Mayo v Donegal Saturday August 8th, 2015 Páirc an Chrócaigh

Started by From the Bunker, July 31, 2015, 02:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Itchy on August 08, 2015, 09:05:09 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 08, 2015, 08:53:24 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 08, 2015, 08:09:51 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on August 08, 2015, 08:08:46 PM
Mayo fans really deserve an AI, I hope to God they win it.

They'll only deserve it if they win it.

Bullshit Sy. We face odds others don t.

How in God's name did the officials send off Keane when Murphy was the aggressor. It ll be rescinded but not the point. Yon ref would have rode us if it was anyway tight. Unless Keane hit Murphy off camera with a sledge that decision was a joke.

Now this will be the fifth AI semi v Dublin that I can recall. All the previous were played as home games for Dublin. In fairness this needs to be played in Mayo or neutral like Limerick!!
A big hullaboloo was made about giving Sligo fair play a few weeks ago so what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
CP is too much a + for Dublin. Add in a homer ref and we d have to be 10+ a better team to have a chance.

Moydider, Keane threw a punch Murphy didn't. That why he was sent off. Pure stupid.

The both slapped each other. Murphy threw first and caught Keane in the neck. Keane did what AOXI didn't do all day, he reacted to the provocation and got sent off. It may be rescinded when they get a look at it, but I wouldn't be certain of that. McBrearty had actually started all that niggle earlier, and got booked for it, while Cafferkey was marshalling everything expertly. He kept the others from reacting.

Anyway.....

Fair play to the management, they got it spot on. Barry Moran went to midfield for every Donegal kickout and regardless of who won it, he turned and sprinted back in front of Murphy to protect against the high ball. He made a huge difference and allowed the half backs to play our running game. Midfield and the half forwards were very effective and the reality is that the game was over from a long way out. Oddly for us, it was hard to see a Donegal goal coming even though they sent Gallagher in as well as Murphy for the last 15 mins or so.

The next game will be a completely different type of test. Donegal's pace and movement didn't match ours today, but Dublin's will.
MWWSI 2017

stew

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2015, 09:19:50 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 08, 2015, 09:05:09 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 08, 2015, 08:53:24 PM

Bullshit Sy. We face odds others don t.

How in God's name did the officials send off Keane when Murphy was the aggressor. It ll be rescinded but not the point. Yon ref would have rode us if it was anyway tight. Unless Keane hit Murphy off camera with a sledge that decision was a joke.

Now this will be the fifth AI semi v Dublin that I can recall. All the previous were played as home games for Dublin. In fairness this needs to be played in Mayo or neutral like Limerick!!
A big hullaboloo was made about giving Sligo fair play a few weeks ago so what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
CP is too much a + for Dublin. Add in a homer ref and we d have to be 10+ a better team to have a chance.

Moydider, Keane threw a punch Murphy didn't. That why he was sent off. Pure stupid.

The both slapped each other. Murphy threw first and caught Keane in the neck. Keane did what AOXI didn't do all day, he reacted to the provocation and got sent off. It may be rescinded when they get a look at it, but I wouldn't be certain of that. McBreary had actually started all that niggle earlier, and got booked for it, while Cafferkey was marshalling everything expertly. He kept the others from reacting.

Anyway.....

Fair play to the management, they got it spot on. Barry Moran went to midfield for every Donegal kickout and regardless of who won it, he turned and sprinted back in front of Murphy to protect against the high ball. He made a huge difference and allowed the half backs to play our running game. Midfield and the half forwards were very effective and the reality is that the game was over from a long way out. Oddly for us, it was hard to see a Donegal goal coming even though they sent Gallagher in as well as Murphy for the last 15 mins or so.

The next game will be a completely different type of test. Donegal's pace and movement didn't match ours today, but Dublin's will.

Take a bow Mayo, you were sublime at times, I hope you go on now and win the thing.

Dublin wont rest easy the night, slack enough against Fermanagh and to be fair Mayo would destroy that Fermanagh team.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

charlieTully

Should be a cracker but I wouldn't read anything into the Fermanagh game, nothing more than a day out for them and the Dubs tend to take the foot of the pedal, very hard one to call. PP any odds up yet?

muppet

Quote from: charlieTully on August 08, 2015, 08:39:55 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 08, 2015, 08:16:56 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on August 08, 2015, 08:11:22 PM

I mean the supporters, they have suffered more than most.

Don't you think the supporters of Leitrim or Sligo or a number of other teams would not gladly swap with them?

I have £30 on them, I couldn't give a shite about them or their supporters really.  8) (shit I feel bad about that now, I would be very happy for the likes of ballinaman and muppet et al if they win it).

I'll be happy enough for myself thanks!  :D

What odds did you get us at?
MWWSI 2017

cicfada

I believe i predicted an easy Mayo win and suggested to start up the Mayo v Dublin win, last weekend. Well can someone please start the Mayo v Kerry all Ireland final thread now as I am convinced that's what's in store now. Kerry would be a savage test but I believe their defence could be suspect. As for the dubs they will be stone cold next time out and I believe Mayo will win by 3 or 4 points. Well done today and it's time to bring it across the Shannon lads.

charlieTully

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2015, 09:29:27 PM

Don't you think the supporters of Leitrim or Sligo or a number of other teams would not gladly swap with them?

I have £30 on them, I couldn't give a shite about them or their supporters really.  8) (shit I feel bad about that now, I would be very happy for the likes of ballinaman and muppet et al if they win it).

13/2. after watching Mayos last three games im getting the buzz. its on.

Itchy

It'll be a Mayo v Kerry final, I'm pretty confident of that. Kerry's bench is awesome and I'm afraid that's why they'll likely win the final.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: charlieTully on August 08, 2015, 09:40:13 PM

Is any actually prepared for what might happen if Mayo actually do it and win it the all Ireland? 😂
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

muppet

Quote from: charlieTully on August 08, 2015, 09:40:13 PM

If we win it beating Donegal, Dublin and Kerry in the one year, they should give us about 3 Sam Maguires.
MWWSI 2017

Wildweasel74

I still think Murphy the best about but you will ever get the best out of him playing him at wingfoward, Midfield, the defence, the lad need to play at full forward and stay there for a few years, the mouthing and constant fouling, he would need to look at, he gets away with alot. The incident today with the Mayo lad with the game over was typical, a strong push off on a man coming out ,not even looking at him and he got a reaction. Your going to get sent off that that in this day and age you may as well make it count.

twohands!!!

Aidan O'Se's goal

Big thing for me is the utter lack of pressure on the ball coming in - Tom Cunniffe got an awful lot of time to look up and make the kick under close to zero pressure. Almost symbolic of how tired Donegal were today.

There was a very interview with Malachy O'Rourke yesterday and he was asked whether playing in Division 1 was beneficial and he said the big thing you get used to playing Division 1 sides constantly is that any mistake you make is nearly guaranteed to be punished. Here you had about 4 Donegal players with 10 metres but none of them showed any sort of urgency in putting pressure on Cunniffe.

http://gfycat.com/HeavyPastArcticwolf

twohands!!!

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 08, 2015, 10:18:03 PM
I still think Murphy the best about but you will ever get the best out of him playing him at wingfoward, Midfield, the defence, the lad need to play at full forward and stay there for a few years, the mouthing and constant fouling, he would need to look at, he gets away with alot. The incident today with the Mayo lad with the game over was typical, a strong push off on a man coming out ,not even looking at him and he got a reaction. Your going to get sent off that that in this day and age you may as well make it count.

3 sendings off in the league meaning he missed one game - No-one else in the country missed a match because of this.
He also had had one tackle in the Ulster final that was very close to a black card and he picked up a yellow that was not that far away from a black in the Galway game.
Striking or attempting to strike is a red card offence and he was already on a yellow today.

In terms of cards picked up he would look to be the clear winner of the dirtiest player of the year award.

INDIANA

Quote from: Itchy on August 08, 2015, 09:47:04 PM
It'll be a Mayo v Kerry final, I'm pretty confident of that. Kerry's bench is awesome and I'm afraid that's why they'll likely win the final.

I'm saving this for the 31st

twohands!!!

To beat the drum one last time the Donegal subs today.

Subs:
Martin McElhinney for Toye (HT),
Anthony Thompson for N McGee (38)
Leo McLoone for MacNiallais (39)

They made the subs early but they only made 3 in total.
Leaving 6 players (including the sub keeper) on the bench, really displays a lack of faith in the quantity of any possible replacements.

J70

Quote from: The Stallion on August 08, 2015, 08:55:07 PM
Murphy was poor today, McManus was very good.

Murphy rarely scores heavily from play, and gets away with an awful lot of nasty fouling and mouthing off.

Complete and utter nonsense. Murphy hit three superb scores from play and was the only Donegal forward to consistently win any ball going in.