Most naturally talented

Started by gaafan123, November 19, 2006, 10:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

I'd put it between Maurice Fitz, Mick O'Connell, Tommy Murphy, Sean Purcell and Mikey Sheehy.

time ticking away

would the Galway posters rate Micheal Donnellan as more naturally talented than Padraig Joyce or even Derek Savage
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Hardy on September 18, 2008, 01:58:09 PM
Quote from: mouview on September 18, 2008, 01:56:17 PM
Oh come on! Michael Donnellan was the most naturally talented, most *physically* consummate player of this era. Maurice Fitz would be his only peer.

Donnellan? A runner.

Donnellan was a supreme natural talent in that the game came easily to him. He wasn't a particularly great trainer and indeed it seemed at times that the whole football thing was only a minor diversion for him (he never did interviews and retired from both county and club football at a fairly early age). I know he loved the game itself though but disliked all the extra stuff that goes with it these days especially at intercounty level. To compare him to one of his teammates I would say Donnellan was more naturally talented than Padraig Joyce but PJ worked far harder on his game to make himself better. Donnellan was just naturally gifted but the recurring injuries just wore him down early.

Natural talent is a hard one to pin down. The greatest footballers were not always the most naturally talented ones. PJ is one of the best footballers of the past 10 to 15 years but I wouldn't describe him as being as naturally talented as Michael Donnellan was even though PJ has been Galway's best player during that time.

mouview

Well put GBB. The more I think about it the more I'd compare Donnellan to George Best - application wasn't the best but sheer ability set them on a plane apart. Of course I'm biased, but at his best (sadly too seldom for Galway fans) Donnellan dictated the game, he formed it around him, he directed it. I didn't see too much of Matt Connor to comment on him, as I said only Maurice Fitz would be comparable that I have seen. Kieran Mac was somewhat similar but good though he was, he didn't have the pace or sheer all round ability of Donnellan.

heganboy

I've only scanned this but Frank McGuigan must surely be up there? (that hurts to say as an Armagh man) but we grew up with Paddy Mo as the main man all the kids wanted to be like and Pat the bollix wasn't far behind but Frank was a step or two ahead of them both in my eyes (and lets just remember how subjective this is)

Maurice Fitz, wee james both outrageously talented when let play and not kicked off the field.
Always loved watching Corkery & Ciaran Mac playing at the 7s.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

bannside

Peter Mc Ginnity should feature a lot higher in the ratings here. Definitely in top five, along with Canavan, McGuigan, McHugh, and Blayney. Corvan too if he had stayed around a bit longer, and can agree too with Cavlan at his sublime best. Stevie Mc Donnell, and the Mc Entee twins up there too. Have to say Paddy Bradley isnt far away either, and another dark horse is Martin Clarke who would be supremely gifted. Steven O Neill pure class it cant be argued against either.

We are talking about players who were worth the admission money alone for the things they could do. Nudie Hughes was a class act on and off the field, and what would Tyrone not give right now for another Eugene Mc Kenna? Tohill would have to be up there somewhere as well. Ciaran Hamill possibly the best Ive seen from Antrim - a view shared by Mick O Dwyer in his autobiography.

bannside

Forgot to mention the one player who would be first on my teamsheet if I was picking Ulsters finest of players currently playing. Fergal Doherty. That man is made for football.

ONeill

Cavlan and McGuigan (Frank and Brian) could do things on the ball no others around them could for Tyrone. Canavan just about topped them in his heyday. Left, right, ground, hands - the man had it all except height yet it didn't hinder him.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Onion Bag

Quote from: ONeill on September 18, 2008, 07:26:27 PM
Cavlan and McGuigan (Frank and Brian) could do things on the ball no others around them could for Tyrone. Canavan just about topped them in his heyday. Left, right, ground, hands - the man had it all except height yet it didn't hinder him.

Naturally talented at dog training
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Bomber

Forgot about Cavlan. Very very talented. He could do everything. Was a ntural. Field ball all day at midfield if he put his mind to it, one of the most accurate kick passers in the game, score from play and off the ground and also a great athlete. Very underrated.

On_the_Couch

Quote from: Onion Bag on September 18, 2008, 07:30:20 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 18, 2008, 07:26:27 PM

Naturally talented at dog training

Nobody ever claimed he was the sharpest tool in the box - but he was/is a fantastic footballer.

5 Sams

Quote from: blanketattack on September 18, 2008, 11:24:50 AM
Is Blaney considered better than Linden? I always thought that Linden was considered the best Down player of that era?

Mickey would tell you himself that he wouldnt have achieved what he did (2 All Irelands, player of the year in 94, etc, etc) without Greg.

As someone said above.... that Down team of the early 90s was blessed with brilliant forwards...but who was holding the conductors baton???

I remember chatting to Peter Quinn...and he said Blaney was THE best he ever saw....high praise indeed.
The Aristocrat Years

tyrone86

Quote from: Bomber on September 18, 2008, 07:37:22 PM
Forgot about Cavlan. Very very talented. He could do everything. Was a ntural. Field ball all day at midfield if he put his mind to it, one of the most accurate kick passers in the game, score from play and off the ground and also a great athlete. Very underrated.

Bullshit. Considering the natural attributes that Cavlan had I would consider him the single greatest waste of talent ever to come out of Tyrone. Ability-wise, there's no doubt he was head and shoulders above Dooher as a minor on an Ulster minor winning team of 1993, from 1996 on I know which one I'd rather have had on my team.

time ticking away

Quote from: tyrone86 on September 19, 2008, 01:13:34 AM
Quote from: Bomber on September 18, 2008, 07:37:22 PM

Bullshit. Considering the natural attributes that Cavlan had I would consider him the single greatest waste of talent ever to come out of Tyrone. Ability-wise, there's no doubt he was head and shoulders above Dooher as a minor on an Ulster minor winning team of 1993, from 1996 on I know which one I'd rather have had on my team.
[/i][/b]

The thread is about natural talent not who is the best...... big difference
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 19, 2006, 04:43:09 PM
Since we have lost Stew and none of the Harps crew have leapt in, it is up to me as his schoolmate at Greenpark CBS to nominated Jonny Corvan as the most naturally talented in Armagh.  Unfortunately, his talent was largely badly managed and lost. Even the College boys would agree with Corvan's nomination as the most naturally talented Armagh player.

I went to Greenpark as well.  Were you there when Ned Kelly was head?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something