Rugby world cup 2015

Started by rrhf, September 13, 2015, 09:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stall the Bailer

Who would be on the bench, the replacements yesterday played their part, I'm sure it will be the same in future games.

AZOffaly

The front row bench will be the same I'd say, McGrath, Strauss and White. Luke Fitzgerald, Reddan, Madigan if Sexton is playing, Jackson if he's not, Ryan if O'Brien is playing, maybe Jordi Murphy if he's not, and maybe Trimble/Earls?

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 12, 2015, 11:14:53 AM
They should be able for Argentina without Sean O'Brien, if Sexton can play. If Madigan starts I'd be worried.

You're still looking at (probably)

Healy
Best
Ross

Toner
Henderson

Henry
O'Brien or Ryan 6 Henry 7

Murray
Sexton/Madigan

Bowe
Henshaw
Earls / Trimble if he's flown in
D Kearney

R Kearney

That side should be able to beat Argentina.

Heaslip will obviously start and I would say Henderson 6 and Ryan at lock.
MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

O'Mahony now confirmed as out with knee ligament injury. So at a minimum, Payne O'Mahony and O'Connell needing replaced!

A bit of patching up to be done for the Puma game.

AZOffaly

Yeah, possibly. There's a bit of versatility there with Ryan and Henderson. But Henderson has been brilliant in the second row, I'd be inclined to leave him alone :)

screenexile

Who comes in? Trimble, Tuohy and Ruddock maybe?

Special mention for Devin Toner yesterday I thought that was his best game in an Ireland shirt he caused havoc at lineout, defended well and carried well. I was skeptical about him starting ahead of Henderson but he was well worth his place.

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 12, 2015, 11:31:31 AM
Yeah, possibly. There's a bit of versatility there with Ryan and Henderson. But Henderson has been brilliant in the second row, I'd be inclined to leave him alone :)

Bizarredly Js said he was a backrow replacement if POC had not been injured.

A back 5 in the pack of Toner, Ryan, Henderson, Jordi, Henry and Heaslip will not beat Argentina in my view

Better hope SOB gets off

AZOffaly

That would be 6 players, so we'd have a good chance :) I know what you're saying, and it won't be easy, but Argentina have not been great in this tournament either, and I think Ireland would have enough, even with a back 5 pack of say Ryan, Toner, Henderson, Henry, Heaslip.

Now a semi final against Australia? Fuggedabaddit. O'Brien would be back in that scenario, but that's where I think our new lack of depth would be exposed.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 12, 2015, 12:11:26 PM
That would be 6 players, so we'd have a good chance :) I know what you're saying, and it won't be easy, but Argentina have not been great in this tournament either, and I think Ireland would have enough, even with a back 5 pack of say Ryan, Toner, Henderson, Henry, Heaslip.

Now a semi final against Australia? Fuggedabaddit. O'Brien would be back in that scenario, but that's where I think our new lack of depth would be exposed.

Definitely would need Sexton for that one. He can get to his opposite number and we would need that very badly with Foley in the form he is in.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 12, 2015, 12:11:26 PM

Argentina have been fantastic AZ. Have you watched them at all?

Nearly beat the best team in the first game. Topping the charts in rucks hit, tries scored etc.

Georgia and Tonga are ranked higher then Canada and Romania let's not forget.

They had one softer game then we had.

2/1 phenomenal odds

AZOffaly

Watched a bit of Argentina. Didn't think they were that impressive against Georgia or Tonga.Against the All Black, you'd expect a performance. They are playing them every year now, twice, and it was the first game of the tournament when New Zealand would only be getting going.

Ireland have been ramping up, the fixtures have fallen lovely for them, and the second half against France was their best so far. Anything near that level will beat Argentina.

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 12, 2015, 12:37:47 PM
Watched a bit of Argentina. Didn't think they were that impressive against Georgia or Tonga.Against the All Black, you'd expect a performance. They are playing them every year now, twice, and it was the first game of the tournament when New Zealand would only be getting going.

Ireland have been ramping up, the fixtures have fallen lovely for them, and the second half against France was their best so far. Anything near that level will beat Argentina.

Just have to disagree I think we're going to lose on Sunday

Sanchez- Hernandez- Bosch with Imoff in the back 3 is a much better backline then ours in my opinion

With the two pack leaders gone and possibly SOB it's going to be very difficult. They'll pick Madigan off as well and force him to start thinking which is never a good thing and he's an instinctive player and not a thinker

Its very easy to see reading the media today that

a) They don't watch the Rugby Championship

b) Haven't watched the WC to date

c) Have no idea what clubs the Argentina players play for

I think if Sexton plays we'll eke a narrow in. If he doesn't we'll lose in my view

AZOffaly

I think you're doing a Dublin v Mayo, and Dublin v Kerry on it. When Ireland win, maybe with Sean O'Brien getting off beforehand, you'll be on uar.com.ar telling all the Argentinian lads that we own them, and they don't have any natural backs :)

The Trap

Indiana.....if I told you at 3pm yesterday that we would be winning 9-6 at ht but that Sexton and O'Connell had been taken off injured would your view have been that we would have won 24-9?

The game between Argentina and Ireland could go either way. Events will happen before the game and during the game that will swing it one way or another. The beauty of sport is that we don't know what way a game like this will unfold.

I found my support for the team increasing with every injury blow they took and I have to say I was really proud of them yesterday. I cant wait for Sunday and hope that the support for the team will grow to an even higher crescendo both inside and outside the stadium.

NAG1

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 12, 2015, 12:56:28 PM
I think you're doing a Dublin v Mayo, and Dublin v Kerry on it. When Ireland win, maybe with Sean O'Brien getting off beforehand, you'll be on uar.com.ar telling all the Argentinian lads that we own them, and they don't have any natural backs :)

There wouldnt be the same apprehension from the players going into this game, so even the replacements who come in will think that Ireland should be winning this game. That should mean a positive attitude from the players and hopefully a winning one.

Be a very tough ask and again will be a tough brutal encounter, serious hits flying in in these games. Unfortunately it will be the lack of back up (of sufficient standard) that could be Ireland's undoing in this tournament.