Mayo v Donegal Saturday August 8th, 2015 Páirc an Chrócaigh

Started by From the Bunker, July 31, 2015, 02:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitnail

As expected tbf

McFadden had his usual game these days & no personal battles won at all.

Tbh I thought both games were depressing enough to watch today

imtommygunn

Put Up That Flag

Congratulations to Syferus and all the Mayo lads on their victory

twohands!!!

Quote from: Whitnail on August 08, 2015, 07:52:06 PM
As expected tbf

McFadden had his usual game these days & no personal battles won at all.

Tbh I thought both games were depressing enough to watch today

I was hoping that they would be more competitive for longer into the 2nd half. Mayo were home and hosed from a long way out and once Tyrone got the few points ahead Monaghan really struggling to land a (metaphorical) punch to make it tight down the home straight.

charlieTully

Mayo fans really deserve an AI, I hope to God they win it.

Syferus

Quote from: charlieTully on August 08, 2015, 08:08:46 PM

They'll only deserve it if they win it.

charlieTully

Quote from: Syferus on August 08, 2015, 08:09:51 PM

I mean the supporters, they have suffered more than most.

J70

Went as expected. Keegan's fluke killed the game, although I think Mayo had the winning of it after O'Shea's goal anyway. But seven points down we had no choice but to leave the space at the back and Mayo really should have won by more - I'd be concerned about the number of easy chances they dropped short or into Durcan's hands, although I guess they at least got Keegan's goal from one! I thought we started trying to work a goal far too early and should have knocked over a few points to bring it back to four or five - we were doing this with 20 minutes to go!

End of the road, I would imagine, for at least some of Donegal's older players, and we should be prepared for a few years of rebuilding. Lacey didn't look fully fit today, but I suppose how would he? McBrearty was just crowded out by the time the ball would eventually come in, although he should still have had a couple of points with the chances he missed. Superb game from Murphy, with a few fine scores from play thrown in (can't believe there are still people about who doubt his scoring ability!). Overall, I thought we did all right, but Mayo are just a younger, more rested, and, overall, a better team right now.

I really would like to see Mayo finally go all the way, but will they? They won't get away with those missed chances against Dublin or Kerry, and maybe not even Tyrone. O'Shea is some player though. That goal was just sheer power and skill, and McGee didn't make it easy.

J70

Quote from: charlieTully on August 08, 2015, 08:11:22 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 08, 2015, 08:09:51 PM

I mean the supporters, they have suffered more than most.

Don't you think the supporters of Leitrim or Sligo or a number of other teams would not gladly swap with them?

heffo

Wow, what a performance from Mayo!

Best midfield in the country ahead of Kerry and I'd anticipate a five point win for them against Dublin and who'd begrudge them?

Given the tiny panel Donegal have operated off, it's hard to see them coming back after this? Were the US & UK backers not around this year?

The Stallion

I'd quite like to hear from all those who ridiculed my suggestion that Donegal were not a talented side and McGuinness' system was the only reason for their success. It's surely obvious now to you that Murphy, McFadden et al aren't as good as they've been hyped up to be.

The Stallion

as I said months ago:

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 04:46:37 PM »
QuoteModifyRemove
I strongly suspect Donegal will not be a top four team come the end of the year. They have only one truly outstanding footballer in Karl Lacey, and I think teams will be better prepared to counteract their dull system this year.

McGuinness leaving ended any genuine All-Ireland hopes for this bunch of players.

imtommygunn

INDIANA

Quote from: The Stallion on August 08, 2015, 08:26:57 PM
as I said months ago:

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 04:46:37 PM »
QuoteModifyRemove
I strongly suspect Donegal will not be a top four team come the end of the year. They have only one truly outstanding footballer in Karl Lacey, and I think teams will be better prepared to counteract their dull system this year.

McGuinness leaving ended any genuine All-Ireland hopes for this bunch of players.

Murphy is superior to Lacey. Time has just caught up with them. Lacey's injuries have ensured his athletic abilities aren't what they were