Kerry v Kildare August 2nd Croke Park

Started by Dinny Breen, July 26, 2015, 10:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Certainly didn't expect this but lovely all the same. The Kingdom v The Kings of the Qualifiers/Kings of January, a real battle royal.

Kildare are the GAA equivalent of a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. We are certainly one of those sides that can't seem to marry League success and Championship success. Take 2012 as example, won Division 2 but well beaten by Meath in the Leinster semi-final and went out tamely to Cork in the AIQF. In 2013 we spent so much energy in trying to stay in Division 1 that we were a busted flush come the championship and 2013 is the root of our issues with Dublin.  Dublin hammered Kildare twice in 2013, League and Championship, the league one is pretty annoying as we conceded home advantage to play in CP, allied to these 2 defeats was another hammering in 2014 to Dublin in CP.  Dublin have always had a mental edge on Kildare, just look at the first coming of Micko and Dublin were always there to put us back in our box, people talk about Dublin need a strong Meath or Kildare/Offaly, do they f*ck they love lording it in Leinster, as far as they are concerned it it their divine right, and you know what they are dead right. When it comes to Leinster Dublin are an arrogant shower of wankers but they deserve to be, there is many reasons resources etc but mentally this confidence is a major factor too. So when Kildare played Dublin this year, the media narrative is Kildare will be hammered, Leinster is a mess, fans have no belief, it all becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy aided by a Kildare stuck between a defensive game and our natural game, two bar stools and all that. Now this Dublin have some exceptional footballers and if you were to pick a genuine Ireland team, Brogan, Connolly, Flynn and MDA would be starters and O'Sullivan and McGrath would be on the bench. Still on paper and looking at underage in Leinster over the last 5 years I would expect Kildare to be a lot closer and least look like winning if not winning the odd game in 4.

So coming into the Cork game our wonderful media narrative was Dublin hammered Kildare therefore Kildare are shit, is any other sports media in the country as negative as our GAA scribes (the real keyboard warriors)? Kildare stuggled past Offaly, all the while ignoring the 5 1/2 day turnaround we had but offered to Cork as an excuse on a plate. In the game against Longford many had tipped us to be beaten, we destroyed them but again only lip service, it was after all only Longford. We then go out and destroy Cork yet still many in the media are using Dublin as our benchmark, Dublin are an exceptional team, bar Kerry and maybe Mayo no team would have sustained success in Leinster against this Dublin.

So what's this random collection of thoughts got to do with Kerry, maybe none really but when Kildare are playing with the level of confidence that we have seen over the last 2 games, we can perform. Zero expectation, I give us a tiny chance because Kerry look slightly out of sorts, do they prepare for Kildare and hold something back or do they show their hand. Funny the rebels were saying all week they didn't fear Kildare but Kildare certainly didn't fear Cork, why would we they are probably more mentally brittle than Kildare and Roscommon combined. Do we fear Kerry, of course but we would fear Dublin more.

Expect our mobility and off shoulder running to ask a few questions. Great to be playing Kerry in Croke Park in an All-Ireland Quarter-Final all the same, the spirit of 98 to drive us on...
#newbridgeornowhere

TF15

Can't see anything other than a comfortable Kerry win. This side of the draw will have two fairly shite QFs I doubt. Hope I'm wrong!

Maguire01

Quote from: TF15 on July 26, 2015, 12:20:00 PM
Can't see anything other than a comfortable Kerry win. This side of the draw will have two fairly shite QFs I doubt. Hope I'm wrong!
I'd imagine this QF and Monaghan's will be fairly competitive.

Donnellys Hollow

I saw Cian O'Neill and Mikey Sheehy on their way into the stand last night. I wonder what they made of it all.

I'm guessing Leper will be ruled out with his shoulder injury. Mick O'Grady was limping around the field with an ice pack tied around his ankle so he's probably doubtful too. Peter Kelly might be a better fit for Donaghy anyway if he starts for them. Niall Kelly appeared to have dislocated his finger as well which hopefully isn't going to be a hindrance to him. He announced himself on the big stage last night.

Fantastic to be looking forward to a big game with a small bit of optimism for once.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Ohtoohtobe

Some difference facing Moran and Maher than Cadogan and Gould. Big step-up.

Jinxy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 26, 2015, 12:44:38 PM
I saw Cian O'Neill and Mikey Sheehy on their way into the stand last night. I wonder what they made of it all.

I'm guessing Leper will be ruled out with his shoulder injury. Mick O'Grady was limping around the field with an ice pack tied around his ankle so he's probably doubtful too. Peter Kelly might be a better fit for Donaghy anyway if he starts for them. Niall Kelly appeared to have dislocated his finger as well which hopefully isn't going to be a hindrance to him. He announced himself on the big stage last night.

Fantastic to be looking forward to a big game with a small bit of optimism for once.

Is Mick Foley off the panel?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on July 26, 2015, 07:02:38 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 26, 2015, 12:44:38 PM

Is Mick Foley off the panel?

He is indeed by choice.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Is Stone Cold Steve Austin there at least?

blanketattack

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 26, 2015, 10:56:06 AM
Certainly didn't expect this but lovely all the same. The Kingdom v The Kings of the Qualifiers/Kings of January, a real battle royal.

How are Kildare the kings of the qualifiers? Kerry are the only team in either code with a 100% record in the qualifiers.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: blanketattack on July 26, 2015, 08:45:11 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 26, 2015, 10:56:06 AM

How are Kildare the kings of the qualifiers? Kerry are the only team in either code with a 100% record in the qualifiers.

No team has won more qualifier games! Tis a numbers game. 1st team to qualify for the q/f's after winning all 4 qualifier games too!
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Did we put our poor 2015 record against counties with a coastline to bed last night?

T Fearon

A quadruple bet next weekend,Tyrone,Kerry,Donegal and Dublin all to win pays less than even money.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 27, 2015, 05:09:04 PM
Spirit of 98

Martin Whyte hugging McCreevy!

There must have been a 40,000+ Kildare bandwagon there that day.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 27, 2015, 05:15:16 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 27, 2015, 05:09:04 PM
Spirit of 98

Martin Whyte hugging McCreevy!

There must have been a 40,000+ Kildare bandwagon there that day.

After this season it's fair to say we have about 3k odd ultras would love to see 10K on Sunday never mind 40k...
#newbridgeornowhere