Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on December 17, 2008, 09:44:08 AM
Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on December 17, 2008, 07:36:23 AM
Quote from: supersub on December 17, 2008, 01:14:37 AM
john rafferty new manager of rostrevor apparently, any word on any other appointments?

Don't think so - he has recently taken over Errigal CiarĂ¡n.

Maybe I was a bit presumptous - just found this on Tyrone section

Quote from: EC Unique on December 16, 2008, 05:42:38 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on December 15, 2008, 08:49:37 PM
Quote from: midnightcaller on December 15, 2008, 06:26:23 PM
Anybody hear the rumour about Rafferty and Errigal.... Was it to good to be true?

Just heard that Rafferty turned Errigal down on fri,not sure of the reasons tho:)

This is true. He told the club that he had a re-think and decided to go back on his decision :-\.... Dissappointing but Im sure we will not be left managerless

he was deff appointed rostrevor manager as of yesterday, think he was even in rostrevor last night so i heard!

DownFanatic

Quote from: No1 on December 17, 2008, 03:46:47 PM
QuoteI don't know if anyone will know the answer to this but how many of the all conquering RGU teams of the late 80's/early 90's played Soccer as well as Gaelic?

DF, stick up a team sheet if you can and I'll have a go.  I'd say most of them played soccer with the exception of the Breens and the Deegans.

This was their squad from the 1990 Down SFC winning team:

R. Starkey, C. Deegan, M. O'Hare, B. Breen, P. Moore, K. Smyth, P. Smith, T.P. Louden, Paul Close, W. Fitzpatrick, P. Evans, J. McGrath.
J. ONeill, M. Bohill, S. Cahir, T. Slavin, M. Quinn, S. Quinn, S.Stockdale, J.Cunningham, P.Deeny.
G. Deegan, H. Rice, G. Breen.

No1

Not as many as I thought.  P. Moore, T.P. Louden, P.Close, W. Fitzpatrick, S.Stockdale and H. Rice are the only ones I would be sure of.

T.P was a budding burger eating champion back then aswell  ;D

Double Cross

Quote from: DownFanatic on December 17, 2008, 04:49:56 PM

R. Starkey, C. Deegan, M. O'Hare, B. Breen, P. Moore, K. Smyth, P. Smith, T.P. Louden, Paul Close, W. Fitzpatrick, P. Evans, J. McGrath.
J. ONeill, M. Bohill, S. Cahir, T. Slavin, M. Quinn, S. Quinn, S.Stockdale, J.Cunningham, P.Deeny.

Would that be Shay Quinn?

wobbller

Quote from: DownFanatic on December 17, 2008, 01:51:17 PM
Former Bright and Ardglass manager Kyran Smyth is the new man in charge of Downpatrick. There seems to be a big push on in the RGU to revitalise their fortunes at all levels. I see they are introducing a Juvenile Street League aswell.

In regards to the new League proposals, am I right in saying that they are not going to be introduced until 2010? If that's the case then this year, teams in Division 1 will be looking to finish in the top 10 to retain their status. Teams in Division 2 will be looking to avoid the bottom 4 to stay in Division 2 and similarly teams will be looking to avoid the bottom 4 in Division 3 to maintain that status for 2010.

Personally, I would have went ahead and introduced the new format for 2009. The sooner the better.

If it's going to be ten in Div 1 and 2,would there not be four dropping down from 1 to 2 and two then going up from Div 2   and six from  Div two to  Div 3  with two coming up from Div 3?  I am def. confused here.

Lecale2

Quote from: wobbller on December 17, 2008, 06:43:43 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on December 17, 2008, 01:51:17 PM
Former Bright and Ardglass manager Kyran Smyth is the new man in charge of Downpatrick. There seems to be a big push on in the RGU to revitalise their fortunes at all levels. I see they are introducing a Juvenile Street League aswell.

In regards to the new League proposals, am I right in saying that they are not going to be introduced until 2010? If that's the case then this year, teams in Division 1 will be looking to finish in the top 10 to retain their status. Teams in Division 2 will be looking to avoid the bottom 4 to stay in Division 2 and similarly teams will be looking to avoid the bottom 4 in Division 3 to maintain that status for 2010.

Personally, I would have went ahead and introduced the new format for 2009. The sooner the better.

If it's going to be ten in Div 1 and 2,would there not be four dropping down from 1 to 2 and two then going up from Div 2   and six from  Div two to  Div 3  with two coming up from Div 3?  I am def. confused here.

So am I. How many go up & down?

thewobbler

I'd imagine that the exact ramifications weren't released pre-convention on purpose, as it'd never have gone through.

There's some clubs in for an awful shake-up in the not too distant future.

DownFanatic

Just heard on the vine that grows grapes that Pete McGrath is the new Bryansford manager

Super Dupe

The logical solution would be that 3 teams are relegated from Div 1 with only 1 being promoted.  This is likely to give a better balance between the two divisions than 4 teams down and 2 up.

Div 2 could then have possibly 5 going down (five teams relegated, christ thats wild), with only 1 going up from Div 3.

I reckon this is the way the co board will proceed this year.  It will be extremely difficult to get promoted this year to Div 1 or 2, but a helluva lot easier to get relegated.

off the laces

Quote from: DownFanatic on December 17, 2008, 04:49:56 PM
Quote from: No1 on December 17, 2008, 03:46:47 PM
QuoteI don't know if anyone will know the answer to this but how many of the all conquering RGU teams of the late 80's/early 90's played Soccer as well as Gaelic?

DF, stick up a team sheet if you can and I'll have a go.  I'd say most of them played soccer with the exception of the Breens and the Deegans.

seamie cahir played for dpk celts
Keeps 'er' straight

NedFlanders

Can anyone confirm the appointment of Pete McGrath to Bryansford?

stiff breeze

As regards the changes to be made to the set up of div 1-4 would it not make more sense to make the changes over a period of two seasons rather than over one,  starting this season?

Lecale2

Why would you do it over 2 seasons?

real food, real people

has the down mckenna cup squad been announced?

stiff breeze

Quote from: Lecale2 on December 19, 2008, 08:32:50 AM
Why would you do it over 2 seasons?

For the simple reason it would be alot fairer to teams. Rather than having a large number dropping from each division for example,  4 going down from division 1 with two going up from division 2 , then 6 going down to division3 with 2 coming up and so forth . Why not have only 2 going down with one coming up and the same the following year.