Most naturally talented

Started by gaafan123, November 19, 2006, 10:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

QuoteHardly, for the vast majority of his career he failed to score from play against us. I would consider O'Neill much more of a "bane" than Costeau.

Thats cos for the better part of Canavan's career Armagh didn't get past the first round!  However my Armagh relatives will say Canavan "robbed us of 2 all Irelands" so he must have been doing something to annoy them! ;D

Bogball XV

Quote from: T O Hare on September 17, 2008, 04:53:49 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi9ZufwO5tU

watch benny coulters goal in this game
at 1 min 30 for everyone, given there wasn't a tackle put in, it wasn't that great.

time ticking away

Tyrones most naturally talented players of the last twenty years are  Peter Canavan, Gerard Calvan, Adrian Cush and probably Stephen O Neill
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

ExiledGael

Probably on page one of this thread but seeing as it's all being revisited natural talent needs to be defined here.
Sean Cavanagh is well on his way to becoming one of the all-time legends of the game, playing anywhere he's asked and will win All-Stars at midfield and in the forwards, yet he's not considered?

time ticking away

Sean Cavanagh is an amazing footballer but he uses his pace and power to great effect. ie. goal against Dublin this year. He is extremely talented but not as much so as those players i have already mentioned... IMO
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

D4S

Quote from: time ticking away on September 17, 2008, 07:31:24 PM
Sean Cavanagh is an amazing footballer but he uses his pace and power to great effect. ie. goal against Dublin this year. He is extremely talented but not as much so as those players i have already mentioned... IMO

Sean Cavanagh gives 110% every time he plays for Tyrone, he is the engine of the team, an outstanding footballer and if plays well in final is sure of another all-star this year to go with his other 3? and his young player of the year award!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Down Gael

I`ve seen them all from Greg Blaney to Peter Canavan and Shorty Treanor to Benny Coulter, but the most talented player I have ever seen was Marty Clarke. He was sometimes known as Magical Marty and that is just what he was.

JMohan

The most talented player I have ever seen must be Canavan

tyrone86

Quote from: Down Gael on September 17, 2008, 09:06:49 PM
I`ve seen them all from Greg Blaney to Peter Canavan and Shorty Treanor to Benny Coulter, but the most talented player I have ever seen was Marty Clarke. He was sometimes known as Magical Marty and that is just what he was.
He certainly was as talented Minor as I've ever seen. Whatever about 2005 when he had 6 or 7 good players alongside him, the fact that Clarke was able to carry Kilkeel to a MacRory final in 2006 with very limited supporting cast gave an indication of how good he potentially could have been.

INDIANA

haven't seen anynone has naturally gifted as maurice fitz, who was so naturally talented he make the kerry team of the 70's look like paupers in comparison.

Bomber

Watched those youtube videos. Benny Coulter was unreal in them. Totally dominated them and scored at will. Serious player even at that age. Don't think I have ever seen anyone dominate games in such a way like those two Under 16 finals on youtube.

I have watched him since the 1999 minors and just never figured out why Down never played him midfield or half forward for the senior team for a decent period of time. I know he played a bit in the half forward line for them but has played mostly in the full forward line. I know he gets plenty of goals but I always believed he would be better further out the field dictating play and running at people?? He is not the biggest but is very strong and has a good leap and could get away at midfield I believe at county level.

Also he was pointing 45's off the ground when he was 16/17, whats wrong he doesn't anymore. Can he not do it anymore or just doesn't?

Jinxy

Can't be arsed reading pages of Ulster-centric nominations so if he hasn't already been mentioned I'll throw in Graham Geraghty.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Yes I Would

maddog

Quote from: cadhlancian on September 17, 2008, 06:22:16 PM
Quote from: maddog on November 20, 2006, 08:27:01 AM
Quotethe bane of Armagh "Peter the great Canavan"

Hardly, for the vast majority of his career he failed to score from play against us. I would consider O'Neill much more of a "bane" than Costeau.
lol...what a jokester...wise FFS :D

While you are only out for a rise i'm sure, the indisputable facts are that o'neill has scored way more against Armagh from play in championship football than Canavan.

full back

Maurice Fitz would get my vote every time