Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Mayo supporters will be there in huge numbers and in huge voice.
But there's not a bit of harm in letting the GAA head honchos in Croke Park know that we're not happy with the handling of this - it's been a shambles in a year of f**k ups from them.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Ballaghman

Quote from: Tubberman on August 25, 2014, 11:27:47 PM
Mayo supporters will be there in huge numbers and in huge voice.
But there's not a bit of harm in letting the GAA head honchos in Croke Park know that we're not happy with the handling of this - it's been a shambles in a year of f**k ups from them.

That sums it up well. We'll be grand and everyone will get on with it but the men in suits need to know that this hasn't gone down well with either county (there seems to be a case of short-term memory loss with people or else they didn't hear Fitzmaurice express his confusion and disappointment with the decision).
The journey to Dublin is definitely easier for most of us. With all due respect to our Galway neighbours, most of you don't have to pass through Tuam or claregalway etc and I haven't seen galway hurlers fill the Gaelic grounds lately. It will be packed on Saturday as the sun may shine and some kerry fans might bother their holes to go to this one as it's beside them. We as usual will travel in big numbers.
The Mayo squad are getting on with it as we immediately heard from Cillian in his post match interview, that's the main thing. So what if the fans do a bit of whinging, no point changing the habit of a lifetime now!

Ballaghman

Quote from: ONeill on August 25, 2014, 10:08:35 PM
As much as I love Mayo, Aidan O'Shea is starting to irk me.

Remember the embarrassing play-acting in the semi last year. This year the imaginary card waving. He'll be biting people next and wearing sarongs.
You must have loved Donnacha Walsh's little jig to help get keegan sent off so, don't know how buckley is still walking! I agree it's not the best form to do it but as I've said in an earlier post, he was finding it near impossible to win frees with fellas hanging out of him. I hope the ref wises up to this cynical Kerry play the next day and allows Mayo to play it's naive, expressive brand of football, the way it's meant to be.
Alright the last bit was in jest but Kerry are as cynical a team as you will meet and they get away with so much of it because of this holier than thou image they've built up. A smarter ref than coldrick would have spotted the constant fouling and slowing down of play and not assumed Mayo are the only ones capable of the dark arts.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 25, 2014, 11:16:51 PM
I still think we let it slip :(

Of course we did. Colm Boyle s expression said it all at the end. Boyler will do it all again despite the disappointment and the rest as well will too, to  have any chance in Limerick. The game is in Limerick and getting there and back is going to be a nightmare but we re well used to those.

I m surprised by the upbeat nature of some Mayo fans and the nod that some neutrals are giving us for replay.

I was fearing a bit before Sunday and I think the replay is Kerry s to lose. I know I ll be accused of over analysing again but f**k it.

All the good things we did have already been covered and I go along completely with that. We had a heroic performance for half and hour. But the rest?  I was expecting a bit of a peak but the first half had all that was wrong with us all year. Turnovers killed us again.

The response in second half was something I never saw coming at ht. 5 points up with a few minutes ago should have been enough though. I feel the lads that got us in that position were let down. Before the Kerry goal I was screaming into a brother s ear that we needed to drop either Aidan or Seamie back on Donaghy. It might not be a Corinthian approach but no shame trying to close out a 5 point lead with just minutes to go. Caff - who hasn t been right all year anyway - may as well have been in a chair by then. The line has a lot to deal with I know but I can t imagine Donaghy being allowed to do that against anybody else. 8 years on I couldn t believe that was allowed happen again.

Donegal - well McGee would probably cope anyway but Murphy would be back there if he was needed.
Dublin - O Carroll would deal with it.
Cork- Cadogan would be dismembering him.
Tyrone never had a problem with him.

Keegan sending off. Silly by Keegan and harsh by can t really complain. He had a similar petulant moment with Cregg v Ros and got away with it. Kerry would have noted that and got the reaction. Even Walsh's reaction looked choreographed and while I m sure it was out of character for Walsh, wasshameful. But Keegan s problem for reacting. But we still have a lot to learn about ruthlessness and doing what ever it takes to get a top opponent sent off and keeping our own on the field.

I ve already commented on the location of the replay. I ll just say that some of us have been pouring over maps. We ve come up with pincer journeys to Limerick that Guderian would be proud of. Limerick via Athlone is not being ruled out.

muppet

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/o-neill-rules-out-moving-venue-for-semi-final-replay-1.1907466

"I'm sure that Mayo are long enough in the game at this level to know that it's in their best interests to get on with it and play the game and qualify for the final and hopefully, for them, end their barren spell."

How patronising does that sound?
MWWSI 2017

bucko

Not sure I'd agree it's Kerry's to lose. To my mind our poor first half showing was down to us setting up in a way completely at odds to how we've been playing for the last 2-3 years. We actually didn't defend that badly in that period, but our attacks just didn't cut it in the second quarter. Playing 2 men inside needs a consistently good long kick passing game which we haven't had for a while. When we started running in the first half we still held numbers back which ended up with AOS, McLoughlin and one or two others carrying into the Kerry blanket and getting turned over or taking shots from bad positions under pressure. Result being we only converted 5 out of 12 scoring chances in the first half.

Its strange but the pattern of Sundays game wasn't a million miles away from the Cork game. Lethargic first half, struggling to deal with opposition defensive tactics, up the tempo in the second half, establish a healthy lead. then drop off toward the end allowing the opposition to come back at us. The only difference was that against Cork we were level with them at half time as opposed to being 4 points down, going out to 5 just after the re start. Our second half surge then came and we basically engineered a 10 point turnaround to lead by 5 with 5 minutes to go. Coughing up that lead was disappointing and Donaghy should/could have been dealt with better. My point being we played our high tempo game for a longer period than the Cork game, Kerry couldn't cope with it and we notched up 1-11 in one half which is impressive going. If we can sort out our first half performance issues I reckon we'll be be in a pretty good place.

moysider

Quote from: muppet on August 26, 2014, 12:42:30 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/o-neill-rules-out-moving-venue-for-semi-final-replay-1.1907466

"I'm sure that Mayo are long enough in the game at this level to know that it's in their best interests to get on with it and play the game and qualify for the final and hopefully, for them, end their barren spell."

That s a disgraceful comment to make. The condescending little ****.
Croke Park is a tough day for a lot of counties. But at least there is a consistency there. The last AI semi outside Dublin was in 83? Frank Murphy was powerful enough to get/suggest replay in Caoimh. Dubs called bluff and handed Cork their arses.
But this is completely different. This is a p**h*k of the highest order. The lack of respect/ savvy there is beyond belief.
The **** should be more worried a obout football teams that don't have any spells - the bollix

He might look at the Hurling too.

magpie seanie

I think Mayo people are right to highlight what a disgrace this is. It won't have any impact on the team's preparation but the guys making the decisions in Croke Park need to get some heat about this. It's no harm to keep the storm going.

Liam O'Neill's comments are typical of his approach. We should all just sit at our desks and be good little boys and girls.

seafoid

That is very poor.

Mayo and Kerry- will you go outside please and play with your toys . We have Americans visiting the house in a few minutes and we don't want any children around.  You'll understand when you are older. That's the why.

Farrandeelin

Not nice. You never know though, all the head honchos seem agin us. It would be a bit of motivation. Up Mayo and f**k the headmen!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

After the game on Sunday, is it fair to say JOD isn't good enough yet to be considered in the same category as Gooch?? He fluffed a 2 on 1 goal chance by blazing it over the bar and then missed a handy point at the end which hit the outside of the post. If he had scored either, Kerry would be in the final. He's still a class player and 1-3 from play in an AISF but if he's measured against the best, he's not quite there yet.

thewobbler

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 26, 2014, 07:44:42 AM
After the game on Sunday, is it fair to say JOD isn't good enough yet to be considered in the same category as Gooch?? He fluffed a 2 on 1 goal chance by blazing it over the bar and then missed a handy point at the end which hit the outside of the post. If he had scored either, Kerry would be in the final. He's still a class player and 1-3 from play in an AISF but if he's measured against the best, he's not quite there yet.

Gooch is up there with the very greatest players of all time. It should take more than a few flurries in the Munster Championship to be considered in the same category.

Halfquarter

O'Neill is wrong and he knows that he is wrong, all his bluster is not helping his cause.
Much better to listen to Thomas O'Shea, he is the only one being honest here.

Dont Matter

Mayo and Kerry have to go to Limerick, if it was Mayo v Donegal in the same situation they wouldn't be playing in Croke Park either. It would be the same if it was Kerry v Donegal but if it was any of those teams v Dubl$n there'd be zero chance they'd be playing anywhere else but Croke Park.
The boys in HQ have once again proven that money is far more important to them than the needs and wants of ordinary GAA men and women.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

BennyHarp

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 26, 2014, 07:44:42 AM

This is a bizarre post. I thought O'Donoghue was superb on Sunday. 1-3 from play even though he was tightly shackled by the excellent Keith Higgins and with Mayo double teaming him by dropping a sweeper in front. He showed and won nearly every ball that came his way despite shipping plenty of heavy tackles in the process. I personally think he enhanced his reputation on Sunday. As if great players have never missed opportunities from time to time. Of course he hasn't been around long enough to compare to Gooch, but to make that assessment after his performance on Sunday as if he fluffed his lines completely is just unfair.
That was never a square ball!!