Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Credit where credit is due, and congratulations to United on reaching their 3rd European Cup final in 4 seasons. That's a record befitting a club, and a manager, that have finally stamped their name, along with that of Barca, all over Europe.

for too long Manchester United and Alex Ferguson doubted himself and their quality when they played in Europe, and I remember far better, in my opinion, United sides getting dumped out of Europe when they tried to be something they were not.

Even after 1999 this continued, and great credit is due to Ferguson for realising this, and for moulding a team that was not only good enough to win it's fair share of Premiership titles, but also was now good enough to play as a potent counter attacking team in Europe, built on solid defence and lightening counters.

Its a mark of a great manager that they can continue to evolve, and Ferguson has changed from the gung-ho teams of the 90s that couldn't play the patient game in Europe, to a team that is one of the real heavyweights in the CL. Fair play to him and to United, and I think they will do a number on Barca at Wembley.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 04, 2011, 10:01:25 PM
Credit where credit is due, and congratulations to United on reaching their 3rd European Cup final in 4 seasons. That's a record befitting a club, and a manager, that have finally stamped their name, along with that of Barca, all over Europe.

for too long Manchester United and Alex Ferguson doubted himself and their quality when they played in Europe, and I remember far better, in my opinion, United sides getting dumped out of Europe when they tried to be something they were not.

Even after 1999 this continued, and great credit is due to Ferguson for realising this, and for moulding a team that was not only good enough to win it's fair share of Premiership titles, but also was now good enough to play as a potent counter attacking team in Europe, built on solid defence and lightening counters.

Its a mark of a great manager that they can continue to evolve, and Ferguson has changed from the gung-ho teams of the 90s that couldn't play the patient game in Europe, to a team that is one of the real heavyweights in the CL. Fair play to him and to United, and I think they will do a number on Barca at Wembley.

Agree with all that except the bit in bold, Arsenal's midfield dominated on Sunday and Barca have a much better midfield than Arsenal can't see anything but a Barca win.
#newbridgeornowhere

Minder

I am not in any way on the wind up, but how does anyone see Utd having enough of the ball or indeed a strong enough midfield to win this game? "We have Fergie'' etc does not count as an answer.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

I think Barca can be frustrated. Chelsea did it to them, and Inter did it to them. I know Mourinho was involved in those, but I think if United play a back four of OShea, Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra, with a midfield featuring Park, Fletcher, Carrick and Nani, and a 1 and 1 of Rooney and Hernandez, I think they might just be able to hold Barcelona out, and then hit them either with a set piece or a breakway goal.

Having the likes of Giggs on the bench might be a decisive factor as well, if United are in the game with 20-25 minutes to go.

what they can't do, in my opinion, is allow Barcelona to score in the first 20 minutes. That will allow them to settle down.

I could see Barca with 60-65% of possession, but United winning 1 or 2 nil.

superblues

you only need the ball for 30 seconds to score a goal

new devil

I don't no were this  "having enough of the ball " shit is coming from....let Barca pass the ball about with nice little 3 yards passes....Everyone forgets we have the best back 5 in Europe and with Rooney and chicharto 2 strikers in great form....Ohh and we've got the best manger ever as well

ONeill

Hard to beat a great manger. A standard trough isn't the same.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gallsman

Quote from: new devil on May 04, 2011, 10:17:14 PM
I don't no were this  "having enough of the ball " shit is coming from....let Barca pass the ball about with nice little 3 yards passes....Everyone forgets we have the best back 5 in Europe and with Rooney and chicharto 2 strikers in great form....Ohh and we've got the best manger ever as well

worked pretty comprehensively two years ago. Ask Michael Carrick.

ross4life

I think i covered this before? scroll down for Uefa official possession from 2009 final http://en.archive.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/history/season=2009/round=15280/match=302813/report=st.html

If Barca get 60/70% possession in this final they will win & win well.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AZOffaly

Possession wasn;t the problem there ross. Look at the time of Eto'o's first goal. That;s the killer. If Barca go one up inside 20 minutes, then the possession makes you look silly as you start to panic and run around after it. If you keep them at 0-0, or even go 1 up, then suddenly you can stay nice and compact, and its up to them. All of a sudden 15-20 pass moves along the half way line don't really matter so much.

I'm not saying it's easy to defend against them, just that it can be done, and they can be upset by it. I think United are a team that might, on a given day, do that to them.

Barca nearly always have 60% of possession, even in games they lose. If United are level, or ahead at half time, I think they;ll win.

new devil

Sush ML that doesn't go down to well with the ABU'S "Barca are great United are shit policy"

I honestly think United will win it.. Barca are not the team people are making them out to be, great team yes but very beatable

Minder

Quote from: new devil on May 04, 2011, 10:28:15 PM
Sush ML that doesn't go down to well with the ABU'S "Barca are great United are shit policy"

I honestly think United will win it.. Barca are not the team people are making them out to be, great team yes but very beatable

Why have more teams not beaten them, what do you know that the rest of Europe doesent?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

new devil

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 04, 2011, 10:27:54 PM
Possession wasn;t the problem there ross. Look at the time of Eto'o's first goal. That;s the killer. If Barca go one up inside 20 minutes, then the possession makes you look silly as you start to panic and run around after it. If you keep them at 0-0, or even go 1 up, then suddenly you can stay nice and compact, and its up to them. All of a sudden 15-20 pass moves along the half way line don't really matter so much.

I'm not saying it's easy to defend against them, just that it can be done, and they can be upset by it. I think United are a team that might, on a given day, do that to them.

Barca nearly always have 60% of possession, even in games they lose. If United are level, or ahead at half time, I think they;ll win.

Yea and United were all over them in the 1st 10 mins and should of scored at least once..But once Barca got that early goal it seemed to take the life out of United
I think this United team is more balanced than the 2008 one!!

ross4life

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 04, 2011, 10:27:54 PM

True but Vidic needs better concentration than he had on that Eto goal.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: new devil on May 04, 2011, 09:56:32 PM
Team for the final?

Van Der Sar

Rafael
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Valencia
Carrick
Giggs
Park

Rooney

Chicharito

Fletcher may challenge for one of the midfield berths depending on how he performs between now and then. Otherwise I'd say you're spot on.

Not going to be fit to watch this one which spoils it somewhat personally. Didn't see tonight's game either I must admit. Perfect result though and let's hope there's a positive result on Sunday
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead