Jamie Clarke,the GAA's answer to Stephen Ireland?

Started by T Fearon, January 05, 2016, 09:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: BennyCake on January 07, 2016, 11:20:46 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 07, 2016, 11:03:18 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 07, 2016, 10:55:09 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 07, 2016, 09:58:19 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 07, 2016, 09:56:01 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say clarke is up there with the best of the best however...

The modern game is very different. If teams have one marquee forward systems are put in place to counteract them along with double marking etc. You put a system in place for brogan and connolly gets you or vice versa and the same goes for other combinations of dublin forwards as there are so many if them.

These systems aren't as prevalent or well executed in leinster in general either. In ulster however they are rife.

In summary if you are from a poorer team these days, even if you are outstanding, it is harder to stand out...

I disagree. There are outstanding players on so called weaker counties standing out every year.
Name them just so I can compare them to Jamie Clarke.

Seamus Quigley is one from 2015

That was Sean.

Near enough (chuckles to myself)
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Throw ball

Quote from: INDIANA on January 07, 2016, 09:45:48 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on January 07, 2016, 09:06:23 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 07, 2016, 07:32:54 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 07, 2016, 06:03:34 PM
This thread reminds me of Russell Crowe in Gladiator growling at the crowd "are you not entertained?!!"

Is that what Clarke is, a slave who's life should be lived and conducted at the beck and call of the GAA and its supporters?

The man owes NO ONE outside of his family and friends any explanation or justification.

Agreed it's just that people shouldn't pretend he's a great player because he isn't. He's achieved nothing to be considered in that bracket.

Entitled to do whatever he wants like any man but he's not entitled to think he can be considered anything but an average player at county level

There have been many great players who because of were they where born never achieved anything at county level. There are even more average players who because of were they where born achieved a great deal.

Rubbish- the likes of Kevin O Brien, Spike Fagan, Mickey Quinn and others achieved greatness because they were great. Jamie Clarke isn't. He's had no career at county level worth talking about- how many games has he ever dominated at county level? Count them on one hand.
He's a good club player like a lot of people on this board. That's all. Cross have built a myth up about him - not anywhere near even one of thier great players IMO. It's his perogative what way he wants to live his life.

I don't agree with the monastic existence at county level evident in some counties but he's never played to any standard at county level on a consistent basis to be considered a top players. I'm constantly amazed by the level of new coverage each new departure gets

To be fair if you do not enjoy watching Jamie Clarke play football you must not enjoy football. The pity is that he should now be in the prime of his career and we are denied watching him play. It is our loss. But like all of us he is entitled to live his life as he sees fit and good luck to him

Orchard Officer

The hope from a Crossmaglen perspective, I would assume, is that the outlay they made to get him home for the Ulster championship will be enough to retain his services for the All Ireland run.

armaghniac

Quotealso has he not got back to back All Ireland Clubs (and MOTM in one of those as well iirc) as well as 5 Ulster Club Championship

So does a significant proportion of the male population of Cross!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

This thread reminds me of Russell Crowe in Gladiator growling at the crowd "are you not entertained?!!"

Is that what Clarke is, a slave who's life should be lived and conducted at the beck and call of the GAA and its supporters?

The man owes NO ONE outside of his family and friends any explanation or justification.

Agreed it's just that people shouldn't pretend he's a great player because he isn't. He's achieved nothing to be considered in that bracket.

Entitled to do whatever he wants like any man but he's not entitled to think he can be considered anything but an average player at county level

You've changed your mind then Indiana? :P

(Your previously expressed admiration for him had stuck in my mind for some reason)

Quote from: INDIANA on July 19, 2014, 08:54:09 PM
Quote from: JP on July 19, 2014, 08:51:45 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 19, 2014, 08:45:45 PM
Good grief that was awful viewing. Both sides decided to play like Cavan.

Thank God for Jamie Clarke and Andy Mallon. Only reason for tuning in.

Roscommon flatter to deceive yet again.

Yes both teams decided to play like Cavan. Lets ignore the facts that Armagh scored 1-17 against the same oppostion that Cavan scored 5 points, and that Roscomman posted a respectable tally. Would suit your argument better heh?

Cavan don't have Jamie Clarke. He was the difference as he always is for Armagh.

Like one wonders where you'd be without him.

He has the awful misfortune to be born in an era where he has only average individuals around him.

Had he been around in 2003-2008 you'd have won another 2 all-irelands at least

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on January 08, 2016, 02:25:00 AM

(Your previously expressed admiration for him had stuck in my mind for some reason)

Yes both teams decided to play like Cavan. Lets ignore the facts that Armagh scored 1-17 against the same oppostion that Cavan scored 5 points, and that Roscomman posted a respectable tally. Would suit your argument better heh?

Cavan don't have Jamie Clarke. He was the difference as he always is for Armagh.

He has the awful misfortune to be born in an era where he has only average individuals around him.

;D
Ah Good old Indie, inconsistent memory to back up his hypothetical delusions are his speciality.

Sure SON made the difference between Tyrone and Dublin in 08 as well apparently.

Its all irrelevant anyway tho with his AI medals ::) . But he does appear to have similar outraged delusions as Charlie Redmond so whos to say but maybe its a Dub thing.

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/charlie-redmond-rages-at-biased-coverage-of-cillian-oconnors-actions/307267

No wides

A 7 page thread because a young man, who has given huge commitment to the GAA over the years and who owes Armagh in particular absolutely nothing, decides to live a little.  The originator of this thread I bet has never played GAA at any sort of level or had a son bust his balls 6 days a week for dogs abuse and a handful of matches, this thread should be closed and those slating a man playing an amateur sport, or sorry deciding not to play it should be ashamed.  I know of many county men who have quit this year for a variety of reasons are we going to start a thread about each of this, this sort of personal abuse is disgusting and harmful to individuals, whilst their is no issue discussing anyone's football ability questioning them as an individual and what they do with their life id pathetic, this thread should be deleted.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Orchard Officer on January 08, 2016, 12:43:58 AM

The hope from a Crossmaglen perspective, I would assume, is that the outlay they made to get him home for the Ulster championship will be enough to retain his services for the All Ireland run.

He has already said he will be staying as did McGeeney. Indiana once again being called out for the bluffer that he is. Back to counting your imaginary medals and reminiscing about playing in front of all those big crowds!

Applesisapples

Quote from: general_lee on January 06, 2016, 09:23:44 AM
Jamie is a maverick. He has it in his personality. He likes to travel and drink coffee. Wear nice clothes and pose for Instagram. Visit art museums. Live a relaxed lifestyle. These aren't things you can enjoy if you're stuck training for a 1st round qualifier with Wicklow. I can't help thinking if it wasn't for the setup at Crossmaglen and the tightness those boys have he might have jacked football in altogether by now.

He has more ability in his wee toe than I ever have in my whole body and if he wants to travel then who or what is to stop him. As a follow of Armagh I'm disappointed. He hasn't been at his best in more recent times but still had a massive amount to offer. It's a great shame but I can't help but get the impression that he isn't convinced by the set up in Armagh at the minute. I wouldn't run the fella down too much for making the decision, like others I just think it's a huge shame.
Spot on

Franko

Quote from: J70 on January 08, 2016, 02:25:00 AM

Oh dear.  Indiana's having a bad time on the board of late.

deiseach

Quote from: No wides on January 08, 2016, 08:01:43 AM
A 7 page thread because a young man, who has given huge commitment to the GAA over the years and who owes Armagh in particular absolutely nothing, decides to live a little.  The originator of this thread I bet has never played GAA at any sort of level or had a son bust his balls 6 days a week for dogs abuse and a handful of matches, this thread should be closed and those slating a man playing an amateur sport, or sorry deciding not to play it should be ashamed.  I know of many county men who have quit this year for a variety of reasons are we going to start a thread about each of this, this sort of personal abuse is disgusting and harmful to individuals, whilst their is no issue discussing anyone's football ability questioning them as an individual and what they do with their life id pathetic, this thread should be deleted.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on January 06, 2016, 05:46:10 PM
Well if Oisin,Mc Geeney,and Marsden (or anyone else in that great team) had decided to go wandering in the summer of 2002, would Sam have come to Armagh? Jamie will be a young man still when he retires and will have plenty of time for wandering then.Meanwhile I cannot fathom any Gael approving of arguably their County's best player in his prime years,forsaking a season in the County colours to go on an extended holiday? In fact I cannot think of any other high profile player who has done this (those who emigrated to Australia for professional careers,or the USA for work,which is understandable to a certain extent, excepted).

But BC hit the nail on the head,the lad is a glory hunter and perceives that Armagh have no chance of doing anything this summer.How demoralising this must be for his manager and county team mates,never mind the supporters
Tony you are getting to the stage where even St Luke's wouldn't take you. Armagh are at the stage where there are better players opting to have a life rather than commit to the drudgery McGeeney is visiting on the county panel. Read Benny T in the IN today it would appear Joe Brolly is not a lone voice. It is time to get some joy back into County football, both for players and spectators.

Applesisapples

There are two players now departed the Armagh squad that it has been my privilege to see playing for both club and county, both at superb in their respective positions. Aaron Kernan and Jamie Clarke, neither committing to county and I'd say geezer is the issue with his demands. IMO Geezer is making the mistake of believing that every player should work and train like he did, some don't need to.

StGallsGAA

He has already said he will be staying as did McGeeney. Indiana once again being called out for the bluffer that he is. Back to counting your imaginary medals and reminiscing about playing in front of all those big crowds!

Like Pillar the closest he's probably got to AI success was shaking Mickey Harte's hand after the match. 😊

armaghniac

Quote from: Orchard Officer on January 08, 2016, 12:43:58 AM

Yes, he played a major part in the Ulster championship!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B