Change one historical GAA event

Started by Orior, April 18, 2007, 12:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

If there was one event in GAA history that you could go back and change what would it be?

While Armagh's semi-final defeats in 1999 and 2000 were hard to take, I'd like to go back and undo Diarmuid Marsdens sending off in the 2003 AI Final.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

the colonel

i cant see that being too historical as it didnt have a negative impact on the result,

however i would have like to have seen nicky english being sent off in the 1st minute of the 89 hurling final!!
the difference between success and failure is energy

stephenite

Bloody Sunday in Croke Park for starters

Liam McHales sending off in 1996 replay

Colm Coyle bouncing the ball over the bar with a banana kick from half way in the first game

Maurice Fitz been born in Kerry

Crossmaglen in '99 club final, winning despite hardly touching the ball

... I can go on

Kerry Mike

QuoteI would go back and make sure Kerry scored a goal in the 2nd half of the 2002 AIF  

I would go back and make sure Kerry scored a goal in the 2nd half of the 1982 AIF  >:(
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

stephenite

Quote from: Kerry Mike on April 18, 2007, 12:19:09 PM
QuoteI would go back and make sure Kerry scored a goal in the 2nd half of the 2002 AIF  

I would go back and make sure Kerry scored a goal in the 2nd half of the 1982 AIF  >:(

You greedy bastard :P

Fear ón Srath Bán

Kevin Mc Cabe's penalty in the '86 final goes under the bar!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

downredblack

Greg McCartans sending off Ulster Final 2003
Peter the Greats constant diving and resultant frees , same day .

Shamrock Shore

Bring a Book Depository and a Grassy Knoll to Killarney last year and take out Donaghy with 5 mins gone.

Fishead_Sam

Anthony Finertys second goal shot does not run along the goal mouth & wide but into the goal in the 1989 Football All-Ireland Final.

As a result Mayo goes on to win Sam over Cork in 1989.

John O'Mahoney is therefore never hounded out of Mayo.

Mayo win 5-7 Senior All-Irelands between 1989 & 2007.

Therefore Leitrim never win Connacht Final in 1994 over Mayo.

Therefore Galway never reach their potential and are still in a 41 year football famine.

You see one ball and a few inchs either side of a line and the football landscape of Ireland could have been so different.

brokencrossbar1

So many, so many.

A lot of serious ones I could quote a la Bloody Sunday, but they are a given.

Barry O'Hagan kicking the ball into the keepers hand in the drawn semi against Kerry.

Portlaoise dicving to an AI  Final in 2005.  Thankfully Stephenite made up for the pain of 1999  ;D that day.

Eoghan Gormley running us ragged in the Ulster Club in 1997.  We would have won 4 in a row AI's and then there would have been no questions as to who is the greatest.

Killeavey winning the minor league final against us in 1994.  It was our only under age defeat as a team ever at any age group...feckers >:(

Circa 1970 Mr Fitzgerald of Kerry and Mr Canavan of Ballygawley should have been sterilised :P

The Real Laoislad

Dublin being awarded a dodgey 45 and a free that never was in front of the Hill ::) in the last minutes of the Leinster Final 2005
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Billys Boots

Mick O'Connell falls ill in August 1968, and is unable to start in AI Semifinal against Longford, who go on to win comfortably in that game and also in the final against Down, setting the Midlands county on its unstoppable drive to the pinnacle of Gaelic Football success.  Longford finally overtook Kerry on the Roll of Honour with its 32nd title in 2002, beating Armagh 7-14 to 0-4, in a mismatched decider.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

realredhandfan

I think the attempt to get the suspension removed from Diramuid Marden on a technicality in late 2003 opened the door for fair game for  anyone to take a pot at the GAAs disciplinary system.. Sporrtsmanship suffered that day.

brokencrossbar1

Billy, are you on one of those chemical induced space trips that are in your blood or something? :P

Owenmoresider

Dara McGarty opts to go for goal when one-on-one with Benny Tierney in 2002.

Maybe the "big three" would have been Kerry, Sligo and Mayo then. :P