Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Open yer eyes Man

I see that members of the Down County Board are concerned enough to read what is going on here and even to post on their 'New' Down website about our views on the changes to it.

This has been taken from the Down website:

Some things can change – with your help - Details required for Down GAA Website
 Date : 16/12/2008 15:35  
The new website is now up and running and it is down to club and county officials as well as Down GAA Gaels to supply the information.

When you look at various discussion boards a number of posters complain about not enough info, results, fixtures etc appearing on the website - the reason certain info does not appear is as a result of someone not sending it in for inclusion.

Why does one club have their club note on the website and another club does not
– ANSWER they submitted the info the other club did not.  

Why do results for last weekends games not appear on the website
– ANSWER the results were not sent in either by the relevant committee, club and or referee.

To submit your club notes click on
submit info
Club Notes
and enter the club news in the relevant section – please make sure you title the notes with a date and also please make sure you choose your club.  

If you want to supply a report on a certain match – click on
submit info
Match Reports
and enter the Match report in the relevant section – please make sure you title the report and put in the correct score

If you want to supply photos click on
submit info
Photos
and upload your photos – make sure you label each photos

To submit your county information click on
submit info
Club Notes (over the coming weeks we will can County Notes)
and enter the county information in the relevant section – please make sure you title the notes and include the codes – ie Football, Hurling, Ladies Football, Camogie, Handball, Scor, Schools etc.  

For Results and Fixtures – The results and fixtures section has always been under the control of the relevant fixture body and not the county PRO – ie CCC, South Down, East Down, Camogie Board, Ladies Football Board etc – and it is up the them to supply the info
– if it does not appear on the website, It is because they have not supplied it to the website – Now they may not be able to supply results if a club and/or referee has not supplied them with the result
Over the coming months we hope to train ALL referees in the new facility where they text in the results straight after a game and the results automatically appear on the website.

The success of this website is down to you – supply the information and we will have a site which has all the info people request and want - please feel free to contact the County PRO pro@down.gaa.ie for more information, or to suggest other areas for improvements - YOU CAN HAVE YOUR SAY.

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: thewobbler on December 16, 2008, 09:07:46 AM
Open yer eyes man, it wouldn't be a good idea for a message board on the Down site. These things require moderation, and Down GAA just wouldn't have the resources to actively moderate it.

It only takes one slanderous comment for a forum like that to get closed down, so it ain't worth your while building one.

I appreciate what you are saying about slanderous comments but if it is moderated effectively then this won't happen.

How do other county's manage to do this?

Downgael2008

had a look at the year book today, have to say fair play to diarmuid another excellent publication with great photos, reports and articles. Maybe next year we ll have more to cheer on the senior football front ??

thewobbler

Content is king on a website and if Downgaa.net can get enough contributors, it'll be a success. I imagine it'll do well.

From a design perspective though, while this sportsmanager.ie crowd seem to have produced a very nice piece of software for collating fixtures and results, they're very obviously not as strong at web design and development.  First of all, I hope they find a way to remove the frames. There isn't much point in having all this content if you're going to force everyone through the front door. A few page descriptions would be nice as well. The date range tool will be a great thing to have, but half the site is currently a date range tool and much else.

supersub

john rafferty new manager of rostrevor apparently, any word on any other appointments?

Lecale2

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: supersub on December 17, 2008, 01:14:37 AM
john rafferty new manager of rostrevor apparently, any word on any other appointments?

Don't think so - he has recently taken over Errigal Ciarán.

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on December 17, 2008, 07:36:23 AM
Quote from: supersub on December 17, 2008, 01:14:37 AM

Don't think so - he has recently taken over Errigal Ciarán.

Maybe I was a bit presumptous - just found this on Tyrone section

Quote from: EC Unique on December 16, 2008, 05:42:38 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on December 15, 2008, 08:49:37 PM
Quote from: midnightcaller on December 15, 2008, 06:26:23 PM
Anybody hear the rumour about Rafferty and Errigal.... Was it to good to be true?

Just heard that Rafferty turned Errigal down on fri,not sure of the reasons tho:)

This is true. He told the club that he had a re-think and decided to go back on his decision :-\.... Dissappointing but Im sure we will not be left managerless

Square Ball

Quote from: Bacon on December 15, 2008, 08:33:04 AM
Square Ball - was the motion from Bredagh to change the Hurling Championship passed?

referred to the CCC
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

DownFanatic

Former Bright and Ardglass manager Kyran Smyth is the new man in charge of Downpatrick. There seems to be a big push on in the RGU to revitalise their fortunes at all levels. I see they are introducing a Juvenile Street League aswell.

In regards to the new League proposals, am I right in saying that they are not going to be introduced until 2010? If that's the case then this year, teams in Division 1 will be looking to finish in the top 10 to retain their status. Teams in Division 2 will be looking to avoid the bottom 4 to stay in Division 2 and similarly teams will be looking to avoid the bottom 4 in Division 3 to maintain that status for 2010.

Personally, I would have went ahead and introduced the new format for 2009. The sooner the better.

gorm agus bui

Quote from: DownFanatic on December 17, 2008, 01:51:17 PM
Former Bright and Ardglass manager Kyran Smyth is the new man in charge of Downpatrick. There seems to be a big push on in the RGU to revitalise their fortunes at all levels. I see they are introducing a Juvenile Street League aswell.

In regards to the new League proposals, am I right in saying that they are not going to be introduced until 2010? If that's the case then this year, teams in Division 1 will be looking to finish in the top 10 to retain their status. Teams in Division 2 will be looking to avoid the bottom 4 to stay in Division 2 and similarly teams will be looking to avoid the bottom 4 in Division 3 to maintain that status for 2010.

Personally, I would have went ahead and introduced the new format for 2009. The sooner the better.

Yes at last some in Downpatrick are taking the bull by the horns and tackling their demise.
The Street leagues will be a great bonus if they get the support they deserve. Good bunch of lads involved at getting things moving again. I know that people speak highly of the efforts of the likes of Kieran Cunningham, Collie Quinn, Eamon Hogan and Richard Starkey who have been pushing the juvenie end of the things.
But I would not imagine there will be an immediate return on their efforts.
K Smyth is an interesting appointment after the good work he did at Ardglass. He has a fair bit of talent to work with but lets see how the players respond

DownFanatic

Quote from: gorm agus bui on December 17, 2008, 02:40:35 PM

Yes at last some in Downpatrick are taking the bull by the horns and tackling their demise.
The Street leagues will be a great bonus if they get the support they deserve. Good bunch of lads involved at getting things moving again. I know that people speak highly of the efforts of the likes of Kieran Cunningham, Collie Quinn, Eamon Hogan and Richard Starkey who have been pushing the juvenie end of the things.
But I would not imagine there will be an immediate return on their efforts.
K Smyth is an interesting appointment after the good work he did at Ardglass. He has a fair bit of talent to work with but lets see how the players respond

Gorm, its great to see this rejuvenating work being done but as you say, these improvements mighn't necessarilly see immediate returns. I went to school in Downpatrick for 7 years and during my time there I witnessed so many talented Gaelic footballers from the town quit due to a greater love of soccer. In my opinion Soccer is the main reason why the RGU's Senior team has fallen by the wayside. Id say that this Senior team has the highest percentage of dual players (in that I mean Gaelic and Soccer) in any Senior team in Down.
Downpatrick have huge potential. For instance, in what has been considered a lean period for them this past few years, they have still managed to covet two IFC's. Now, as the RGU's proud tradition dictates, this may be seen as an underachievement. However, from what Ive seen this current crop of players seems relatively young and definitely could do something in the next few years. Yet, if the majority of players keep up their Soccer playing past times then I just cant see how their Senior team will progress.
I don't know if anyone will know the answer to this but how many of the all conquering RGU teams of the late 80's/early 90's played Soccer as well as Gaelic?

An Cloch Scoilte

The County Convention wouldn't have had the power to do that.

At the start of the 08 season teams were aware that the play off system was in place and it was a 2 up 2 down league system.

If they county board had of changed this to a new ten team league structure, it would have been shifting the goalposts somewhat, which wouldn't have been fair.

NedFlanders

Stephen Poacher confirmed as the new manager of Án Ríocht! Any thoughts on the appointment lads?

No1

QuoteI don't know if anyone will know the answer to this but how many of the all conquering RGU teams of the late 80's/early 90's played Soccer as well as Gaelic?

DF, stick up a team sheet if you can and I'll have a go.  I'd say most of them played soccer with the exception of the Breens and the Deegans.