Change one historical GAA event

Started by Orior, April 18, 2007, 12:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highfielder

i would not so much change anything but i would have like to have stopped whelans assault on mcgarrity in the early stages on the semi final last, despite the fact he could have permanently damaged him but it robbed mc garrity of a certain all star he was ruling midfield that day, and this is especially pertinent since we have realised of mc garritys illness in the past few months just hope he can get back to full fitness and get the all star he deserves

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Hardy

ONeill

2002. Canavan decides not to pass to Thornton and slams it over. La Manga and all that.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: cavanmaniac on April 18, 2007, 02:43:36 PM
Did any Westmeath folk mention Dessie Dolan's appalling miss from a free against meath at Croke Park a few years ago??? What a nightmare for maroons!

Personally speaking I don't think we'd have won Leinster that year if Dessie had scored that point or in 2004 as Lukie would have probably remained in charge. Add that to the fact only allowed change one historical event plus it felt a lot more depressing coming out of Croke Park in after de quarter-final in 04 than it did in 03.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ONeill

1996. The guards step in and arrest half of the Royals for disorderly behaviour and attempting to pervert divine right.
2004. Wind picks up and balls veers from hitting Gormley on mug.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rufus T Firefly

Haven't had a row here in ages - feel in the form for one;

Quote from: realredhandfan on April 18, 2007, 12:44:04 PM
I think the attempt to get the suspension removed from Diramuid Marden on a technicality in late 2003 opened the door for fair game for  anyone to take a pot at the GAAs disciplinary system.. Sporrtsmanship suffered that day.

:D

You'll find that sportsmanship suffered in 2003 long before September, or in someone else's words,

Quote from: downredblack on April 18, 2007, 12:27:01 PM
........ Ulster Final 2003
Peter the Greats constant diving and resultant frees , same day .

Oh darn it - I've just been wound up!!!   :-[     

Regrets - I have a few!!!

Gormleys block,
Loughran playing wing half forward the same day,
Bumpy passing to Declan O'Keefe in 2000,
Diarmuid Marsden's fisted effort hitting the bar in the first half of the Fermanagh game, 2004 (how many of you remember that?)

armaghniac

Bumpy 2000
Donegal not getting an extra point against Fermanagh in 2004
Paul McGrane stumbling and the ball going over the sideline in Armagh and Tyrone 2005
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

realredhandfan

Long before Armagh Rufus, between 95 - 96 Leinster football robbed Tyrone of probably their best ever 2 in a row chance.  Once with brutality and once with brutal refereeing.  

Ryano

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 18, 2007, 01:45:38 PM
Quote from: Ryano on April 18, 2007, 01:23:56 PM
That Derek Thompson "hand pass" (in its loosest interpretation) in the 98 Connaught final replay between Ros & Galway in the Hyde......it must still be keeping him awake at night. We had them feckin bet ya T-I-T!!!!

Ah sure ye would only have got humped in the semi-finals anyway. ;D

Maybe but we would still have had the pleasure of beating ye ;)

CSC

Sean Kelly would never have become president. For two reasons
1 Not concerned with the decision to open up Croke Park, but the way he failed to defend the Ulster counties during the media campaign which portrayed us as bigots was a disgrace. He failed to articulate the fact where the 26 counties can look to the Dail as its ultimate symbol of the Irish nation, it doesn't apply to us (6 northern counties) and Croke Park is our ultimate symbol of the Irish nation. That was where during the last 90 years we could stand proud as an Irish man with out looking over our shoulders for a baton, plastic bullet etc. He was the whole organization's president and not a 26 county pres. He failed to identify the importance of the symbolism of Croke Park to Ulster counties esp. the 6 northern counties

2 His sinister involvement in the scuppering of the NY RIGGs project. Whereby with sheer greed, he along with Brennan, Quinn and Hannahoe collectively ensured the only way of protecting the GAA in NY was lost. I mean lads, on one hand he was for opening up Croke Park, at the same time he wouldn't allow the NY GAA share future grounds with soccer and rugby, in the most diverse city in the world.

No morals, no back bone no loyalty, that's our Sean Kelly

Tippfan

Tipperary v Clare All Ireland hurling final 1997. John Leahy drills the ball to the back of the net in the last minute, instead of Davy Fitzgerald saving the shot.

willo

Quote from: Orior on April 18, 2007, 12:10:30 PM
If there was one event in GAA history that you could go back and change what would it be?

While Armagh's semi-final defeats in 1999 and 2000 were hard to take, I'd like to go back and undo Diarmuid Marsdens sending off in the 2003 AI Final.
I would love to back to the start and tell those idiots who started this bigoted organisation to think again.Let the masses play a real game like soccer like it is done throughout the world and we would all be happier.

Farrandeelin

Jays willo you're harsh don't ya think?

Anyway if I could change a few things, Mayo would have won the AIF in 96, 97 and 99. We wouldn't have got beaten by Sligo in 2000. We'd have beaten the Rossies in the Connacht final in 01 and won the AIf that year as well. Carolan would have scored the peno against Galway in 03, we'd have won the 04 and 06 all Irelands. I know Orior said only one thing but I'd change all of these and I'd be a very happy man.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.