Change one historical GAA event

Started by Orior, April 18, 2007, 12:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Jaysus, Sean Kelly really has got up a lot of peoples noses if they can't find something on the pitch that was more traumatic than him becoming President!

Fishead_Sam

I dont mind Sean Kelly & all I think he was a very good President, but even I took offence to his I nver felt as proud to be Irish comment.

magpie seanie

Whitey to blow up after a couple of minutes injury time in 2000, not allow play to go on for almost 6 minutes over time.

Marty Duffy to give the deserved free when Joycie was pulled down in injury time in 2002 drawn final.

The ref to wave play on after Padraig Joyce's dive in 1999.

My views on Mr. Kelly are well known but I think they were right to not support the RIGGs project.

Donagh

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 18, 2007, 11:16:41 PM
Whitey to blow up after a couple of minutes injury time in 2000, not allow play to go on for almost 6 minutes over time.

Marty Duffy to give the deserved free when Joycie was pulled down in injury time in 2002 drawn final.

The ref to wave play on after Padraig Joyce's dive in 1999.

My views on Mr. Kelly are well known but I think they were right to not support the RIGGs project.

Feck Seanie, I just lost a five pound bet with the missus - I was sure you were going to mention a contentious last minute event during a certain quarter final replay.  :(

Lone Shark

Several different perspectives. Contentious decisions happen, I'd just love to see a few what if scenarios.

Weather

1997 All Ireland football semi against Mayo. We were on a serious roll that year, playing some ridiculously fluid football - haven't seen the like since. I'd love to know how that game would have gone on a dry day, rather than spilling out of the heavens and playing into the hands of the far bigger lads from MAyo. Gut feeling is we would have rattled Kerry in the final a bit more than they did as well.

Refereeing

More than any refereeing decision out there, the one that kills me was the deliberate malevolence of Paddy Russell in 2002. Leinster semi replay in Nowlan Park, extra time and two points down to the Flourbags. 20 metre free and both Ciaran McManus and Colm Quinn asks if there's more time. Russell says there is, the ball is tapped over and Russell blows up on the kickout - hence McManus infamous "The Ref rode us" outburst on TV. More than likely the ball would have been blocked, but I'd love to know what would have happened if we got the chance to go for it. I'd forgive any ref a mistake, but to this day I have no idea what Russell's agenda was with that.

Hurling

1995, & David Hughes/Batman. Let the fricking ball over the bar, AI final finishes 2-8 to 0-14, we'd skin them in the replay, the Clare revolution would never have happened. Probably was great for hurling, just not for us.

Football

The umpire didn't have that ridiculous myopic moment against Westmeath in 2004. Losing was hard enough to take, never mind losing on a score of 0-10 to 0-10. Crashed the car on the way up to Croke Park that day as well.

The Greater Good

That Rory O'Connell would have taken his suspension and not set the trend of bringing the courts into GAA.

Gambling

That Ger Farragher hadn't gone postal against Kilkenny in the AI semi in 2005. I had got on James Young at the start of the year for top hurling scorer at 66/1 for a rather large amount. Coming into the KK vs Galway semi, Farragher was 17 in arrears of Young amd Shefflin was 25 behind - I was actually more worried about Shefflin. No bookie would quote me a price to hedge, Farragher scores 2-9 out of nowhere, then gets four in the final against Cork to beat me by a lousy two points. Cost me a mahoosive win that one. I still get emotional thinking about it.

Bod Mor

Quote from: Lone Shark on April 19, 2007, 03:22:39 AM
Weather

1997 All Ireland football semi against Mayo. We were on a serious roll that year, playing some ridiculously fluid football - haven't seen the like since. I'd love to know how that game would have gone on a dry day, rather than spilling out of the heavens and playing into the hands of the far bigger lads from MAyo. Gut feeling is we would have rattled Kerry in the final a bit more than they did as well. 

Does it not rain at all in Offaly?
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

stephenite

Quote from: Bod Mor on April 19, 2007, 05:23:39 AM
Weather

;D Good answer

mouview

Football;

Savo passing inside to Joyce in the 2000 final instead of going for a score himself off his weaker right foot. Also, Sean Og or Mikey D converting late chances in that game when we had Kerry on the ropes. Liam Sammon to score the peno in the 1974 final. If we'd won perhaps the Dubs of that era may never have been heard of?

Hurling;
Cyril playing an orthodox line-up against Cork in the '86 final.
Cyril not making a big deal of the Keady affair in '89
Ger Cunningham's forehead not being so big in '90

So many, so many....

magpie seanie

QuoteFeck Seanie, I just lost a five pound bet with the missus - I was sure you were going to mention a contentious last minute event during a certain quarter final replay

I was thinking if a certain well known contributer who has left our midst was lurking that this thread might have been enough to lure him back to answer for me. Navan was tough alright but not as tough as the other 3 mentioned. If we had got the pen and scored it I don't think we would have gone on to lift Sam. The club ones speak for themselves and I have NEVER seen us beat Galway. At any grade, ever.

Lone Shark

Quote from: stephenite on April 19, 2007, 05:59:52 AM
Quote from: Bod Mor on April 19, 2007, 05:23:39 AM
Weather

;D Good answer

God no - the boglands drain it off and it's dry as a bone again in four minutes. Anyway, if you're preparing thoroughbreds for the Derby in June, you don't expect the going to be soft/heavy.....  :)

Captain Scarlet

here here with the davis sending off!

also a happier outcome for kildare in the three in a row with meath in '97.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

The Donegal team going on the piss for a year after bringing "Sam to the hills" in 1992...!!!!

Oh what could have been!  :'(
Tbc....

oneillcup2007

ffs do they not do that every year.

An Cloch Scoilte

Paddy O'Rourke taking Liam Doyle off against Donegal in Ballybofey last summer with time up, then Down being awarded a free kick ideal for a left footed kicker. Could have drawn the game, saved Downs Summer, and in the long run saved him his job!

Fishead_Sam

For the whole Canal End Terrace (including myself) not to start chanting "We want Sam, we want Sam, for the last 15 minutes relentlessly" in the first game in 1996, I really do believe not alone did we convince ourselves that victory was a cert, but the cockness waved onto the pitch and this negative positivity into the heads of the Mayo players