Kerry v Kildare August 2nd Croke Park

Started by Dinny Breen, July 26, 2015, 10:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 28, 2015, 03:34:48 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 28, 2015, 01:21:15 PM
The tone of some of the coverage on Kildare's win over Cork has been unfair on Kildare imo - Cork may have been poor but Kildare were excellent and set the pace and never let Cork into it.

Kerry should have too much for them Sunday (spread is Kerry -6 I think) but you never know.

Cork are the story though but too many excuses been offered for their capitulation. Ciaran Whelan gave plenty of credit to Kildare on TSG when he wasn't been shouted down and James Horan was very good on OTB last night. Horan thinks we'll be competitive enough against Kerry and hopefully he is right although in typical Kildare fashion some of the Ultras think we can win.

Horan also made an interesting point that Kildare in Leinster and Kildare in the qualifiers are two completely different animals, like they are liberated by the last chance saloon and no big brother putting them down. They just look nervous in Leinster.
No doubt that p***k Padraig Hughes will make a balls of it in favour of Kerry from the comfort of his armchair.

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 28, 2015, 04:06:38 PM
Moolick and a fit Niall Kelly to me though are the key, Moolick just gives us a bit of physicality around midfield, good on the ball and is just relaxed and composed and a fit Kelly is just the focal point our attack needs. Neither started against Dublin.
Made me wonder a bit about Ryan that he wasn't starting Moolick. But he's in now is the main thing I suppose. He's the Kildare equivalent of Macauley. Unorthodox and has some glaring weaknesses. But the strengths they bring far outweigh the negatives, and their weaknesses can be easily managed (e.g. not allowed to shoot unless you're stading right in front of the goal!)

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 28, 2015, 04:23:15 PM
Bernard Brogan, really? Wouldn't even make my squad, never been a fan - think he wastes as much as he scores and is more hype than substance, I like my inside men to be clinical.

For all the talk about the great young forward talent emerging in Dublin, none are a patch on Bernard in my opinion.

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on July 28, 2015, 04:38:26 PM
Moolick and a fit Niall Kelly to me though are the key, Moolick just gives us a bit of physicality around midfield, good on the ball and is just relaxed and composed and a fit Kelly is just the focal point our attack needs. Neither started against Dublin.
Made me wonder a bit about Ryan that he wasn't starting Moolick. But he's in now is the main thing I suppose. He's the Kildare equivalent of Macauley. Unorthodox and has some glaring weaknesses. But the strengths they bring far outweigh the negatives, and their weaknesses can be easily managed (e.g. not allowed to shoot unless you're stading right in front of the goal!)

Bernard Brogan, really? Wouldn't even make my squad, never been a fan - think he wastes as much as he scores and is more hype than substance, I like my inside men to be clinical.

For all the talk about the great young forward talent emerging in Dublin, none are a patch on Bernard in my opinion.

Costello looks absolutely exceptional. Brogan's problem has always been is he's a bit greedy. He's kept that trait more in check as the years have gone by.

Jinxy

Ah Dinny, come on.
Berno is class.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Beffs

Back in 2013, he won Dublin an All Ireland practically on his own. Was his 2-3 that day, not clinical enough for you?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 28, 2015, 03:46:39 PM
I think that's true especially of Kildare. We just freeze in front of the Dubs but have showed since a growth and belief. Let's also not deny the fact that key players are playing well. Right now IMO Eoin Doyle and Paul Cribbin would be worth a shout in any team in the country.
Kerry will be much more savvy than Cork and a lot fresher but to be honest I just want to put it up to them and if we just go at them the same as we did against Cork and go on the front foot, even if we fall in the end, you can't ask for any more.
I wonder what the Kerry folk think?

Steady up there! Doyle to me is the new Glen Ryan, just been ravaged by injuries so great to see him seize his opportunity. Cribben can get better, still a while before he gets his Daddy strength and he is capable of been more accurate in front of goal. Moolick and a fit Niall Kelly to me though are the key, Moolick just gives us a bit of physicality around midfield, good on the ball and is just relaxed and composed and a fit Kelly is just the focal point our attack needs. Neither started against Dublin.

Mark Donnellan is another player I'd give great credit to for Kildare's transformation this summer.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 28, 2015, 04:14:56 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 28, 2015, 03:58:52 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 28, 2015, 03:29:04 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 28, 2015, 02:21:03 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2015, 01:34:50 PM
I wouldn't have MDMA on a first 15, hell he's having trouble making the Dublin first 15 after his sojourn off the panel. He's a great worker but football-wise he's quite limited. Give me AOS, David Moran before him.

He was excellent against Kildare and pretty good against Westmeath I thought. When you see him the flesh, his work-rate is phenomenal, he is like having two extra players but what I like about him he looks to make things happen. Would work well with Moran, we'd just stick AOS in full-forward with McManus and O'Donoghue feeding off him.

Thought he was good against Kildare alright but wasn't up to his usual standards against us. I think he had 4 or 5 passes intercepted. Stick up the rest of your team there, I'm already quibbling about O'Sullivan not making it.  :P

No doubt I will get abuse but here you go

1. Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
2. Paul Murphy (Kerry)
3.Ger Cafferkey (Mayo)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)
5. Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)
6. Peter Harte (Tyrone)
7. Frank McGlynn (Donegal)
8. Michael Darragh McAuley (Dublin)
9. David Moran (Kerry)
10. Paul Flynn (Dublin)
11. Michael Murphy (Donegal)
12. Diarmud Connolly (Dublin)
13. Conor McManus (Monaghan)
14. Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)
15. James O'Donoghue (Kerry)

Case can be made for Heslin, Kingston, Lynch, Cavanagh, Lacey,  Cian O'Sullivan and so forth and all would be in the squad but if I was to pick a team without too much thought, this is where I would start. Easy on the abuse.

Instead of abuse, here's mine. Selected mostly on form this year:

1. Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
2. Johnny Cooper (Dublin)
3. Neil McGee (Donegal)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)
5. Peter Harte (Tyrone)
6. Cian O'Sullivan (Dublin
7. Frank McGlynn (Donegal)
8. Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)
9. David Moran (Kerry)
10. Paul Flynn (Dublin)
11. Michael Murphy (Donegal)
12. Diarmuid Connolly (Dublin)
13. James O'Donoghue (Kerry)
14. Conor McManus (Monaghan)
15. Bernard Brogan (Dublin)

First sub in is Cillian O'Connor.

You're on a roll this week Dinny!

Jinxy

In fairness, what would a Kildare man know about top class corner forwards. 

If you were any use you'd be playing.

johnpower

Just watched Cork v Kildare game,some performance by Kildare. Looking forward to Sunday Kerry will definitely have a big challenge. I wonder who will pick up Niall Kelly who really caused Cork a lot of problems? I hope Cian O Neill and Mikey Sheehy learnt from their trip to Tipp

lynchbhoy

come on the flourbags!
hope they win.
unlikely though....still they could give Kerry a serious test and sneak a win!
(prob get beat by 20 points now!)

Jell 0 Biafra

yellowcard

Kerry getting more favouritism from refs today.

DuffleKing

Handy for them that the Gooch isn't allowed to be tackled

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

screenexile