Most naturally talented

Started by gaafan123, November 19, 2006, 10:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filthylittlebeast

It has to be Peter Canavan especialyl as he's one of the most decorated players in the game's history and he is considered one of the great players of the last twenty years by commentators such as John Haughey of the BBC !!

Doire abú

Doire abú

Is that definetly U-16s? looks more lie minors.

T O Hare

defos under sixteens, he is only 25!!! he was streets ahead!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Puckoon

Was that the goal right after the "commentator" was complaining about them not wearing the right numbers in midfield?

Great goal.

T O Hare

thats the one, Patsy Russell is "the Voice" in county Down

behind the wire

remember being at that match. a cousin of mine was doing goals for leitrim. remember him saying to me that knew he had no chance. brilliant goal.

those lads were all very big. i dont think we see many u16s that big now, and thats only 10 years ago.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Zapatista

I thought all talent was natural? So you mean the most talented?

ExiledGael

Who's the Liatroim number 10? Doyle?

T O Hare

no laim doyle was over age,i think it was Damien Doyle??

T O Hare

D4S

Unbelievable goal! When talkin about natural talent you have to look at players at a young age, and this at 15 or 16 is certainly a fantastic goal! 
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

cadhlancian

Quote from: maddog on November 20, 2006, 08:27:01 AM
Quotethe bane of Armagh "Peter the great Canavan"

Hardly, for the vast majority of his career he failed to score from play against us. I would consider O'Neill much more of a "bane" than Costeau.
lol...what a jokester...wise FFS :D

ExiledGael

Oh God, let's not go there again.

Over the Bar

Coulter in those clips reminds me very much of Canavan at that age.   

It's easy picking players as "the most skillful" when they are at their prime but Canavan's influence was actually greater when he was at his careers end, body ravanged by injury and ill-health, but mind alert, setting the ball up for players, anticpating runs and snatching scores when there was no room to move in a tight game. The 2005 AI semi against Armagh is a classic example of this.

in terms on natural skill however I don't think anyone could match Frank McGuigan.  If he'd looked after himself and dedicated the practise time that Canavan did I think he could have been considered as the greatest player ever.   A short career, the ravages of alcohol and time wasted in America deprived him of that.  Probably one like him in every county.