The Official 2016 Irish General Election thread

Started by deiseach, February 03, 2016, 11:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: mikehunt on February 21, 2016, 05:08:29 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 21, 2016, 03:08:11 PM
Any sense in Enda saying this about his own town people? http://www.thejournal.ie/enda-kenny-voters-whingers-hometown-2615710-Feb2016/
Only for Kenny FG would piss this election. They need rid. They have him told to keep his mouth shut in the debates and just bark out 'JOBS' from time to time. He doesn't always listen. The accidental taoiseach.

Absolutely - they'd be looking at a being close to a majority if they had a strong leader. Thankfully they have enda who continues to highlight how bad they actually are.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Nigel White

Quote from: Hardy on February 20, 2016, 08:41:09 PM
From RTÉ Radio 1 yesterday (author not credited):

Give a man a fish and he will eat today.
Teach him to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life.
Promise him someone else's fish and he'll vote Sinn Féin.
Wouldn't agree with that one. No point teaching him to fish without giving him the means to fish with. Seems SF are just trying to take a small amount of bait from those that have more than enough and give it to those who have none

From the Bunker

Quote from: Nigel White on February 21, 2016, 06:46:06 PM

Wouldn't agree with that one. No point teaching him to fish without giving him the means to fish with. Seems SF are just trying to take a small amount of bait from those that have more than enough and give it to those who have none

You mean the people who pay for nothing? I know there are legitimate cases. But feck there are a fair few taking the mick! Country people have been paying for water since the emergence of schemes. Many had to set up their own system at great cost. Now if I'm paying for water and a lad up the road living in town is not paying then how many times am I paying? Cos if he's not paying, and he's not paying tax, then the money has to be got from somewhere? Even if he is working, I'm still paying for all of mine and a fair portion of his.

Rossfan

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 21, 2016, 07:11:54 PM

You mean the people who pay for nothing? I know there are legitimate cases. But feck there are a fair few taking the mick! Country people have been paying for water since the emergence of schemes. Many had to set up their own system at great cost. Now if I'm paying for water and a lad up the road living in town is not paying then how many times am I paying? Cos if he's not paying, and he's not paying tax, then the money has to be got from somewhere? Even if he is working, I'm still paying for all of mine and a fair portion of his.

+1.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Nigel White

The key comment in your statement is 'I know there are legitimate cases' I assume you mean the low paid or those who lost their jobs as a result of the recession, who form a pretty big proportion of the  population but you are content to have them shafted just to ensure that the hangers on get hit.

mikehunt

But is that not what society is supposed to be about? Thise who can afford more should pay more.

From the Bunker

Quote from: mikehunt on February 21, 2016, 09:31:17 PM

But is that not what society is supposed to be about? Thise who can afford more should pay more.

Really, So by this you are encouraging people not to earn? Because the less you earn the less you pay for? Yes? In this sort of world we'd all head for a three day week and leave to rest to the real earners to pay for what we can't afford. Does this happen? Yes?

Nigel White

Holy God I can't believe what you've posted. So yo actually know people who choose to only work 3 days a week to avoid paying taxes?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 21, 2016, 09:37:53 PM

Really, So by this you are encouraging people not to earn? Because the less you earn the less you pay for? Yes? In this sort of world we'd all head for a three day week and leave to rest to the real earners to pay for what we can't afford. Does this happen? Yes?

I understand what you're saying, but there are people in low-paid jobs working more than 3 days per week.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 21, 2016, 09:58:19 PM

I understand what you're saying, but there are people in low-paid jobs working more than 3 days per week.

The other problem is people like myself not lowly paid and not well paid but expected to pay my way. I've no bother with that. The problem is where do you draw the line. You can't be expecting well paid people to fund all the expenses of the less well off. There has to be a pulling your own weight ethic?

seafoid

Water is shorthand for working class anger at being dumped on with a lot of the costs of the crash. 

mikehunt

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 21, 2016, 10:07:33 PM

The other problem is people like myself not lowly paid and not well paid but expected to pay my way. I've no bother with that. The problem is where do you draw the line. You can't be expecting well paid people to fund all the expenses of the less well off. There has to be a pulling your own weight ethic?
You make it sound like the country is full of welfare cheats. What about the rich who refuse to pay their way? Would your ire not be better directed in that direction? At least we can be sure they can afford it.

From the Bunker

Quote from: mikehunt on February 21, 2016, 11:18:19 PM

You make it sound like the country is full of welfare cheats. What about the rich who refuse to pay their way? Would your ire not be better directed in that direction? At least we can be sure they can afford it.

No, this is about paying ones way. And yes the country is full of welfare cheats! Don't be so blind to think otherwise! I understand the better paid giving a little more for to run society and keep the mechanics of a country going. But should we expect the well paid to carry the can for other individuals who don't pay their way? Why?

seafoid

FtB across the OECD the defining issue is income inequality.. Upper middle class and rich get pay rises and QE for their assets. Working class people have stagnating incomes. The problem is so big now that economic growth has basically stopped. Spreading the money around makes economic sense.

mikehunt

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 21, 2016, 11:28:07 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on February 21, 2016, 11:18:19 PM

No, this is about paying ones way. And yes the country is full of welfare cheats! Don't be so blind to think otherwise! I understand the better paid giving a little more for to run society and keep the mechanics of a country going. But should we expect the well paid to carry the can for other individuals who don't pay their way? Why?

When you say the country is full of welfare cheats what kind of percentages are you talking about? I hear there are numbers you can ring to tip off the authorities. There is a reward too so it could be a good nixer for you if the numbers are as high as you suggest. You could buy new boots to keep on the throat of the down-trodden and a new cap to doff to the rich.