GAA Board Charity Bet

Started by AZOffaly, May 11, 2007, 09:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: bombidal on May 31, 2007, 10:05:24 PM

I've yet to see a bookie who will let me lay any side - plus there's no lodgement or withdrawal charge for laser/debit cards.  Agreed that liquidity isn't great most of the time, but for bigger games it works out grand.

the 15 quid you can have on the draw in the dublin meath game & the 121 quid on dublin at 1.45.... 1.5 with ladbrokes and no commision... really speaks volumes about gaa on betfair. ( im presuming the dublin meath game is a big one ).
Don't worry about the liquidity - if you put it on, it will be taken!!, there's only one price (that's antrim to win) on there at present that's worse than any price that paddypower is giving for sat/sun football games (even after commission has been deducted).  I know Ladbrokes often give better prices than powers anyway, and betfair doesn't appeal to most punters, but it certainly has it's place and I would never look past it for singles - it's especially generous for draw prices.

bombidal

Don't worry about the liquidity - if you put it on, it will be taken!!, there's only one price (that's antrim to win) on there at present that's worse than any price that paddypower is giving for sat/sun football games (even after commission has been deducted).  ,

both pts you make here are just not true.... I think Befair is great but in terms of Gaa punting it is useless.
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***

Lone Shark

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 31, 2007, 11:39:19 PM
Quote from: bombidal on May 31, 2007, 10:05:24 PM

I've yet to see a bookie who will let me lay any side - plus there's no lodgement or withdrawal charge for laser/debit cards.  Agreed that liquidity isn't great most of the time, but for bigger games it works out grand.

the 15 quid you can have on the draw in the dublin meath game & the 121 quid on dublin at 1.45.... 1.5 with ladbrokes and no commision... really speaks volumes about gaa on betfair. ( im presuming the dublin meath game is a big one ).
Don't worry about the liquidity - if you put it on, it will be taken!!, there's only one price (that's antrim to win) on there at present that's worse than any price that paddypower is giving for sat/sun football games (even after commission has been deducted).  I know Ladbrokes often give better prices than powers anyway, and betfair doesn't appeal to most punters, but it certainly has it's place and I would never look past it for singles - it's especially generous for draw prices.

Bogball I know I could be seen as a vested interest, but I'm strictly speaking as someone who likes a punt on the GAA myself, and Betfair is utterly useless. If you like betting in fivers and tenners it's not too bad, but anything beyond that and it's a waste of space. Saying something like "if you put it there it will be taken" is just plain wrong. As Bombidal said, best price in the bookies this weekend on Dublin is 1.5 - so in order to make it worth doing with Betfair, you'd have to get 4/7, or 1.57 - now do you think if I put in €2k at 1.57 it would be taken? And what do I do while I'm waiting for this? You don't know leaving the computer whether you have a bet or not. I'm pretty sure if that was your money you'd want a bit more certainty.

ONeill

Loneshark, do you do speculative All-Star odds? I'm not trying to be the funny guy, but what price, given the furore at the minute, would you give for Paddy Bradley?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lone Shark

I'll happily quote you. Truth be told the furore will make feck all difference if Derry make the quarter finals and Bradley's among the top three or four scorers, but even so....

5/1 I'll do for you. If that's of interest, feel free to pm or reply, whichever suits....

Lone Shark

Quote from: bombidal on May 31, 2007, 03:29:48 PM

Mythical Match Betting                           
   ( team to score the most )                           

11/8    Kerry                           
16/1    Draw                           
4/7    Cork                           

11/10   Dublin                           
12/1    draw                           
4/5    Laois                           

For the purposes of the charity bet, can I recommend the above? It's not way wrong, but I suspect it's a bit on the big side. If we take it that Dublin and Laois are both going to score at least 0-10 and unlikely to score more than 2-15, you have a range of 12 different scores either team can finish on. In all likelihood it'll be somewhere around the middle - in which case 12/1 will be on the big side. Arguably this is more likely than eitehr side to draw their own games. I estimate this to be about an 8/1 shot - like I said, not huge, but worth a small bet.

The same logic applies to the other game, but since the spread on potential scores is so much bigger against cannon fodder, I wouldn't recommend it as quickly.

Louth Exile

My recommendations for this week are as follows:
Longford (+3) 6/4
Meath (+3) 10/11
Derry (-5) Evens
Comes to about 8.5/1 Treble with Ladbrokes
Also with Ladbrokes, first goal scorer in Louth v Wicklow, Paddy Keenan is definitely worth a sporting fiver at odds of 33/1
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Lone Shark

This hasn't come up yet this week. Again, for what it's worth, my recommendation is Neville Coughlan for first goalscorer for Offaly against Carlow. Full PP market below. At 16/1 he's worth a decent nibble because (1) the danger from the two corner forwards will be well flagged, I've a sneaking suspicion Carlow will drop an extra full back on them to cover (2) PJ Ward is a useless plank who will only be there to hit high ball onto and couldn't score anyway (3) Neville is the only half forward who'll be coming onto the FF line at pace to take the layoff if the lads get out in front. He's not the most accurate in the world, but he does charge in for goals a lot - he actually scores nearly as many goals as points, though admittedly not many of either. I'd make him about an 8/1 shot or so (obviously Niall and Deehan are still the two favourites) but he's a live contender. Split the stake between first and last goalscorer to give it a chance.

N McNamee  4 - 1   No Goalscorer  15 - 2   B Kelly  8 - 1   
T Deehan  5 - 1     D Hayden  9 - 1   
PJ Ward  7 - 1     M Carpenter  10 - 1   
C McManus  12 - 1     P Reid  12 - 1   
P Kellaghan  16 - 1     D Byrne  16 - 1   
N Coughlan  16 - 1     K Nolan  28 - 1   
A McNamee  25 - 1     M Brennan  50 - 1   
N Smith  33 - 1     G Morrissey  50 - 1   
C Slattery  33 - 1     P Cashin  66 - 1   

Louth Exile

For what it is worth, here is my bet for the weekend - One up already anyway!!
Dublin (+6) 4/5
Derry (-4) 8/11
Limerick (+2) 6/5
Monaghan (+1) 8/11
Offaly 1/16
It comes to 11.5/1
The odds are from VC Bet (I would be one of the few that have an account with them her in ROI) but they are one shower of
B^&$$ds to ring a GAA bet in to!!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Hardy

Dublin + 5 at 11/10 with Boylesports combined with Down (11/10) and Tipp (1/2). Pays 11/2 if it hits. Good start anyway.

Louth Exile - I have a VC Bet account too, but I don't remember ever placing a GAA bet with them. I do it on line anyway. I suppose if it's just you and me over here they don't have a roomful of staff on it!

Louth Exile

Yahoo... the first accum up this year, bookies beware  :D

Quote from: Hardy on June 10, 2007, 12:32:53 PM
Louth Exile - I have a VC Bet account too, but I don't remember ever placing a GAA bet with them. I do it on line anyway. I suppose if it's just you and me over here they don't have a roomful of staff on it!

I am an awful man for pricing 4 or 5 bookies given not just the different odds but the different handicap points as well. I always hope there is another firm offering better bet than VC because they are torture. I use the net to pick out the bet but then proceed to ring the bet in. (I know it doesn't make a lot of sense! at least its a freephone number)
I rang the bet in about ten minutes before throw in with the Dublin yesterday and just about had it done before throw in!! The line I kept getting from your man was "I am not familiar with these sports is it soccer of rugby"  >:(      No I can see it on the net its down as f**king Gaelic games on your site, hurling and gaelic football (I didn't say that to him though)
Anyway, all is well that ends well given the account a nice wee boost  ;D Going to stick it all on Louth next Sunday ;)

Hardy

Good one! It's some going to get a 5-horse accum up.

Quote from: Louth Exile on June 10, 2007, 11:28:01 PM
Going to stick it all on Louth next Sunday ;)

I'd suggest putting it on Meath. The bookies and punters are unconvinced by last week, when we should have won by six points and we're still 2/1. Value or what, with our top scorer back, our stronger bench, our better management, our reliable free-taker (there will be frees, won't there?) and our freedom from head-wrecking pressure.

oakleafer

I think attention needs to be drawn to Lone Sharks last three bet tips!

First off the goals in the Westmeath/Longford game, then a 12/1 with the Draw for the dublin/laois mythical match and a 16/1 for the first goal of yesterdays Offaly/Carlow game! I can see why you are in the profession you are in - you clearly know your stuff. Well I took the first goal option yesterday....much obliged!

If you were to tell me you think Derry may win the All-Ireland now, you'd make me a very happy chappy!

Louth Exile

Quote from: Louth Exile on June 10, 2007, 11:28:01 PM
Going to stick it all on Louth next Sunday ;)

I'd suggest putting it on Meath. The bookies and punters are unconvinced by last week, when we should have won by six points and we're still 2/1. Value or what, with our top scorer back, our stronger bench, our better management, our reliable free-taker (there will be frees, won't there?) and our freedom from head-wrecking pressure.
[/quote]

One thing I won't be doing next weekend is including Louth in my bet, not that I don't think we can win, I do, but I find when I'm too close to the game its skews my judgement! If there are any kind of decent odds on something like Meath(+2) they will be in.

Well done lone shark on the first goal scorer, the rationale was sound as well (apart from Ward being a plank) he did score the goal by coming onto the FF line at pace and taking a lay off. You are in the right game, you know too much!!

Lone Shark

You'll notice that my outright odds on Derry tend to be on the bigger side. Read into that what you will......  ;)

I stand by my "Ward is a plank" observation. His eight or nine points yesterday came from a combined total of about 120 yards out, he missed two awful handy frees, including one 14m one at the corner of the penalty area, and his distribution is slow.

Suffice it to say that if Dublin/Meath decide to focus on the threat that Ward poses, instead of for arguments sake, a less high profile player like Niall McNamee ( ;)) I won't be too unhappy.