R2 Qualifier Tyrone v Armagh

Started by ONeill, June 28, 2014, 07:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: tiempo on July 11, 2014, 02:01:52 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 11, 2014, 12:51:04 PM
Richie Donnelly wasn't making the UUJ team this year, they had a lot of big names, but he would want to be starting at that level if he to be the answer for Tyrone..

Mark McHugh wasn't making the UUJ Sigerson team the year he won the All-Ireland with Donegal. Ricey never played county minor or U21. The players are out there, its about finding them and developing them, and of course they must be ready and willing to give it everything. Mugsy said in his book he got the impression some players were only along for the ride. Suppose that's what you're up against too.

He was in Sligo IT and was making the team, he had been in NUI for one year but didn't make the freshers team. Im not that concerned about Tyrone to be honest, just saw Donnellys name mentioned.

God14

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 11, 2014, 02:08:28 PM
Quote from: tiempo on July 11, 2014, 02:01:52 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 11, 2014, 12:51:04 PM
Richie Donnelly wasn't making the UUJ team this year, they had a lot of big names, but he would want to be starting at that level if he to be the answer for Tyrone..

Mark McHugh wasn't making the UUJ Sigerson team the year he won the All-Ireland with Donegal. Ricey never played county minor or U21. The players are out there, its about finding them and developing them, and of course they must be ready and willing to give it everything. Mugsy said in his book he got the impression some players were only along for the ride. Suppose that's what you're up against too.

He was in Sligo IT and was making the team, he had been in NUI for one year but didn't make the freshers team. Im not that concerned about Tyrone to be honest, just saw Donnellys name mentioned.

Rodney, for what its worth Donnelly was only returning from an injury when Sigerson commenced. The same injury also meant he missed trails for the county last December. Any how enough about 1 footballer, that was just one name I casually dropped, the greater point I was trying to make was that there is loads of talent in the County. Mickey Harte has as good as, if not better pick than any other manager in Ulster. In my opinion Mickey has too many favourites taking up places on the panel. We need fresh eyes on it at this stage

Fuzzman

Ronan didn't play in the first game v Down and played OK before being taken off at half time in the replay.

He was very well marked v Monaghan, with poor ball being hit into him, as was SoN and McCurry and in games v teams like Monaghan and Donegal all forwards will struggle to get space.

He didn't play at all v Louth so he's not exactly been given much of a chance compared to Emmet McKenna who many would say is not half the player of Ronan albeit a different style of player. This is my point though. Mickey likes athletes that will run and work hard all day like McGinley as well. Not bad players but I think we've got better.

My point is Coney and Ronan are 2 of our top score getters and like lots of forwards they thrive on confidence and people showing belief in them. They don't have that now so there's far more pressure on them to perform when they do get on.

I'm actually glad to Stevie being held back though as better to take him on that take him off.
I wonder will Morgan be hitting Justy for the kick outs now at wing back?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 11, 2014, 02:23:03 PM
Ronan didn't play in the first game v Down and played OK before being taken off at half time in the replay.

He was very well marked v Monaghan, with poor ball being hit into him, as was SoN and McCurry and in games v teams like Monaghan and Donegal all forwards will struggle to get space.

He didn't play at all v Louth so he's not exactly been given much of a chance compared to Emmet McKenna who many would say is not half the player of Ronan albeit a different style of player. This is my point though. Mickey likes athletes that will run and work hard all day like McGinley as well. Not bad players but I think we've got better.

My point is Coney and Ronan are 2 of our top score getters and like lots of forwards they thrive on confidence and people showing belief in them. They don't have that now so there's far more pressure on them to perform when they do get on.

I'm actually glad to Stevie being held back though as better to take him on that take him off.

As I say its coneys 3rd start of the championship and he's started a lot of league games so faith is being shown on him. On the one hand people want Harte to play players who aren't playing well so that they will improve with games while on the other they are criticising him for sticking with McKenna who is new and young and he clearly believes in.

Anyway it's the height of the championship and not a time to be worrying about getting rid of managers. Instead the focus should be on firing it into armagh on Sunday and keeping local pride. Armagh fans are very quiet at the minute but believe me that'll all change on Sunday with a win. Hopefully our boys have something to say about it.

nrico2006

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 11, 2014, 04:04:54 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 11, 2014, 02:23:03 PM

As I say its coneys 3rd start of the championship and he's started a lot of league games so faith is being shown on him. On the one hand people want Harte to play players who aren't playing well so that they will improve with games while on the other they are criticising him for sticking with McKenna who is new and young and he clearly believes in.

Anyway it's the height of the championship and not a time to be worrying about getting rid of managers. Instead the focus should be on firing it into armagh on Sunday and keeping local pride. Armagh fans are very quiet at the minute but believe me that'll all change on Sunday with a win. Hopefully our boys have something to say about it.

Coney didn't feature too much in the league this year.  I think another big problem is the attackmindness of the half back line.  McNabb, Donnelly and Harte are three excellent players but seemingly are thinking of going forward first and foremost with defending afterthought.  There has to be some balance and I suppose thats why I like the idea of Gormley or Justy at CHB. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Armamike

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 11, 2014, 11:49:59 AM
Illdecide, you and many more from outside the county feel the exact same way about Harte

Like you said you only met the man once and you have a certain view of the man. Loads more feel the exact same. Lovely man and for God Sake he won 3 AI's with ye. Leave him be!

I'm not in a witch hunt to get him out but I think you're being a TAD naive. IMHO Mickey has had a lot on his mind the last number of years and so has been passed out by other younger managers in the tactical nous of what it takes now to win an AI. He's a very very very stubborn man who doesn't like being told what to do by all accounts. Back in 2003 (from reading his book) he seeked advice and help from everywhere and talked very openly to his players and backroom team.
"From what I hear", now he hardly talks to anyone and players are almost scared to engage with him. I'm not sure now as I'm not there but that's what I've been told.
The constant chopping and changing of players the last 2 years seems a little strange and IMHO doesn't let a team develop or grow properly.
We've definitely got the players there to be a top 5 team I think but would someone like Jim McGuinness to a better job with them. Look how little his teams change. Look how everyone knows their job inside out. Look how Mal O'Rourke has turned around a mediocre Monaghan into a team that could maybe claim back to back Ulsters which is no mean feat.

Fair enough we might not have a terrible manager but sometimes there needs to be a change of direction and a clean break. I wonder how the players themselves would feel but of course if they speak out they'll probably suffer.

In very recent times Tyrone got to the AI semis last year and the national league final. Not a bad year by any stretch and not poor enough to suggest there's any issues with your management, especially given the large overhaul of players and the transition in recent years. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

ONeill

Cmon Tyrone. Do it for Philly Jordan who still has pains in his jaw after the Marsden assault.

Time for the new brigade to show us what they have.
Die for the jersey and all that shit.
Finger Jamie's eye. Those were the days.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

I wonder does Philly get much aggro at the Armagh games?

bennydorano

His Irish News column is excellent.

Any word of Armagh team? Not that'll make any difference, think we'll get a trimming.

tyroneman

Quote.RON has nowhere near the engine to play wing half forward at this level. Perhaps 11 but even then would he be able to track the runs of the likes of Colm Boyle or Karl Lacey. I really like him as a player and at club level he is phenomenal so hope it happens for him.         

I find it hard to believe you can't develop an inter county standard 'engine' unless you have a physical problem. Otherwise it's about desire, attitude and application to training.

I would love to see Ronan develop into a star but I'm just not sure why it's not happening. Is it a MH issue, a RoN issue or simply that we expect too much too soon from some players who were good minor players and don't let them develop. Mattie D had the sense to yo away and develop himself before having a run at senior IC football.

Quote. .  McNabb, Donnelly and Harte are three excellent players but seemingly are thinking of going forward first and foremost with defending afterthought.  There has to be some balance and I suppose thats why I like the idea of Gormley or Justy at CHB.         

McNabb is the most defensive of these 3. Tends to defend first and worry about going forward later.

Is there better in the county? Maybe, but they would need to submit to the system and that can sometimes be why they don't make the grade.

illdecide

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 11, 2014, 07:43:26 PM
I wonder does Philly get much aggro at the Armagh games?

Doubt it...although there is never a prat too far away.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

orangeman

Big crowd expected in Omagh. Mc Kenna cup is but a distant memory. Armagh can win this but I think Tyrone might fall over the line ( pardon the pun ).

naka

This game is is the red hands to lose
Just hoping that the orchard can lift their game and get a result
I think we are better than last Sundays performance and Tyrone are no great shakes .

Beantown

Tyrone to win tomorrow but not by much, maybe 2-3 points... The team selected does worry me greatly .  The forward line is nowhere near good enough to challenge for national honours... A strong Armagh defence will give them all they want.  If players are being picked for their athleticism well we better start looking at the best cross country runners and tri athletes in the county!!! I see a huge number of cyclists on the roads these days, maybe some of them would fancy a game... Meanwhile a lot of " footballers " getting overlooked....

DuffleKing

No bother buying tickets outside lads?