Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: stew on May 09, 2013, 05:49:43 PM
Why?

I don't see anyone challenging United other than City over the next 6 years, Chelsea at a push but United will be fine and Moyes will be around for a long time, Un ited learned from Liverpool back in the day and he will be given time to stamp his mark on the club.

Because Moyes hasn't the experience of winning titles and getting to the latter stages of cup competitions, season after season. He's done reasonably well at Everton, but it's a massive step up. When Ferguson joined United, he had a proven track record of 3 league titles at Aberdeen, plus Scottish cups and a European trophy and broke up the Old Firm dominance.

Moyes as a man seemed a genuine bloke, shoots from the hip, and he'll be a good figurehead at United, as he's similar to Ferguson in ways. Obviously Ferguson recommended him as he sees similar attributes in Moyes as he has himself.

Most big teams don't give their managers much time these days. United haven't been in the same situation as Liverpool, Chelsea etc as Ferguson has done well continually since 1990. But Ferguson nearly was sacked before 1990 too. If Moyes has an average start, the fans will be on his back. He has no European experience either which made it all the more strange United went for him. Ferguson will be there to lend a hand if needed, but he's on him on. I think it's too big a job for Moyes. I've nothing against the guy. I hope he's a success, but I don't see it. I give him two seasons maximum.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ross4life on May 09, 2013, 04:57:25 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 09, 2013, 03:10:32 PM
Quote from: ross4life on May 08, 2013, 11:59:15 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 08, 2013, 11:27:12 PM

What the above chart fails to show is that Bayern Munich won their League in  1986–87, 1988–89, 1989–90. Barcelona won La Liga 1990–91 and 1991–92, Copa del Rey 1987–88, 1989–90 and the European Cup 1991–92. Real Madrid won La Liga 1986–87, 1987–88, 1988–89, 1989–90. Copa Del Rey 1988–89.

20 years ago United won their first title in 26 years & the above chart shows the last 20 years. Fergie also won plenty before 1992-93 which include 2 cup winners cup,League cup,FA Cup, 3 Scottish Premier league titles etc..

Yes, but the above chart measures only the League, Domestic Cup, and European Cup with Man Utd. In the 6 years previous of his reign he won only one of these titles - the FA Cup.

Look it's a phenomenal domestic record and a decent European one. But if you are going to measure the Man and Club it must be over his total reign!

Forgetting the League cup v Notts Forest,Cup winners cup v Barca wins?. United did finish 2nd once in the 80s under Fergie but it wasn't until 1991-92 did Fergie have squad that was good enough to challenge for the league title.
--------------

Yes, but these Trophies are not counted (in the chart)! The chart measures only the League, Domestic Cup, and European Cup. Look at the Chart! I'm sure Bayern, Barca and Real won some of the lesser Trophies as well, but that is not what is being measured!

stew

Quote from: BennyCake on May 09, 2013, 06:56:10 PM
Why?

I don't see anyone challenging United other than City over the next 6 years, Chelsea at a push but United will be fine and Moyes will be around for a long time, Un ited learned from Liverpool back in the day and he will be given time to stamp his mark on the club.

Because Moyes hasn't the experience of winning titles and getting to the latter stages of cup competitions, season after season. He's done reasonably well at Everton, but it's a massive step up. When Ferguson joined United, he had a proven track record of 3 league titles at Aberdeen, plus Scottish cups and a European trophy and broke up the Old Firm dominance.

Moyes as a man seemed a genuine bloke, shoots from the hip, and he'll be a good figurehead at United, as he's similar to Ferguson in ways. Obviously Ferguson recommended him as he sees similar attributes in Moyes as he has himself.

Most big teams don't give their managers much time these days. United haven't been in the same situation as Liverpool, Chelsea etc as Ferguson has done well continually since 1990. But Ferguson nearly was sacked before 1990 too. If Moyes has an average start, the fans will be on his back. He has no European experience either which made it all the more strange United went for him. Ferguson will be there to lend a hand if needed, but he's on him on. I think it's too big a job for Moyes. I've nothing against the guy. I hope he's a success, but I don't see it. I give him two seasons maximum.

I think he will be there for more than a decade, we shall see.

You have to start somewhere, he is smart, a tremendous man manager and he will learn what he needs to learn with fergies help, I swear by the man and I see him being nothing but successful.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

GalwayBayBoy

As it happens I think Moyes is a decent manager and I don't expect United to suddenly be mid-table overnight as the club still has substantial financial muscle and Moyes is certainly not incompetent but he's not Ferguson and likely never will be. No shame in that as Fergie was practically a one man force of nature bestriding the entire club. He leaves at the top but it'll be very hard for any replacement to keep them at the top as consistently as Ferguson has.

BennyCake

Quote from: laoislad on May 09, 2013, 05:40:08 PM

Quote from: BennyCake on May 09, 2013, 05:36:02 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on May 09, 2013, 05:33:38 PM
It will all end in tears I fear.

I think so too.
Fingers crossed.

Were you always a hateful bollix or did you take lessons?

ross4life

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 09, 2013, 07:01:28 PM
Quote from: ross4life on May 09, 2013, 04:57:25 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 09, 2013, 03:10:32 PM
Quote from: ross4life on May 08, 2013, 11:59:15 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 08, 2013, 11:27:12 PM

What the above chart fails to show is that Bayern Munich won their League in  1986–87, 1988–89, 1989–90. Barcelona won La Liga 1990–91 and 1991–92, Copa del Rey 1987–88, 1989–90 and the European Cup 1991–92. Real Madrid won La Liga 1986–87, 1987–88, 1988–89, 1989–90. Copa Del Rey 1988–89.

20 years ago United won their first title in 26 years & the above chart shows the last 20 years. Fergie also won plenty before 1992-93 which include 2 cup winners cup,League cup,FA Cup, 3 Scottish Premier league titles etc..

Yes, but the above chart measures only the League, Domestic Cup, and European Cup with Man Utd. In the 6 years previous of his reign he won only one of these titles - the FA Cup.

Look it's a phenomenal domestic record and a decent European one. But if you are going to measure the Man and Club it must be over his total reign!

Forgetting the League cup v Notts Forest,Cup winners cup v Barca wins?. United did finish 2nd once in the 80s under Fergie but it wasn't until 1991-92 did Fergie have squad that was good enough to challenge for the league title.
--------------

Yes, but these Trophies are not counted (in the chart)! The chart measures only the League, Domestic Cup, and European Cup. Look at the Chart! I'm sure Bayern, Barca and Real won some of the lesser Trophies as well, but that is not what is being measured!

Thats true but winning the cup winners cup 1991,league cup 1992 kept United ticking over & gave them a winning mentality & by 1991-92 Fergie had developed a squad that was good enough to challenge for titles in the years ahead & the last big signing or missing piece in the jigsaw was probably Cantona.

In the next 20 years it will be interesting to see how United are measured against Bayern,Barca,Real hope i'm wrong it won't be anywhere near the last 20 years.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: stew on May 09, 2013, 07:03:30 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 09, 2013, 06:56:10 PM
Why?

I think he will be there for more than a decade, we shall see.

You have to start somewhere, he is smart, a tremendous man manager and he will learn what he needs to learn with fergies help, I swear by the man and I see him being nothing but successful.

Don't know about your predictions Stew didn't you say at the start of the season that United would finish outside the top four?

No one could really replace Matt Busby when he left some decent managers came & went it was Fergie fresh from impressive record at Aberdeen that changed all that but of course the club is a lot better shape now than when Fergie took over & that should help Moyes.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

laoislad

David Moyes has never won an away game at Liverpool,Arsenal,Chelsea or Manchester Utd in the Premier League from 44 attempts.

Hopefully a record he will continue.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on May 09, 2013, 08:27:31 PM
David Moyes has never won an away game at Liverpool,Arsenal,Chelsea or Manchester Utd in the Premier League from 44 attempts.

Well he was in charge of Everton in fairness! ;D

Captain Obvious

He's due a win in Old Trafford.

Farrandeelin

What's all this about MUFC fans supposedly being obsessed with LFC? Methinks in the last few days it's the other way around.... ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

laoislad

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 09, 2013, 09:36:01 PM

What's all this about MUFC fans supposedly being obsessed with LFC? Methinks in the last few days it's the other way around.... ::)

United fans bring Liverpool into almost every topic on this thread even if it has nothing to do with Liverpool.

Slur Fergie leaving is football news and football fans are gonna talk about it no matter who they support.
That's the difference METHINKS!!

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hound

Moyes on 6M a year, so 36M guaranteed. Nice work if you can get it.

The very worst he'll do is come 3rd next year (at the moment I'd pick Chelsea 1st, Utd 2nd, City 3rd - but a lot can change in the transfer market) and I'd expect at least one final in a cup competition (and wouldn't at all be surprised if he did a diMatteo and got to the CL final).

But his biggest challenge is maintaining the aura the club has that they're never beaten until the final whistle goes, that even on days when they're playing rubbish, domestic opposition so often shat themselves when victory looms. 

EC Unique

Quote from: laoislad on May 09, 2013, 09:55:28 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 09, 2013, 09:36:01 PM

United fans bring Liverpool into almost every topic on this thread even if it has nothing to do with Liverpool.

Slur Fergie leaving is football news and football fans are gonna talk about it no matter who they support.
That's the difference METHINKS!!

That's bollocks to be honest. Liverpool are no longer a threat to united in terms of success. We look at Liverpool along the same lines Fulham or West Ham. I doubt if that will change anytime soon so we take a lot less interest.

Saffrongael

Moyes is a boyhood Rangers fan.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come