see United letting a scenario develop like the Roy Hodgson situation when he was at Liverpool. Manager's need time, I'm confident United understand that.

Yeah, I'm sure the board at Old Trafford won't be too bothered if they lose to Northampton.

That was the best part of ten years into Ferguson's reign. I think he had built up a smidgin of credit. Besides, did he state before the game that York would be "a formidable challenge"? A self-fulfilling prophecy if ever there was one.

Hound

Moyes interview with Sky Sports News
Only 20 secs long, but worth a watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONGETuxt3qc&feature=youtu.be

NAG1

Done deal, Moyes to United at the end of the season.

Did the bookies ever suspend the betting on him or just make it not worthwhile to the point no one would back it.

ranch

Quote from: deiseach on May 09, 2013, 12:56:45 PM
Quote from: ranch on May 09, 2013, 12:50:02 PM

That was the best part of ten years into Ferguson's reign. I think he had built up a smidgin of credit. Besides, did he state before the game that York would be "a formidable challenge"? A self-fulfilling prophecy if ever there was one.

Had a "smidgin of credit" been built up by 1989 when Man City beat them 5-1? Admittedly not a team at the same level as Northampton but considering the pressure he was starting to come under it's commendable that United didn't over-react.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ross4life on May 08, 2013, 11:59:15 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 08, 2013, 11:27:12 PM

What the above chart fails to show is that Bayern Munich won their League in  1986–87, 1988–89, 1989–90. Barcelona won La Liga 1990–91 and 1991–92, Copa del Rey 1987–88, 1989–90 and the European Cup 1991–92. Real Madrid won La Liga 1986–87, 1987–88, 1988–89, 1989–90. Copa Del Rey 1988–89.

20 years ago United won their first title in 26 years & the above chart shows the last 20 years. Fergie also won plenty before 1992-93 which include 2 cup winners cup,League cup,FA Cup, 3 Scottish Premier league titles etc..

Yes, but the above chart measures only the League, Domestic Cup, and European Cup with Man Utd. In the 6 years previous of his reign he won only one of these titles - the FA Cup.

Look it's a phenomenal domestic record and a decent European one. But if you are going to measure the Man and Club it must be over his total reign!

deiseach

Quote from: ranch on May 09, 2013, 03:05:29 PM
Had a "smidgin of credit" been built up by 1989 when Man City beat them 5-1? Admittedly not a team at the same level as Northampton but considering the pressure he was starting to come under it's commendable that United didn't over-react.

And Liverpool didn't 'over-react' when Brendan Rodgers had the worst start a manager has had in a century. Now, maybe Liverpool's faith in Rodgers is misplaced. Ferguson was a Mark Robins mis-hit away from never fulfilling the faith that was shown in him. But the idea that Liverpool are trigger-happy when it comes to managers is nonsense. Roy Hodgson was a bad fit, and there was no point in sticking with him for fear of being accused of over-reacting.

NAG1

Quote from: deiseach on May 09, 2013, 03:31:17 PM

And Liverpool didn't 'over-react' when Brendan Rodgers had the worst start a manager has had in a century. Now, maybe Liverpool's faith in Rodgers is misplaced. Ferguson was a Mark Robins mis-hit away from never fulfilling the faith that was shown in him. But the idea that Liverpool are trigger-happy when it comes to managers is nonsense. Roy Hodgson was a bad fit, and there was no point in sticking with him for fear of being accused of over-reacting.

Yes but the difference is now that since the Mark Robins goal United have gone on to be successful, on the pitch, but probably more so off the pitch in being revenue generators and world leaders in commercial dealings. Liverpool have not progressed and are probably still 10 years away from being able to compete on the same level as United, ie Stadium Development etc. And that is assuming that United stand still. So they could probably keep BR at the helm but in the modern game I dont think that it is going to make a difference much either way.

Denn Forever

What is the Moyes/Rooney relationship like?  I don't think Rooney is as needed at Utd since VanPersie came.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ranch

Quote from: deiseach on May 09, 2013, 03:31:17 PM

When I referred to Hodgson's situation I meant the overall picture. I never accused LFC of over-reacting, from the moment he was appointed it was clear he would never last. Liverpool should have been aware of this before he was ever appointed though, which was my point.
I'd be confident United have been preparing for this over the past few months now and are sure they have the right man. They could be wrong, just like Liverpool were, I certainly hope not.

deiseach

Quote from: NAG1 on May 09, 2013, 03:36:38 PM
Yes but the difference is now that since the Mark Robins goal United have gone on to be successful, on the pitch, but probably more so off the pitch in being revenue generators and world leaders in commercial dealings. Liverpool have not progressed and are probably still 10 years away from being able to compete on the same level as United, ie Stadium Development etc. And that is assuming that United stand still. So they could probably keep BR at the helm but in the modern game I dont think that it is going to make a difference much either way.

So you think all this means Liverpool should have shown more faith in Roy Hodgson? That is what the discussion is about.

deiseach

Quote from: ranch on May 09, 2013, 03:45:00 PM
When I referred to Hodgson's situation I meant the overall picture. I never accused LFC of over-reacting, from the moment he was appointed it was clear he would never last. Liverpool should have been aware of this before he was ever appointed though, which was my point.

Well, when you said "I can't see United letting a scenario develop like the Roy Hodgson situation when he was at Liverpool. Manager's need time, I'm confident United understand that", I though you meant that Liverpool should have given Roy Hodgson more time. I don't think it was an unreasonable reading of what you said.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 09, 2013, 03:40:38 PM
What is the Moyes/Rooney relationship like?  I don't think Rooney is as needed at Utd since VanPersie came.

Not great, he criticised Moyes in his autobiography. Since made up, hardly makes much difference , Rooney will be on the way out. They will still obviously need to replace Rooney, can't rely on RVP the whole time. Lewandowski would be decent signing.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/#link

NAG1

Quote from: deiseach on May 09, 2013, 03:45:17 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 09, 2013, 03:36:38 PM

So you think all this means Liverpool should have shown more faith in Roy Hodgson? That is what the discussion is about.

Point being, BR or RH it doesnt matter until they get the off the field stuff sorted then they will be fighting an uphill battle regardless.

deiseach

Quote from: NAG1 on May 09, 2013, 03:56:09 PM
Point being, BR or RH it doesnt matter until they get the off the field stuff sorted then they will be fighting an uphill battle regardless.

I think managers matter. Just ask, uh, Man Utd fans ;)