Change one historical GAA event

Started by Orior, April 18, 2007, 12:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

QuoteYou really don't like me do you?

You instigated this particular exchange, I responded. I wouldn't go reading too much into it.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteYou're right. There was only one team in it (had the balls for it) that day.

Look, just accept the fact that you betrayed whatever footballing instincts you had in order to win by any means necessary. Perhaps this was an understandable approach in order to win your first AI, however, that doesnt change the facts of how you played.

ONeill

Want me to send you the video? Kerry supporters themselves were so humiliated by that defeat that they attacked Paidi on the field of play. Tyrone's play in that first half was magnificent, attacking in waves, scoring points when goals were there for the taking. I think that was one of the most humiliating factors for the Kingdom's supporters. Kerry's foul count was massively higher than Tyrone's that day, as discussed in last year's Times, as all they could do was haul Tyrone to the ground. A Kerryman on TV tried to explain it away by calling it puke football. Fortunately, the rest of the nation knew otherwise and that Kerryman's stock fell dramatically since to the point that he's viewed as a joke.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyssam5

I disagree O'Neill, I didn't think Kerry were that humiliated during the game. They kept trying hard but just couldn't get into it, no shame in that.

The humiliating part came afterward when the Kerry county chairman demanded the rules of the game be changed. I've hardly stopped laughing at him since.

But I suppose if Kerry were good losers they'd probably have won a lot less.

Jinxy

Look, Kerry got their ass kicked by Tyrone in 2003, just like Tyrone got their ass kicked by Meath in '96. You don't hear them whinging about it years later. ;D ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

SuperDooperCooper

Dont thing this topic will ever die but here is my take on the '03 semi final. It was a shite game of football for three reasons.
1. Tyrone blew Kerry away in the first half 0-9 to 0-2 played that swarm shite and should have had a few goals in the first half. Kerry half backs were constantly fouling their men as the broke in on goals. A fair share of the Tyrone scores came from frees including one from a dive by Mr Canavan (shortly before he went off) that got Mike Mac booked after 4 minutes.
2. Kerry opened well in the second half and had the score at 0-10 to 0-6 by which time Tyrone had lost interest in playing football, they went down when touched and took every opportunity to slow the game down. Messer's McGuigan, McMeniman and Dooher the worst offenders if memory serves. Tyrone scored the last 3 point, late on, to win by 0-13 to 0-6.The game was not a good spectacle and Tyrone did what they had to do after building up a lead - no argument the better side won but the 'tactics' used in the second half to slow the game down didn't sit well. Don't think you will find a solitary Kerry person to say Kerry were better on the day. '05 final a far better game 'cos none of the negativity of the second half of '03 was there.
3. The worst ref in Ireland took charge of the game....Mr Keneevy or whatever he is calling himself these days.....