Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Jinxy on August 25, 2014, 11:12:35 PM
Personally I think the Mayo fans we are looking at this all wrong.
Treat it like a bit of an adventure.

FYP
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on August 26, 2014, 12:42:30 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/o-neill-rules-out-moving-venue-for-semi-final-replay-1.1907466

"I'm sure that Mayo are long enough in the game at this level to know that it's in their best interests to get on with it and play the game and qualify for the final and hopefully, for them, end their barren spell."

How patronising does that sound?

Pretty close to this

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2014/0401/606068-oneill-denies-comments-were-insulting/
He added: "Paraic Duffy and I are as conservative and traditional as you will get in the GAA. We are looking at a package here that will satisfy the broad group of people that we are trying to satisfy. "Those that want to constantly refer to those that won't get to see those games will harp on and quite frankly you couldn't please everybody anyway and that's the nature of it.

They are really shit at communicating their decisions to their customer base 
O'Neill needs a large dúthracht injection

galwayman

I genuinely can't see anything other than a Mayo win on Saturday.
Unlike most counties - Kerry are generally always there or thereabouts no matter how many new players are being blooded.
The word transition doesn't seem to be in their vocabulary.
But I think Mayo have the stronger 15 at this moment in time.When they get their running game from deep going they are relentless and very difficult to stop.
Kerry weren't able to deal with that for long periods of the second half even with the extra man (albeit they used the extra player poorly which seems to happen a lot to teams who are a man up).
The one worry for Mayo is the lack of impact off the bench.

I do think there will be a plan in place for Donaghy this time though and he will be matched up with somebody who can compete with him in the air.

seafoid

I would sack whoever the GAA's PR advisor is

This is how to do it

"It is not complicated. Any half-competent flak knows the drill. Own the bad news. Make sure colleagues and partners are prepared; go public quickly, clearly, and completely; be accountable; be available. Candour is a sign of respect."

They could easily issue a press release saying they didn't expect the draw and will look at how to ensure the problem doesn't recur in future
but instead they go down the "A Mhaicin" route.   

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 25, 2014, 03:13:34 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 25, 2014, 02:24:58 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 25, 2014, 12:40:38 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 25, 2014, 11:45:51 AM
As for Limerick? I wouldn't care if it was in Killarney, Kerry had their chance yesterday and blew it.

hmmm...wouldn't be too sure about that. We were not the ones that were 5 points up with 5 mins to go.

We undoubtedly should have done better with the extra man but some of you lads seem to be jumping to some hasty conclusions and ignoring the historical evidence  of the "advantage" conferred by the extra man in gaelic games. This is not soccer you know!

I think Mayo are better but we definitely haven't "blown" anything.

Mayo play a game built on high up the field pressure, they are literally the one team at this stage of the championship that can do without a player to make that happen. They go man-to-man and without one man it left Kerry with options to move the ball. Did Kerry win 50% of their own kickouts in the second half? Maybe, just about! Thats why Kerry have blown it

Yeah, your right of course. What was I thinking. Of course Mayo will now win the replay. They almost won with 14 men so its a definite that they'll win the next day with 15. Football is such a simple game when you get down to it.

You can be as blaze as you want Mike but Kerry had a great chance on Sunday to upset the odds and didnt take it.
Fitzmaurice gets lauded as a tactical genius, almost the opposite to Horan, whos in game management is perceived as poor.
Mossy Quinn made the point that Mayo were lucky Keegans sending off my two minutes before half time and not two minutes after. Absolutely true, Mayo got a chance to go in at half time and come up with a clear plan.
BUT Kerry had the exact same opportunity, they knew they'd have an extra man for the second half, surely the first thing you talk about is kick outs and primary possession???
Not even when it was going pear shaped in the second half did Fitzmaurice do anything about it, other than to bring on a half fit Sheehan

screenexile

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 26, 2014, 09:45:42 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 25, 2014, 03:13:34 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 25, 2014, 02:24:58 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 25, 2014, 12:40:38 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 25, 2014, 11:45:51 AM
As for Limerick? I wouldn't care if it was in Killarney, Kerry had their chance yesterday and blew it.

hmmm...wouldn't be too sure about that. We were not the ones that were 5 points up with 5 mins to go.

We undoubtedly should have done better with the extra man but some of you lads seem to be jumping to some hasty conclusions and ignoring the historical evidence  of the "advantage" conferred by the extra man in gaelic games. This is not soccer you know!

I think Mayo are better but we definitely haven't "blown" anything.

Mayo play a game built on high up the field pressure, they are literally the one team at this stage of the championship that can do without a player to make that happen. They go man-to-man and without one man it left Kerry with options to move the ball. Did Kerry win 50% of their own kickouts in the second half? Maybe, just about! Thats why Kerry have blown it

Yeah, your right of course. What was I thinking. Of course Mayo will now win the replay. They almost won with 14 men so its a definite that they'll win the next day with 15. Football is such a simple game when you get down to it.

You can be as blaze as you want Mike but Kerry had a great chance on Sunday to upset the odds and didnt take it.
Fitzmaurice gets lauded as a tactical genius, almost the opposite to Horan, whos in game management is perceived as poor.
Mossy Quinn made the point that Mayo were lucky Keegans sending off my two minutes before half time and not two minutes after. Absolutely true, Mayo got a chance to go in at half time and come up with a clear plan.
BUT Kerry had the exact same opportunity, they knew they'd have an extra man for the second half, surely the first thing you talk about is kick outs and primary possession???
Not even when it was going pear shaped in the second half did Fitzmaurice do anything about it, other than to bring on a half fit Sheehan

Sorry were you watching a different game from the rest of us?

Fitzmaurice brought on Donaghy, BJ Keane & O'Leary in the last 10 minutes and they all had an impact on the result!!

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Very impressed with James O Donoghue. Better than the hype if that s possible. Martín McHugh could yet be proved right if he s lucky with injuries over the years.
Kerry were better too around than I thought they would be. I did not rate Moran that highly before but thought he was excellent on Sunday. Walsh has stepped up since the Galacticos have moved on and actually has turned into an annoying shite for the opposition.
New lads (to me anyway) like the Geaneys, Crowley and Fitzgerald were very impressive also. The idea that Kerry would have to do a transition period is silly to begin with anyway.
Add in a rejuvenated Donaghy and Kerry have a lot going for them. First big test they ve got and they survived, expecting them to push on from that. The p
endulum may well be about to swing in their favour.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 26, 2014, 09:52:05 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 25, 2014, 11:11:11 PM
Did Donaghy throw the ball for O'Donoghue's goal?

Anyone?

Very quick hands. It looked dodgy ( not sure it was a closed fist) but hardly a throw? I d have to see it again but he d have been very unlucky to get hauled back for something like that.

Canalman

Really looking forward to the Gridiron on Saturday night. Papers say 60,000+ attendance expected. Should be a great buzz about town all weekend with the semi f on the following day.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: screenexile on August 26, 2014, 09:51:43 AM

Fitzmaurice brought on Donaghy, BJ Keane & O'Leary in the last 10 minutes and they all had an impact on the result!!

BJK did very little, caught one ball maybe, fair enough O'Leary got the point but bringing on Donaghy is hardly tactical genius "em we're five points down, I know lets bring on the big lad and lump it in" GAA management 1.01. The other half an hour is the bit I'm talking about

screenexile

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 26, 2014, 10:00:11 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 26, 2014, 09:51:43 AM

BJK did very little, caught one ball maybe, fair enough O'Leary got the point but bringing on Donaghy is hardly tactical genius "em we're five points down, I know lets bring on the big lad and lump it in" GAA management 1.01. The other half an hour is the bit I'm talking about

The team were 5 points down and the managements changes directly influenced Kerry getting back into the game. If that's not good management I don't know what is.

Truth be told Kerry had a better chance to win the game than Mayo at the death with O'Donoghue's wide. Mayo's chance fell to a defender who fluffed it. Great game though looking forward to the replay next week.

Sidney

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 26, 2014, 09:03:02 AM

This is a bizarre post. I thought O'Donoghue was superb on Sunday. 1-3 from play even though he was tightly shackled by the excellent Keith Higgins and with Mayo double teaming him by dropping a sweeper in front. He showed and won nearly every ball that came his way despite shipping plenty of heavy tackles in the process. I personally think he enhanced his reputation on Sunday. As if great players have never missed opportunities from time to time. Of course he hasn't been around long enough to compare to Gooch, but to make that assessment after his performance on Sunday as if he fluffed his lines completely is just unfair.
Good as O'Donoghue is, and he's pure class and the best forward in the game, you can only compare him to Cooper against what both had done by the same age. O'Donoghue is 24 now and has done a hell of a lot in his four seasons, but Cooper had still done more by that age.

Tubberman

Quote from: Canalman on August 26, 2014, 09:58:47 AM
Really looking forward to the Gridiron on Saturday night. Papers say 60,000+ attendance expected. Should be a great buzz about town all weekend with the semi f on the following day.

Wrong thread buddy
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."