journalists trying to influence/lobby rule makers and disciplinary procedures.

Started by rrhf, August 11, 2015, 09:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Quote from: JoG2 on August 12, 2015, 11:30:53 AM
Quote from: tc_manchester on August 12, 2015, 11:16:02 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 10:50:28 AM
Quote from: doodaa on August 12, 2015, 09:53:08 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2015, 09:32:34 AM
Quote from: doodaa on August 12, 2015, 09:29:50 AM
Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread but this 8 week ban is probably very harsh considering, as other people have pointed out, that there was no action against Michael Shields in the Munster Final.

HOWEVER, I think most GAA supporters would agree that this diving/ simulation/ trying to get people sent off is a blight on the game.
A strong message needs sent out to try and eradicate it so its probably something that needs to happen.

It is unfortunate for Tyrone that its their man that has been highlighted.
It was highlighted about Michael Shields weeks ago but no action was taken.
Had an 8 week ban been handed out then to Shields, McCann may not have considered diving for fear of retribution and this hoohaa surrounding it wouldn't be taking place.

Some county was going to suffer the consequences of this eventually as the GAA weren't going to let this happen indefinitely.
Tyrone are the unfortunate ones.
But why should Shields have got an 8 week ban for a yellow card offence?

Fair point.
Should it be more than a yellow card offence for there to be an effective way of removing these actions from our game?

But Cavanaugh took a dive when he got a tip in the belly from McManus. Is that worthy of a ban too? There was more contact than McCann got, but no less of a dive. Where does the line get drawn?
But to be honest, that's all irrelevant. It does not matter what any individual thinks should be the punishment, all that matters is that the rulebook states that feigning injury is a yellow card offence.

I've no problem with McCann being embarrassed, and every single diver / injury feigner on their team having their manliness being called into question - but banning any of them for it is just ridiculous!

This case really winds me up - Cavanaugh is well to the side from where McManus is running - Mc Manus moves towards him with his elbow jutting out and bangs into him. Cavanaugh falls down. He didn't instigate the incident and somehow it's his fault for falling down. If McManus had breezed past him, never touching him and Cavanaugh had fallen down then yes accuse him of cheating but this is ridiculous.

Cavanagh feigned injury (cheating)at least twice in the match resulting in no football being played (you know, the reason everyone tunes in) for about 4/5 mins...you're trying to defend the indefensible, the man is a serial offender

Could you stick up some video of this. I was at the game so did not have the advantage of TV coverage so would be interested to see it..

Hardy

1. Consistency is desirable. (But to suggest that absolute consistency is possible is laughable.)
2. The fact that TSG is allowed to be the biggest influence on the disciplinary procedures of the GAA is indefensible. 
3. Diving (either to get a free or to simulate injury, but the latter twice as much as the former) is unacceptable and doing something effective to stop it is imperative. This, if it sticks is, I'd say the most effective measure that could have been taken and even more so because of the frenzy of publicity. Even if it doesn't stick, I don't think the next potential diver will say to himself, "I'll just have a little flop down here because the DRA says it's OK".

So, balancing all considerations, a good day for the game.

AZOffaly

I disagree. Any time an association is seen to be making up inconsistent punishments to placate a media or social media frenzy is a bad day for the game. Deal with it properly and I'm fully on board.

JoG2

Quote from: GJL on August 12, 2015, 11:54:00 AM
Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread but this 8 week ban is probably very harsh considering, as other people have pointed out, that there was no action against Michael Shields in the Munster Final.

HOWEVER, I think most GAA supporters would agree that this diving/ simulation/ trying to get people sent off is a blight on the game.
A strong message needs sent out to try and eradicate it so its probably something that needs to happen.

Had an 8 week ban been handed out then to Shields, McCann may not have considered diving for fear of retribution and this hoohaa surrounding it wouldn't be taking place.

Some county was going to suffer the consequences of this eventually as the GAA weren't going to let this happen indefinitely.

Fair point.
Should it be more than a yellow card offence for there to be an effective way of removing these actions from our game?

But Cavanaugh took a dive when he got a tip in the belly from McManus. Is that worthy of a ban too? There was more contact than McCann got, but no less of a dive. Where does the line get drawn?
But to be honest, that's all irrelevant. It does not matter what any individual thinks should be the punishment, all that matters is that the rulebook states that feigning injury is a yellow card offence.

I've no problem with McCann being embarrassed, and every single diver / injury feigner on their team having their manliness being called into question - but banning any of them for it is just ridiculous!

This case really winds me up - Cavanaugh is well to the side from where McManus is running - Mc Manus moves towards him with his elbow jutting out and bangs into him. Cavanaugh falls down. He didn't instigate the incident and somehow it's his fault for falling down. If McManus had breezed past him, never touching him and Cavanaugh had fallen down then yes accuse him of cheating but this is ridiculous.

Cavanagh feigned injury (cheating)at least twice in the match resulting in no football being played (you know, the reason everyone tunes in) for about 4/5 mins...you're trying to defend the indefensible, the man is a serial offender

Could you stick up some video of this. I was at the game so did not have the advantage of TV coverage so would be interested to see it..

no. you'll have to take my good word for it or someone you know must have sky + . Be warned, watching Sean Cavanagh pretend he's injured isn't very exciting

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 12:00:31 PM
I disagree. Any time an association is seen to be making up inconsistent punishments to placate a media or social media frenzy is a bad day for the game. Deal with it properly and I'm fully on board.

A reasonable position, but in this case, in the battle between proper and effective, I'm for effective. This will get the message out.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2015, 12:04:18 PM

A reasonable position, but in this case, in the battle between proper and effective, I'm for effective. This will get the message out.

What message though? I think the message it gets out is 'We're sick of Tyrone'. That's wrong.

muppet

I propose the following law regarding the field of GAA:

Every overreaction has an equal and opposite overreaction.

The expanded version would be:

The pressure (P) hysterically applied, multiplied by the numbers of high profile people (I) applying it,  is equal to the level of daftness (s) of the subsequent response (S), and nothing is ever constant.

Or PI=sS

What should I call it?

McCann's Maxim.
CCCC Dictum?
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 12:05:00 PM

What message though? I think the message it gets out is 'We're sick of Tyrone'. That's wrong.

What's wrong with it? We are sick of them.

Seriously, I think the message is, 'we're sick of diving'. I think everybody other than the Tyrone whinge chorus here laughs at  the "Southern media/Southern GAA/free state bastards out to get us" nonsense. It should be embarrassing but large numbers of them seem to be unembarrassable.

Hardy

All to the good if the jerking knee is imparting a good boot in the hole.

tc_manchester

Quote from: GJL on August 12, 2015, 11:54:00 AM

Fair point.

The best I can get is this - about 1.30 in
http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/#!/clip/734/

Bensars

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 12:11:27 PM
The Knee Jerk Principle I think.

What's being forgot here, is the identification of the journalists who were lifting the phone to Croke Park?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2015, 12:10:55 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 12:05:00 PM

What's wrong with it? We are sick of them.

Seriously, I think the message is, 'we're sick of diving'. I think everybody other than the Tyrone whinge chorus here laughs at  the "Southern media/Southern GAA/free state b**tards out to get us" nonsense. It should be embarrassing but large numbers of them seem to be unembarrassable.

The thing is Hardy, I always laughed at that too, but how do we explain away the fact that we have 4 cases below of men feigning injury in order to get opponents in trouble. In no incident was the diver punished retrospectively. Then we have Tiernan McCann do something very similar, and whammo, although not before a Colm O'Rourke rant.

I agree with the sentiment re. diving, but I suppose the old maxim applies as far as I'm concerned. Justice must be done, but Justice must also be seen to be done. In this case it appears unjust to me to treat one lad differently.

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/gifs-following-michael-shields-fall-recalling-3-other-notorious-dives-in-the-gaa/302098

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bensars on August 12, 2015, 12:14:37 PM

What's being forgot here, is the identification of the journalists who were lifting the phone to Croke Park?

I'm not so sure I believe that to be honest.

Bensars

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2015, 12:15:07 PM
Quote from: Bensars on August 12, 2015, 12:14:37 PM

I'm not so sure I believe that to be honest.

Well the rest of the story has been 100% accurate. ( before the information became public knowledge)