GAA Board Charity Bet

Started by AZOffaly, May 11, 2007, 09:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Hi Lads,

I had an idea yesterday for a bit of craic this summer which might also help a good cause or two. I always have a couple of small flutters on most of the championship matches during the summer, and I usually (touch wood) end up ahead by the end of the year. This year I've decided to bet on EVERY championship match, as long as I have funds to do so, and to give the balance at the end of the year to Charity. I think it's appropriate that this Charity would be the Cormac McAnallen trust and hopefully the Tony Griffen Cancer Cycle.

I have €100 in my PP account (Sorry LoneShark, but its handier to use in Ireland with Laser Cards), and will use that as our seed money to kickstart the season.

Now, what do I want ye to do?

I thought it might be a bit of craic to spread the responsibility a bit :D I'll post the championship fixtures I'm betting for the week in this thread, and will ask for everyone to respond with their predictions. Come 5 O'Clock this evening (and every Friday evening) I'll simply place a tenner on the most popular result. On Monday monday morning I'll update the running total and the results with any monies won.

(If anyone else wanted to do something similar, feel free, I won't be patenting the idea :), and as long as it goes to a worthwhile Charity we can feel good about partaking in the Devil's pastime (Sorry LoneShark)).

OK. Here we go. No pressure :D (All Odds Paddy Power Odds)

Opening Balance €100

Ulster SFC
Cavan (8/13) v Down (7/4) (Draw 13/2)

Leinster SFC
Longford (6/4) v Westmeath (8/11) (Draw 13/2)

Connacht SFC
New York (7/1) v Sligo (1/16) (Draw 14/1)

Uslter SHC
Antrim (1/33) v London (8/1) (Draw 20/1)

Derry (1/14) v Armagh (6/1) (Draw 18/1)

So that'll be €50 to bet this week.

Cheers

Lecale2

Stick the heap on an Antrim/Derry/Down Treble.

timmykelleher

Stick a tenner on New York.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

bombidal

Down, Longford Double , almost 6/1
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***

Norf Tyrone

Cavan
Westmeath
Sligo
Antrim
Derry...

Great idea AZ. Sure if it all goes wrong and the pot dries up, I'll wing in a few pound to top it up, and sure at the end of the year maybe we can all add a wee bit to make a good donation.

Fair play to you.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ONeill

Ulster SFC
Cavan (8/13) v Down (7/4) (Draw 13/2) - DRAW

Leinster SFC
Longford (6/4) v Westmeath (8/11) (Draw 13/2) - WESTMEATH

Connacht SFC
New York (7/1) v Sligo (1/16) (Draw 14/1) - SLIGO

Uslter SHC
Antrim (1/33) v London (8/1) (Draw 20/1) - ANTRIM

Derry (1/14) v Armagh (6/1) (Draw 18/1) - DERRY
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

full back

Reckon you should play it safe this weekend with a double
Cavan & Westmeath will get you a return of 138 for your 50 stake

Donagh

I wouldn't bet against Armagh or Cavan in these games. Dessie is back for Westmeath but I'd still fancy Longford to take them easily enough.

Cavan
Longford
Sligo
Antrim

Bogball XV

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 11, 2007, 09:36:37 AM

I have €100 in my PP account (Sorry LoneShark, but its handier to use in Ireland with Laser Cards), and will use that as our seed money to kickstart the season.
Ladbrokes also take laser.

Rossie11

Fair play AZ.. Will dig ya out with Norf Tyrone if things go belly up early..

Only bit of value this week are the draws in football. As Cavan were cat against us in league semi and Down cant be trusted any day I would side with the local derby in leinster.

Longford Westmeath draw gets my vote.
20euro @ 13/2

Wouldnt even bother with other games.

Candyman

Ulster SFC
Cavan (8/13) v Down (7/4) (Draw 13/2) - CAVAN

Leinster SFC
Longford (6/4) v Westmeath (8/11) (Draw 13/2) - WESTMEATH

Connacht SFC
New York (7/1) v Sligo (1/16) (Draw 14/1) - SLIGO

Uslter SHC
Antrim (1/33) v London (8/1) (Draw 20/1) - ANTRIM

Derry (1/14) v Armagh (6/1) (Draw 18/1) - DERRY

saffron sam2

Down / Cavan Draw & Longford double.  Pays out over 900 dabs, if successful.

The other three games could be tight enough and might be worth a punt on the handicap bet.

I'll start my own similar bet for the same charities.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Onlooker

I would suggest taking a chance on Longford & Down, as both are odds against and have at least a 50/50 chance.  The odds in the other 3 matches are too short for any bets.

AZOffaly

Cheers lads. Ye are making it hard on me to count the votes though. Between trebles and different amounts...

I just back each game straight on it's own merits, kind of as a test of prediction skill as well. I know some of the matches are no value, but if you get them right you don't lose money and march on.

I know it's not the best value or the most exciting, but things will heat up as the summer progresses.

So. I am doing 5 €10 bets (all singles) this weekend. I know I'm a boring aul sh1te.

I realise I didn't vote myself.

I think I'd be going for

Longford
Draw between Cavan and Down
Antrim
Derry
Sligo

(By the way, that's just MY vote, not the actual bets)

Hardy

I'd say Longford is the only value in that lot.