Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on August 25, 2014, 11:35:12 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 25, 2014, 11:33:21 AM
If you put the ref in the position where he has to make a decision, the only decision he can make is to give a red card.
That is the sanction for the offence which Keegan committed.
Pointing out other offences from other games where players should have received red cards but didn't, is neither here nor there.
The question though is did Keegan actually attempt to kick Buckley?
If he was really trying to kick him, he'd hardly have missed

What was he trying to do? He kicked out.

theticklemister

I thought David Coldrick had a fantastic game yesterday, no joke. He was consistent in everything he did.

yellowcard

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 25, 2014, 11:29:16 AM
It was Lee Keegan's kick out that saw him  sent off. Donnacha Walsh didn't help the situation, but you can't keep blaming everyone else and I'm sure Lee Keegan wouldn't be blaming someone else either.

I said at the time it might be a red, but I was hoping it would just be a yellow, and it would be interpreted as pushing and shoving. Coldrick obviously saw it and decided to apply the letter of the law.

By the same token then if he had applied the letter of the law then O'Connor would have had a penalty for the tug on his arm by the Kerry keeper in the first half. However he made the correct decision there imo by not awarding a penalty as contact was minimal.

AZOffaly

I thought that was a peno :) But that's because I was a corner forward.

Mayo4Sam

What a rollercoaster yesterday, probably the most unbelievable, unpredictable day yet and thats saying something with Mayo. As good an atmosphere as I've seen too since the day Fermanagh and ourselves beat Tyrone & Armagh in '04.

At half time I thought it was all over, I couldnt see how Mayo could work their high pressing game with a man less, I was envisaging 2011 all over where we'd get to 3/4 points and then it would be tit for tat for the rest of the game, this Mayo team is different, very experienced and a huge appetite for hard work, animals.

Could have won it, could have lost it, I was very relieved at the end, when they got the goal we were dead on our feet. Cunniffes point would have won it but equally and probably more so JOD had two chances and missed both.

Keegan gave the ref no option. What Mayo should be focussing on is the way Donnacha Walsh targetted Keegan, dirty digs all day long, Mayo need to be cuter, top teams face this and cant react.
Kerry went out yesterday and systematically foulded Mayo high up the pitch, forcing us to kick rather than use our running game, that had a huge impact on us in the first half. The second we rode more challenges and just didnt go down to these fouls. Whoever the ref is the next day should be told watch it, not in the press but a quiet word before the match would go a long way.

Coldrick rode us yesterday in the first half, soft frees for Kerry (the one against cunniffe at about 25 mins in particular), outside of the red, second half gave us a lot. Didnt think COC deserved a penalty, thought freeman should have flat out gone down when he was dragged at the start of the second half, instead he got a poor shot away.

Epic performances yesterday by Higgins, Boyler (my MOTM), AOS, Andy and especially Dillon. Good performance too by Horan as well. Subs pretty much all worked, who knew Conroy could run like that? The game was crying out for Feeney but theres no good going over that again.

As for Limerick? I wouldn't care if it was in Killarney, Kerry had their chance yesterday and blew it.

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

yellowcard

Quote from: theticklemister on August 25, 2014, 11:37:28 AM
I thought David Coldrick had a fantastic game yesterday, no joke. He was consistent in everything he did.

I'd agree with that as well apart from the sending off where he should have showed a bit of common sense and produced a yellow card. He got most decisions correct and contributed to the best game of football that we have seen all year. 

Chimley

That was nail-biting stuff. From where I was sat it became obvious that Mayo had burned themselves out by the end and we were very lucky to get away without losing altogether. 6 days is a short enough turnaround to recover for another go.

In a way you'd feel sorry for Freeman and Gibbons who will be scapegoated as there was a general malaise throughout the team in the first half but we'll hopefully see a 70 minute performance the next day or at least a better balanced effort.

rosnarun

if Coldrick was actually being consistent Buckley should have been sent off too as punched Keegan.  and as yellow card saidm the 'minimal contact for Oc onnors penallty . both would have been harsh but isnt that what we are talking about/

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jinxy

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 25, 2014, 11:41:40 AM
If you put the ref in the position where he has to make a decision, the only decision he can make is to give a red card.
Pointing out other offences from other games where players should have received red cards but didn't, is neither here nor there.

Well said Mr. Meath!

And I say all this despite the fact that I'm an honorary Mayo fan.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

theticklemister

I thought o Connor slipped for that, no doubt in my mind it was not a penalty.

Chimley

Quote from: theticklemister on August 25, 2014, 12:18:10 PM
I thought o Connor slipped for that, no doubt in my mind it was not a penalty.

Correct. Never a penalty. I was close to this incident and he was off balance and slipped. He may have been anticipating contact from the keeper.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 25, 2014, 11:45:51 AM
As for Limerick? I wouldn't care if it was in Killarney, Kerry had their chance yesterday and blew it.

hmmm...wouldn't be too sure about that. We were not the ones that were 5 points up with 5 mins to go.

We undoubtedly should have done better with the extra man but some of you lads seem to be jumping to some hasty conclusions and ignoring the historical evidence  of the "advantage" conferred by the extra man in gaelic games. This is not soccer you know!

I think Mayo are better but we definitely haven't "blown" anything.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on August 25, 2014, 12:15:25 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 25, 2014, 11:41:40 AM

Well said Mr. Meath!

And I say all this despite the fact that I'm an honorary Mayo fan.
We should organise a conference. In Limerick.   

AZOffaly

Fair enough, I withdraw my 'talking shite' in this instance. I was going by what blast05 said.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.