Kerry v Kildare August 2nd Croke Park

Started by Dinny Breen, July 26, 2015, 10:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: heffo on July 28, 2015, 02:32:19 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2015, 01:34:50 PM
I wouldn't have MDMA on a first 15, hell he's having trouble making the Dublin first 15 after his sojourn off the panel.

He's first choice - Fenton is getting his chance as a plan B against the weaker teams.

Fenton's also a very young lad and MDMA is nearing his late 20s. I'd only expect the competition to become more intense in the years ahead.

heffo

Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2015, 02:49:21 PM
I wouldn't have MDMA on a first 15, hell he's having trouble making the Dublin first 15 after his sojourn off the panel.

He's first choice - Fenton is getting his chance as a plan B against the weaker teams.

Fenton's also a very young lad and MDMA is nearing his late 20s. I'd only expect the competition to become more intense in the years ahead.

He was POTY two year ago & has two All stars - he's proven class.

Syferus

Quote from: heffo on July 28, 2015, 02:53:40 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2015, 02:49:21 PM

He was POTY two year ago & has two All stars - he's proven class.

Not saying he isn't. Still would be in my top three or four midfielders in the country.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 28, 2015, 02:21:03 PM
I wouldn't have MDMA on a first 15, hell he's having trouble making the Dublin first 15 after his sojourn off the panel. He's a great worker but football-wise he's quite limited. Give me AOS, David Moran before him.

He was excellent against Kildare and pretty good against Westmeath I thought. When you see him the flesh, his work-rate is phenomenal, he is like having two extra players but what I like about him he looks to make things happen. Would work well with Moran, we'd just stick AOS in full-forward with McManus and O'Donoghue feeding off him.

Thought he was good against Kildare alright but wasn't up to his usual standards against us. I think he had 4 or 5 passes intercepted. Stick up the rest of your team there, I'm already quibbling about O'Sullivan not making it.  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: heffo on July 28, 2015, 01:21:15 PM
The tone of some of the coverage on Kildare's win over Cork has been unfair on Kildare imo - Cork may have been poor but Kildare were excellent and set the pace and never let Cork into it.

Kerry should have too much for them Sunday (spread is Kerry -6 I think) but you never know.

Cork are the story though but too many excuses been offered for their capitulation. Ciaran Whelan gave plenty of credit to Kildare on TSG when he wasn't been shouted down and James Horan was very good on OTB last night. Horan thinks we'll be competitive enough against Kerry and hopefully he is right although in typical Kildare fashion some of the Ultras think we can win.

Horan also made an interesting point that Kildare in Leinster and Kildare in the qualifiers are two completely different animals, like they are liberated by the last chance saloon and no big brother putting them down. They just look nervous in Leinster.
#newbridgeornowhere

Captain Scarlet

I think that's true especially of Kildare. We just freeze in front of the Dubs but have showed since a growth and belief. Let's also not deny the fact that key players are playing well. Right now IMO Eoin Doyle and Paul Cribbin would be worth a shout in any team in the country.
Kerry will be much more savvy than Cork and a lot fresher but to be honest I just want to put it up to them and if we just go at them the same as we did against Cork and go on the front foot, even if we fall in the end, you can't ask for any more.
I wonder what the Kerry folk think?
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

macdanger2

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 28, 2015, 03:46:39 PM

"Yerra, yerra, {insert latest story of in-fighting in the Kerry camp here}" probably sums it up

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 28, 2015, 03:29:04 PM
I wouldn't have MDMA on a first 15, hell he's having trouble making the Dublin first 15 after his sojourn off the panel. He's a great worker but football-wise he's quite limited. Give me AOS, David Moran before him.

He was excellent against Kildare and pretty good against Westmeath I thought. When you see him the flesh, his work-rate is phenomenal, he is like having two extra players but what I like about him he looks to make things happen. Would work well with Moran, we'd just stick AOS in full-forward with McManus and O'Donoghue feeding off him.

Thought he was good against Kildare alright but wasn't up to his usual standards against us. I think he had 4 or 5 passes intercepted. Stick up the rest of your team there, I'm already quibbling about O'Sullivan not making it.  :P

No doubt I will get abuse but here you go

1. Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
2. Paul Murphy (Kerry)
3.Ger Cafferkey (Mayo)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)
5. Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)
6. Peter Harte (Tyrone)
7. Frank McGlynn (Donegal)
8. Michael Darragh McAuley (Dublin)
9. David Moran (Kerry)
10. Paul Flynn (Dublin)
11. Michael Murphy (Donegal)
12. Diarmud Connolly (Dublin)
13. Conor McManus (Monaghan)
14. Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)
15. James O'Donoghue (Kerry)

Case can be made for Heslin, Kingston, Lynch, Cavanagh, Lacey,  Cian O'Sullivan and so forth and all would be in the squad but if I was to pick a team without too much thought, this is where I would start. Easy on the abuse.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 28, 2015, 03:46:39 PM
I think that's true especially of Kildare. We just freeze in front of the Dubs but have showed since a growth and belief. Let's also not deny the fact that key players are playing well. Right now IMO Eoin Doyle and Paul Cribbin would be worth a shout in any team in the country.
Kerry will be much more savvy than Cork and a lot fresher but to be honest I just want to put it up to them and if we just go at them the same as we did against Cork and go on the front foot, even if we fall in the end, you can't ask for any more.

Steady up there! Doyle to me is the new Glen Ryan, just been ravaged by injuries so great to see him seize his opportunity. Cribben can get better, still a while before he gets his Daddy strength and he is capable of been more accurate in front of goal. Moolick and a fit Niall Kelly to me though are the key, Moolick just gives us a bit of physicality around midfield, good on the ball and is just relaxed and composed and a fit Kelly is just the focal point our attack needs. Neither started against Dublin.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 28, 2015, 03:58:52 PM

2. Paul Murphy (Kerry)
3.Ger Cafferkey (Mayo)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)
6. Peter Harte (Tyrone)
9. David Moran (Kerry)
10. Paul Flynn (Dublin)
14. Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)

Case can be made for Heslin, Kingston, Lynch, Cavanagh, Lacey,  Cian O'Sullivan and so forth and all would be in the squad but if I was to pick a team without too much thought, this is where I would start. Easy on the abuse.

Ya left out Cregger ya bollix.

Ger Caff has suffered a major drop in form - he's not even a starter for Mayo when everyone is fit this year - and honestly I'd be putting Neil McGee in ahead of him anyways, he adds so much with his physicality to a FB line. Paul Murphy a bit questionable too. In fairness aside from that it's about right even if I'd switch AOS and Murphy.

Croí na hÉireann

2. Paul Murphy (Kerry)
3.Ger Cafferkey (Mayo)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)
6. Peter Harte (Tyrone)
9. David Moran (Kerry)
10. Paul Flynn (Dublin)
14. Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)

Instead of abuse, here's mine. Selected mostly on form this year:

2. Johnny Cooper (Dublin)
3. Neil McGee (Donegal)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)
5. Peter Harte (Tyrone)
6. Cian O'Sullivan (Dublin
8. Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)
9. David Moran (Kerry)
10. Paul Flynn (Dublin)
12. Diarmuid Connolly (Dublin)
13. James O'Donoghue (Kerry)
14. Conor McManus (Monaghan)
15. Bernard Brogan (Dublin)

First sub in is Cillian O'Connor.

Rossfan

Sure they only pick from the last 12 Syfín.
We of course concentrate on the League instead of that Championship thingy :P :-[
Hope Kildare give a good account of themselves in this game too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 28, 2015, 04:14:56 PM

2. Paul Murphy (Kerry)
3.Ger Cafferkey (Mayo)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)
6. Peter Harte (Tyrone)
9. David Moran (Kerry)
10. Paul Flynn (Dublin)
14. Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)

3. Neil McGee (Donegal)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)
5. Peter Harte (Tyrone)
8. Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)
9. David Moran (Kerry)
10. Paul Flynn (Dublin)

Bernard Brogan, really? Wouldn't even make my squad, never been a fan - think he wastes as much as he scores and is more hype than substance, I like my inside men to be clinical.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 28, 2015, 04:18:03 PM
Sure they only pick from the last 12 Syfín.
We of course concentrate on the League instead of that Championship thingy :P :-[
Hope Kildare give a good account of themselves in this game too.

They're all going to be sorry when we get promoted to Division 0 next year.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 28, 2015, 04:23:15 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 28, 2015, 04:14:56 PM

2. Paul Murphy (Kerry)
3.Ger Cafferkey (Mayo)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)
6. Peter Harte (Tyrone)
9. David Moran (Kerry)
10. Paul Flynn (Dublin)
14. Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)

3. Neil McGee (Donegal)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)
5. Peter Harte (Tyrone)
8. Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)
9. David Moran (Kerry)
10. Paul Flynn (Dublin)

Bernard Brogan, really? Wouldn't even make my squad, never been a fan - think he wastes as much as he scores and is more hype than substance, I like my inside men to be clinical.

No fair, I never even metioned Ger Cafferkey.  :P

He is clinical in my eyes, Rock taking the frees off him is improving his game this year. Needs to stand up though in the semi-final, as opposed to last year.