Jamie Clarke,the GAA's answer to Stephen Ireland?

Started by T Fearon, January 05, 2016, 09:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Quote from: INDIANA on January 07, 2016, 07:32:54 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 07, 2016, 06:03:34 PM
This thread reminds me of Russell Crowe in Gladiator growling at the crowd "are you not entertained?!!"

Is that what Clarke is, a slave who's life should be lived and conducted at the beck and call of the GAA and its supporters?

The man owes NO ONE outside of his family and friends any explanation or justification.

Agreed it's just that people shouldn't pretend he's a great player because he isn't. He's achieved nothing to be considered in that bracket.

Entitled to do whatever he wants like any man but he's not entitled to think he can be considered anything but an average player at county level
He's hardly f**king average there wouldn't be a thread on him otherwise

Throw ball

This thread reminds me of Russell Crowe in Gladiator growling at the crowd "are you not entertained?!!"

Is that what Clarke is, a slave who's life should be lived and conducted at the beck and call of the GAA and its supporters?

The man owes NO ONE outside of his family and friends any explanation or justification.

Agreed it's just that people shouldn't pretend he's a great player because he isn't. He's achieved nothing to be considered in that bracket.

Entitled to do whatever he wants like any man but he's not entitled to think he can be considered anything but an average player at county level

There have been many great players who because of were they where born never achieved anything at county level. There are even more average players who because of were they where born achieved a great deal.

T Fearon

This is akin to Roy Keane departing from Saipan.I didn't hear then that he was burnt out after a hard club season or he has the right to take or leave the World Cup.No it was rightly called letting your country and team mates down

INDIANA

Quote from: Throw ball on January 07, 2016, 09:06:23 PM

There have been many great players who because of were they where born never achieved anything at county level. There are even more average players who because of were they where born achieved a great deal.

Rubbish- the likes of Kevin O Brien, Spike Fagan, Mickey Quinn and others achieved greatness because they were great. Jamie Clarke isn't. He's had no career at county level worth talking about- how many games has he ever dominated at county level? Count them on one hand.
He's a good club player like a lot of people on this board. That's all. Cross have built a myth up about him - not anywhere near even one of thier great players IMO. It's his perogative what way he wants to live his life.

I don't agree with the monastic existence at county level evident in some counties but he's never played to any standard at county level on a consistent basis to be considered a top players. I'm constantly amazed by the level of new coverage each new departure gets

imtommygunn

I wouldn't necessarily say clarke is up there with the best of the best however...

The modern game is very different. If teams have one marquee forward systems are put in place to counteract them along with double marking etc. You put a system in place for brogan and connolly gets you or vice versa and the same goes for other combinations of dublin forwards as there are so many if them.

These systems aren't as prevalent or well executed in leinster in general either. In ulster however they are rife.

In summary if you are from a poorer team these days, even if you are outstanding, it is harder to stand out...

INDIANA

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 07, 2016, 09:56:01 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say clarke is up there with the best of the best however...

The modern game is very different. If teams have one marquee forward systems are put in place to counteract them along with double marking etc. You put a system in place for brogan and connolly gets you or vice versa and the same goes for other combinations of dublin forwards as there are so many if them.

These systems aren't as prevalent or well executed in leinster in general either. In ulster however they are rife.

In summary if you are from a poorer team these days, even if you are outstanding, it is harder to stand out...

I disagree. There are outstanding players on so called weaker counties standing out every year.

BennyCake

I don't recall Rory O'Carroll getting as much stick on his thread. Why is it ok for him and not for Clarke?

INDIANA

Quote from: BennyCake on January 07, 2016, 10:10:48 PM
I don't recall Rory O'Carroll getting as much stick on his thread. Why is it ok for him and not for Clarke?

Because Rory's position in the pantheon of great players is secure.

Jamie like the rest of us can only wonder what it's like to achieve greatness.

From the Bunker

It's ok for both to go swanning off! Why? Because they are free agents. They do have any contracts to the GAA, never had! That's the beauty of being Amateur. Just because you are a good player or more wanted by your county means nothing if you don't want to commit. It's gas how the GAA community think they own these players and that the player should be grateful to sacrifice their youth for the cause.

INDIANA

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 07, 2016, 10:38:41 PM

It's ok for both to go swanning off! Why? Because they are free agents. They do have any contracts to the GAA, never had! That's the beauty of being Amateur. Just because you are a good player or more wanted by your county means nothing if you don't want to commit. It's gas how the GAA community think they own these players and that the player should be grateful to sacrifice their youth for the cause.

Nobody owns them and I think it's very good for players to have a broad experience of life. That's not what the question was. Mine is why is it a news story at all?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: INDIANA on January 07, 2016, 09:58:19 PM

I disagree. There are outstanding players on so called weaker counties standing out every year.
Name them just so I can compare them to Jamie Clarke.

INDIANA

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 07, 2016, 10:55:09 PM

Seamus Quigley is one from 2015

BennyCake

Quote from: INDIANA on January 07, 2016, 11:03:18 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 07, 2016, 10:55:09 PM

Seamus Quigley is one from 2015

That was Sean.

screenexile

Where did he say he thinks he's better than an average player??

Also has he not got back to back All Ireland Clubs (and MOTM in one of those as well iirc) as well as 5 Ulster Club Championships!

He's achieved plenty and is an excellent player. Just because his county are not going well and he doesn't want to play for them doesn't mean he's lacking talent!!

Wildweasel74

Is O`Carroll not away to New Zealand for a job opportunity? Clarke away travelling?

Clarke is a very good player but doesn't get the chance to show it at county level as Armagh have no other forwards meaning teams focus on closing down the 1 man. Have yet to see a player yet that can play with 2 men marking him, though i did see Colm O`Rourke have a stormer when Skryne played Eire Og of Carlow with 3 men hanging off him most of the game 20 odd years ago, they still lost though!