Rugby world cup 2015

Started by rrhf, September 13, 2015, 09:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

I can't see complacency creeping into this squad after Wales 11 and Argentina themselves in 07. We're a better side than Argentina and with a better coach to boot. I'd be confident we'll finally make the last four. Then we'll have to assess what players are even available to us and if we can take the next step.

ballinaman

Tough to watch that O'Connell injury, looked like a hamstring tendon off the bone. Surgery, he'll do well to play again at his age.

Pub Bore

Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2015, 08:44:40 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 11, 2015, 07:51:21 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 11, 2015, 07:42:59 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 11, 2015, 07:36:27 PM
Argies by 10 next week. We'd be doing well to beat them with a full whack.

Sanchez and Hernandez are a different kettle of fish to Flaky Freddie and Fatsteauraud.

O Brien is a very silly boy I'm afraid

You're infected with stage 4 negativity. Argentina aren't as good as France, no matter what way you add it up, and Ireland battered France tonight.

Em Argentina beat France in paris last november. They are miles better.

That's the worst French team I've ever seen in my life. PSA should have been sacked pre -tournament. Just watch the AB's carve them to pieces next Saturday

Hernandez is 33 now.

Henshaw the obvious star of the four centres that will start. Exceptional today.

So is Wes Hoolahan...and we all know he is a genuis.

Canalman

Anyone who uses the term "Argies" goes down in my estimation (for what it is worth).

Bingo

O'Mahony out of rest of world cup. Big miss with other potential injuries and suspensions.

screenexile

Quote from: Canalman on October 12, 2015, 09:52:21 AM
Anyone who uses the term "Argies" goes down in my estimation (for what it is worth).

I'm devastated . . .

screenexile

Brezzie touting it on Twitter that O'Connell has torn the hamstring off the bone and is in serious pain. Horrible injury!

Unfortunate for O'Mahony to miss out as well that's 2 big leaders gone. However Henderson and Henry have the experience now and can do a job as replacements.

Sexton and O'Brien missing would be a bigger calamity I feel. We could maybe get past Argentina without O'Brien but I don't think we'd beat Australia without him and definitely not without Sexton.

AZOffaly

I thought O'Mahony was near man of the match before he got injured. He's going to be a big loss, but as said above, Henry and Henderson can provide top cover for Paulie and O'Mahony.

Sexton will need to come back in, and Sean O'Brien needs to stay fit, but more importantly, we need lads to step up like they did yesterday and drive it forward. Heaslip, O'Brien, Henderson, Murray, Toner, Best, Kearney, Henshaw.

We're suddenly gone quite thin though for depth. Will replacements be flown out? Any word on who they might be? Leinster have barely any players left :)

johnneycool

Quote from: tiempo on October 11, 2015, 07:35:32 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on October 11, 2015, 07:03:42 PM
Anyone seen the clip of O'Brien tagging the French guy in the gut? Bound to be cited for that, no?

It was a yellow card offence, be a total joke if he is cited and banned

Considering the Aussie lad got cited for dropping the shoulder into a ruck I really can't see O'Brien escape the citing official and get the one match ban mores the pity.

Strange as it seems but the introduction of Madigan and Henderson swung the game in Irelands favour, both were immense when introduced.

Madigan isn't as controlled or as disciplined as Sexton and the French hadn't a notion what he was going to do when he'd the ball and he kept them on their toes. He certainly upped the tempo on his introduction, but he's only one wild pass away from something mad and luckily his moment of madness yesterday went unpunished.
He reminds me of that Carlos Spencer lad who ended up playing second fiddle to Andrew Mehrtens, a less flamboyant outhalf for the All Blacks, his type are a coaches nightmare I'm sure.
As for Sexton, for all his undoubted ability its looking like he just hasn't got the physique for a long career in rugby, he's just not able to ship the big hits coming down on him.

Can't see O'Connell back in an Irish jersey again I'm afraid. A hamstring injury like that on a player his age would take months to heal and rehab. He's a lot to be proud off and has left a team well capable of leading themselves with Rory Best, Heaslip, Kearney (Robb) seemingly taking up the mantel yesterday. A sign of a good, well drilled unit.

Cian Healy is still a bit of a disappointment so far in this tournament, maybe still ring rusty after the long injury spell, but he'll need a vast improvement for the Pumas who will be no pushover and the team will need to dig deep to get the result, but there does seem to be something more resilient in the group that hasn't been seen in a good while, long may that continue.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: moysider on October 11, 2015, 07:14:42 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 11, 2015, 07:04:41 PM
Anyone seen the clip of O'Brien tagging the French guy in the gut? Bound to be cited for that, no?

Probably. It looked like an open hand, but this isn't the GAA disciplinary system we are talking about.

At least one match I d say. Worst case scenario his World Cup is over.
Really?
would it have been any more than a yellow card offense if the ref had seen it?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

dferg

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 12, 2015, 10:54:09 AM

Probably. It looked like an open hand, but this isn't the GAA disciplinary system we are talking about.

Really?

I wonder did below have anything to do with Pape getting a dig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaO0v7435fs

Bord na Mona man

Any of these injuries in isolation can be worked around, but now we're looking at big disruption.
Madigan and Henderson did well yesterday because the game suited them, fast and open. What's required for Argentina might be much tighter with more surgical kicking required.

Mayo4Sam

Muldoon will be dusting down the Ireland jersey at this rate!

Rudduck you'd imagine anyway
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

NAG1

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 12, 2015, 10:54:09 AM

Really?

Going by previous suspensions in this tournament I would say he looking at a game ban. Bad news for the team.

AZOffaly

They should be able for Argentina without Sean O'Brien, if Sexton can play. If Madigan starts I'd be worried.

You're still looking at (probably)

Healy
Best
Ross

Toner
Henderson

Henry
O'Brien or Ryan 6 Henry 7

Murray
Sexton/Madigan

Bowe
Henshaw
Earls / Trimble if he's flown in
D Kearney

R Kearney

That side should be able to beat Argentina.